Options

Starting CCNP

valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I've decided to start my CCNP. I'm starting with ROUTE, so I'm reading "Implementing Cisco IP Routing Foundation Learning Guide." I'm planning on doing my labs with GNS3. My goal is to get the whole CCNP done in 12-15 months, so I'm looking at taking the ROUTE exam in July or August.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    bomber456bomber456 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey also in a similar situation, just starting to read that book, watching the cbt nuggets also which are great. and using gns3.
    but 12015months seems long, assuming you mean 12-15 :P
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Hi Valen.

I think that in 12-15 it is possible. You have plenty of time(it depends if you work or not).
    Start by 1st reading the books, then go to CBT or INE videos.
    Also dynamips/gns3 will help you a lot. Keep at it, and you will succeed.

Good luck!

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    Yeah, that was supposed to be 12-15. I do work and have a family that attempts to dominate my time, but on the plus side it's often slow at my job and I can spend at least a couple of hours a day studying if the phones are quiet.
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Hi guys, I'm currently 3 weeks away from my route exam. I've used the nuggets, OCG and GNS3. Assuming I pass, my route studies will have been 8 weeks in total with about 15 hours a week spent studying. I plan to spend 6 weeks on switch and 2 weeks on TSHOOT. Some might say these timescales are short, but I've been working with IP networks for 6 years and been troubleshooting telecoms systems for 15 years so my methods are well tested.
    My advice for study - Time management ; make your study hours count - know your objectives for your few hours and strive to achieve them.
    Use CBT nuggets for grabbing the basic concepts, then lab it up again and again. Finally read the book, which wil seem less weighty with the CBTs and labs under your belt - allowing you to absorb the fine details.
    Lab it up again
    Reserve your last week for revision and practise tests- you don't want to be trying to grasp a new topic days before the exam.
    Finally, more labs!!!!
    If I fail in 3 weeks then disregard all the above :)
    Good luck in your studies
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I did my CCNP in about 13 months, so it is definitely possible. I was probably only actively studying for 7 of those months though.
  • Options
    Just finished Chapter 1 of Implementing Cisco IP Routing Foundation Learning Guide. Lots of CCNA material review in that chapter. I also have a copy of the CBT nuggets series for ROUTE, but I'm not going to start on those until next week.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also starting the CCNP. I'm starting with ROUTE and using:

Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) FLG
    CCNP ROUTE OCG
    CCNP ROUTE Cert Kit
    CBT Nuggets
    INE CCNP Videos
    CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Portable Command Guide.pdf

and most important of all my home lab.

I just finished Chapter 2 (EIGRP) on the FLG and watched the CBT Nuggets EIGRP videos twice. Going to do a little bit more review on chapter 2 before I move on to Chapter 3 (OSPF).

I am also hoping to have my CCNP within the next 12-15 months.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'm working my way through the CBT Nuggets for the exam, a lot of it seems to be review for me.

I'm thinking I'm going to go for it within the next month or so, but we'll see how I feel after the nuggets and the FLG.

joe
  • Options
    I finished the first two chapters in the Foundation learning guide. I'm going to spend this week doing a couple of EIGRP labs (specifically, this one and this one before I move on to the next chapter.