OpenSource Licensing Which License

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Of the open source licenses which do you guys like the best and why?

Apache, BSD, CDDL, EPL, GPLv2, LGPL, MIT, Ms-PL, MS-RL

This is in relation to the creation of a CodePlex site for the Silverlight ChesSDK project being kicked around here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/65022-help-garage-project-silverlight-chess-library.html

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've always liked BSD due to its simplicity and not imposing complicated requirements on code reuse. Plus it makes it a whole lot easier to close things if you so choose later on down the road.

I should probably note that I am not a developer nor do I pretend to be.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first question would be what libraries is your application using (if any). Keeping compatible with the licenses of those libraries is going to narrow down the list of possible licenses you can use. For example, if your app uses a library that is licensed under the Mozilla Public License, then your app cannot be licensed under the GPL, as those two are not compatible.

I personally like the GPLv2 because it's open and ensures that the code (and all derived versions) stays open. The BSD license is a lot simpler, but it allows for cases like the TCP/IP stack in the first release of Windows NT using large chunks of code from BSD. You'll have to decide if you're OK with someone else using your work and not giving anything back.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My personal leaning is to LGPL as I do not care who uses what.

I don't plan on using any other libs in the actual library itself. I do intend on releasing some examples usinf stuff from the SL ToolKit but I those will be clearly distinct. The Library itself will be MVVM friendly so it could have WPF strapped on, etc. My personal opinion is that I want it to be used by as many people for as many purposes as possible. This is something I'm doing more to develop my skills and for the love of chess.

My only concern is that looking a source code from other devs may have poisoned my brain...
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a newb when it comes to licensing. The only thing I have remotely heard about from these is Apche for the most part and BSD. Researching somethings regarding the other types of licenses icon_study.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda