Options

My CISSP Journey

13»

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    instant000 wrote: »
    CISSP Journey:

On March 9, I decided that I would pursue this cert, and asked the coworker to sponsor me. I had bought the Shon Harris book earlier, but had never opened it, due to studying something else for the job I had just started in mid-February. This might seem like a very short preparation schedule, but I'm not that busy at work (ssshhhhh), so I did hours and hours of studying at the office each day. (More studying than working, if that gives you any idea.)

I dont think there is anything wrong with studying on works time for certifications so long as you are on top of your job. This is essentially why you are employed. The issue is that managers and coworkers may not always see it like that. If you are busy at work there often isn't time to get into anything else engrossing. In an ideal world companies would realise that IT professionals need to get tooled to be able to do their jobs effectively and for far too long they have taken advantage of their staff who work long hours.

These employees spend significant private time evenings and weekends often at their own expense gearing up in the skillsets their employers require them to have when they are in the office. One problem is a lack of education amongst the people who are the taskmasters in the workplace. The reality of employee training needs to be sold to them in ways they understand so that at least some time for 9 - 5 selfstudy is both made available and encouraged. Cisco (for example) are rather good at this and its no surprise that most of the worlds CCIE work for the vendor. The situation can become vexed when employees are chasing certifications that are not directly related to the work in question. One could always study at lunchtimes, when you do get lunch, but that time should really be set aside for meals and R&R. Try and get some regular time on workstime to study agreed and put aside by your boss.

Often it is better to discuss this with your manager upfront than to try and do it by stealth because as careful as you are, people notice and it can cause friction in the office amongst people who either pick up your work, or feel they are doing so, or who are simply not certification inclined and spend the day working. The other advice I would give is if you do have an agreement, get the certification done. I recall one guy years back convincing his boss that getting the CCIE would help the company and he was very well supported in that endevour. He got plenty of workstime to prepare for the lab, and bootcamps, study materials, lab rack time and exams all paid for. After 3 failed attempts across 18 months he ran into issues with a new boss who came on board. I imagine he wondered what they were paying him for. The CCIE candidate left the company.

Congratulations on passing the exam!
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Turgon wrote: »
    I dont think there is anything wrong with studying on works time for certifications so long as you are on top of your job. Often it is better to discuss this with your manager upfront than to try and do it by stealth because as careful as you are, people notice and it can cause friction in the office amongst people who either pick up your work, or feel they are doing so, or who are simply not certification inclined and spend the day working.

When I first got to the office, we honestly weren't too busy. I was being productive by studying, instead of being on a streaming media site.

I guess the "shhhh" made it look like I was sneaking around. Not the case, the coworker I asked to sponsor me was my team lead. It's just not something to brag about, to be in a non-busy work area, you don't want to unnecessarily attract attention to the fact that there is a lack of work to do.

I could go the entire day, and do maybe one or two hours of work. I can assure you that others were not picking up for my work, as the work was not there to be picked up for.

As we were an all-male shop, we insulted each other to our faces freely, so if there was some tension, we would have discussed it. The only tension I might have brought into the office was competitive tension, as others realized that they were wasting time they could be using to improve themselves, and it actually got a couple of them inspired to start studying for certs during the downtimes. Heck, a couple are getting set for attending WGU also. :D I have such a rep at that shop for telling people to work on certs and education that they ask if I have stock in WGU or Pearson Vue :D

The work environment was a back shop, which meant we got any tickets to resolve before consulting the vendor. We rarely consulted the vendor, and even when we did, we solved the issue ourselves first. Most everyone working in the shop had 10 or more years of experience (so we knew what we were doing), but most had only Security+ certification, and no degree ... which could prove limiting, if they did get downsized at some point, or wanted to move to higher opportunities. I continually stressed it's not about the job that you have today, you keep that just by working hard, it's about the job you want to have in the future, you have to work even harder, to go after that one.

We were a little busier the past few months, due to some migrations, but honestly, not that busy. We'd get maybe a ticket or two for each of us through the course of a day. I took it as a sign that the shop would need to be eventually closed or down-sized, so I left to do something else ... this was my first government contractor position, no idea if they're all like this?
    Congratulations on passing the exam!

Thanks!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    instant000 wrote: »
    When I first got to the office, we honestly weren't too busy. I was being productive by studying, instead of being on a streaming media site.

I guess the "shhhh" made it look like I was sneaking around. Not the case, the coworker I asked to sponsor me was my team lead. It's just not something to brag about, to be in a non-busy work area, you don't want to unnecessarily attract attention to the fact that there is a lack of work to do.

I could go the entire day, and do maybe one or two hours of work. I can assure you that others were not picking up for my work, as the work was not there to be picked up for.

As we were an all-male shop, we insulted each other to our faces freely, so if there was some tension, we would have discussed it. The only tension I might have brought into the office was competitive tension, as others realized that they were wasting time they could be using to improve themselves, and it actually got a couple of them inspired to start studying for certs during the downtimes. Heck, a couple are getting set for attending WGU also. :D I have such a rep at that shop for telling people to work on certs and education that they ask if I have stock in WGU or Pearson Vue :D

The work environment was a back shop, which meant we got any tickets to resolve before consulting the vendor. We rarely consulted the vendor, and even when we did, we solved the issue ourselves first. Most everyone working in the shop had 10 or more years of experience (so we knew what we were doing), but most had only Security+ certification, and no degree ... which could prove limiting, if they did get downsized at some point, or wanted to move to higher opportunities. I continually stressed it's not about the job that you have today, you keep that just by working hard, it's about the job you want to have in the future, you have to work even harder, to go after that one.

We were a little busier the past few months, due to some migrations, but honestly, not that busy. We'd get maybe a ticket or two for each of us through the course of a day. I took it as a sign that the shop would need to be eventually closed or down-sized, so I left to do something else ... this was my first government contractor position, no idea if they're all like this?

Thanks!

So the gig involved a bunch of people hanging out at work spending most of the day either watching films or studying to further their own careers? All paid for by US tax dollars? Try the private sector. I can understand how people get comfortable but the lack of meaningful work in these places is really limiting their career prospects. It's 7am Monday morning here and Im already busy preparing for my meetings today for my commercial employer. We probably have graduates with a couple of years experience who have done more than some of the 10 year experience people in shops like you described. Join the party. You have a good work ethic so I think you will be fine, but a lot of people in comfortable jobs think they will be eternal. They forget that people higher up are aware of the waste and are busy making plans to eliminate it. In the private sector we have tight SLAs, pressure, work long hours and have a lot to do. When we recruit, we are less concerned with the qualifications as so many people seem to have them. What we are more interested in is weeding out the websurfers by finding out what someone has actually been doing at work. The more you have done on workstime, the more employable you are.
  • Options
    ericstericst Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The endorsement form seem to indicate that I can fax it or email it or mail it. Is it OK for me to email them the docs at programs@ isc2.org? Has anyone done that in the past?
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    So the gig involved a bunch of people hanging out at work spending most of the day either watching films or studying to further their own careers? All paid for by US tax dollars? Try the private sector. I can understand how people get comfortable but the lack of meaningful work in these places is really limiting their career prospects. It's 7am Monday morning here and Im already busy preparing for my meetings today for my commercial employer. We probably have graduates with a couple of years experience who have done more than some of the 10 year experience people in shops like you described. Join the party. You have a good work ethic so I think you will be fine, but a lot of people in comfortable jobs think they will be eternal. They forget that people higher up are aware of the waste and are busy making plans to eliminate it. In the private sector we have tight SLAs, pressure, work long hours and have a lot to do. When we recruit, we are less concerned with the qualifications as so many people seem to have them. What we are more interested in is weeding out the websurfers by finding out what someone has actually been doing at work. The more you have done on workstime, the more employable you are.

Yeah, it was my first government contractor gig, so I'm not sure that all of them are like that or not. My prior work experience was military service 6 years, then private sector for 5 years, then this contractor gig. I honestly was sitting there thinking: what the heck are these people doing?

I mean, when I was in the service, I seemed to be really busy all day long, and in my past private sector gigs, I'd be busy all day long, sometimes all night long, sometimes dreaming about the work, and on call and/or doing maintenance for the weekends too.

I don't know if that place was an anomaly or not ... it would take someone who's done several government contract gigs to chime in on that one ... but the contract at that old place is up for renewal, so they hopefully pay attention to work metrics, and downsize the staffing accordingly, or find a way to bring in more work. In defense of the staffing, they are in the middle of migrations from a legacy system, to a newer system (which already has staffing), and they did eliminate a couple positions already ... so maybe the cuts just haven't caught up fast enough ...

I guess I'm a bit busier at work now, as I'm not posting on techexams throughout the workday, LOL.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    ericst wrote: »
    The endorsement form seem to indicate that I can fax it or email it or mail it. Is it OK for me to email them the docs at programs@ isc2.org? Has anyone done that in the past?

E-mail worked for my case.

Have the endorser send the documents in, and CC you.

I didn't send them myself, seemed like it could just be a spoof (of course, I know full well that source e-mail addresses can be spoofed, but that's neither here nor there).
    mail from:mysupervisor@domain.com
    rcpt to:programs@isc2.org

:D
  • Options
    core22core22 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its now official icon_cheers.gif

CISSP Exam Taken - 2/20/11
    Results Received - 3/10/11 (Passed)
    Endorsement Submitted - 6/16/11
    Endorsement Received BY ISC2 - 6/17/11
    Final Result Received - 7/25/11 (awarded CISSP)
    Paper Certificate - Pending
    CISSP | GPEN | GWAPT | GCIH | CEH | CHFI | Security+
    BS - InfoSec, Drexel University - Summa Cum Laude
  • Options
    core22,

ISC2 received my endorsement on 6/29 which means I might have to wait another two weeks based on your turnaround.

Eric
  • Options
    ericst wrote: »
    core22,

ISC2 received my endorsement on 6/29 which means I might have to wait another two weeks based on your turnaround.

Eric

I called last week on Thursday and they were on those received on 6/15 so based on that, Friday they did those received on 6/16 and Monday they did those received on 6/17 (my batch) maybe? Really hard to say though, as the amount they have in the queue will vary day to day.
  • Options
    core22,

Congratulations on officially becoming a CISSP and thanks for the information. I will keep waiting for the email from ISC2.

Eric
  • Options
    cookeaj1cookeaj1 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So based on current times, ISC2 received docs 6/24, I should see something Monday??? We'll see! I cant wait to turn off all of my ISC2 email alerts/filters.
  • Options
    cookeaj1cookeaj1 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They must be watching this forum!

Exam Taken in Baltimore, MD (BWI Sheraton): June 4, 2011 @ 9 AM (Saturday)
    Results Received from ISC2: Wednesday 6/22 3:20pm
    Pass or Fail: PASS
    Endorsement Sent in: 6/24 9:51am
    Endorsement Received: Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    Final Result Received: Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Paper Cert:
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats guys!icon_thumright.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    cookeaj1 wrote: »
    They must be watching this forum!

Exam Taken in Baltimore, MD (BWI Sheraton): June 4, 2011 @ 9 AM (Saturday)
    Results Received from ISC2: Wednesday 6/22 3:20pm
    Endorsement Sent in: 6/24 9:51am
    Endorsement Received: Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    Final Result Received: Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Paper Cert:

Well just in case they are watching can you please approve my certification endorsement. So I can have my certificate, and start with my CPE points. This is almost worst than waiting on the exam results.

Exam Taken in Birmingham, Alabama June 4, 2011 @ 9 AM (Saturday)
    Results Received from ISC2: Wednesday 6/22 2:18pm
    Endorsement Sent in: 6/27 4:36pm
    Endorsement Received: Jun 28, 2011 at 9:08am
    Final Result Received:
    Paper Cert:
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Finally got the official endorsement sign off email!! So now its official.

Exam Taken in Birmingham, Alabama June 4, 2011 @ 9 AM (Saturday)
    Results Received from ISC2: Wednesday 6/22 2:18pm
    Endorsement Sent in: 6/27 4:36pm
    Endorsement Received: Jun 28, 2011 at 9:08am
    Final Result Received: August 1, 2011 at 3:05 p.m.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    Congrats !!
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    in the interest of collected stats:

Exam Taken in Reston, VA July 9, 2011 (Saturday)
    Results Received from ISC2: Tuesday 8/2 15:48pm
    Endorsement Sent in:
    Endorsement Received:
    Final Result Received:
  • Options
    TunYauTunYau Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.... Another journey begin...