Win 7 install from flash drive

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Ok, I have different sources that say different things. Some say to format the flash drive for fat32, others say ntfs. Does it really matter?

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Ok, I have different sources that say different things. Some say to format the flash drive for fat32, others say ntfs. Does it really matter?

It doesn't matter. I have done both and neither have stopped the installation from happening.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fat 32 works best
    steps
    cmd in admin mode (cmd crtl+shift+ent)
    disk part
    list disk
    select disk1 (replace disk1 with your usb disk#)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    exit
    d: (windows 7 dvd drive)
    cd boot
    bootsect.exe /nt60 e: (replace e: with the usb drive letter)

then goto my computer and copy the entire windows 7 disk to the usb drive make sure you have show hidden files so they get copied as well
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I do this on a daily basis at work and have been for some time. I have used fat32 a few times awhile ago when I first started because thats what the sources say to do out there. I have since used ntfs and have been using it ever since. I used the flash drive on everything from laptops to desktops. Pentium D's to Core I series setups. It has not made a difference in the slightest. Although if you want to use the flash drive with a windows 98 computer for data transfer then I guess you should format it as fat32.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Microsoft has their own tool for this. Works great, but is notoriously hard to find.

Microsoft Store Online

I've done installs with my 32GB Corsair GTR. Fast as hell. Just make sure you have an ISO to use. If you're a volume license subscriber, that should be easy. If not...google for IMGBURN and use that.

So stop doing it the old fashion way. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Microsoft has their own tool for this. Works great, but is notoriously hard to find.

Microsoft Store Online

I've done installs with my 32GB Corsair GTR. Fast as hell. Just make sure you have an ISO to use. If you're a volume license subscriber, that should be easy. If not...google for IMGBURN and use that.

So stop doing it the old fashion way. ;)

i tired doing it with that tool it didnt work unless i had the iso directly from msdn not an iso i made off my retail box
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: