Options

pdf vs. printed certifications

martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
recived an email today where i have to decide if i want a printed version or a pdf.

what did you guys do? on the one hand pdf comes in handy for reprinting it if you need several copies but having your cert printed on a shitty s/w laser kinda makes me sad after i studied so hard for it ...

receiving a nice letter with something you can touch is like you finaly "get" something but having to scan it yourself is also a pain in the ...
And then, I started a blog ...

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always got the free paper one (and wallet card, letter of congratulations from John, and Cisco Press 35% off coupon on selected certification books).

Then I ordered (and paid) for an additional PDF version so I could print it out -- and I used card stock which worked great -- and toss it in a cheap $3 frame and hang it on the wall by my study area to use as motivation (to fill the remaining open wall space) for additional certification study.

I keep my original certificates in a fire safe -- and a CDRom with the PDFs in my safe deposit box. Oh, and the 15+ certificates in the cheap plastic frames are now filed away on a book shelf -- but I just pulled one down and looked at it, and it still looks great.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I go for the printed Cert, letter from John, and wallet card. I put the certs in a nice frame and hang them on my home office wall where I do all my studying when I'm home. I also scanned my certs and printed them and hanged them at work.

I say go for the printed one.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    There is something wonderfully self indulgent about getting that 'real' cert through the door ( especially after waiting nearly 8 weeks!!!)
    Mine are filed away safely, and a good quality scan of each hangs on the back of my study door.
    I sure I could make do with the PDF, but it wouldn't satisfy my childish self pride the way the hard copy does :)
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Chris_ wrote: »
    but it wouldn't satisfy my childish self pride the way the hard copy does :)

+1
    I feel the same way. :)
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    Haha. I will go for the paper one now that i know that i am not alone wanting to have that letter and a nicely printed cert in my hands.

By the way - back in the days when i made my MCSE on NT4.0 Microsoft sent out these nice little pins. Does Cisco give you those too?

@mikej412: how much is the additinal PDF?
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan on getting my printed certs and putting them into nice frames to hang on my home office wall where I do all my studying when I'm home. It is a very satisfying and motivational feeling being displayed properly compared to looking at it online or as a PDF file. I can't wait to be able to have the MCSA/MCSE and CCNA on my wall icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Haha. I will go for the paper one now that i know that i am not alone wanting to have that letter and a nicely printed cert in my hands.

By the way - back in the days when i made my MCSE on NT4.0 Microsoft sent out these nice little pins. Does Cisco give you those too?

No, no pins. Just a wallet size card saying you are Certified. I think it's nice.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I got all of mine before they changed the outside vendor who does their certification tracking web site and certificate fulfillment, so it may be different now. But back in the "old days" you were allowed to buy additional copies (up to 2 each I think) of the electronic pdf version or paper version for $15 -- and expedited shipping via DHL for paper copies was $15 (which you could select as an option for your "free" copy, which jumped you to the top of the queue and would get you your certificate within the week).

I guess I should visit the Certification Tracking system and poke around and see if anything has changed.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    viper75 wrote: »
    No, no pins. Just a wallet size card saying you are Certified. I think it's nice.

Oh a wallet card is nice. But pins are much cooler although i never used them...
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one... I like digital stuff, and then I can print them however I want, on whatever paper I want. Plus, I will NEVER lose them, even if my house burns down because I do daily backups to my office via VPN icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm getting BOTH when I earn my CCNA. From what I've studied so far it's goingto be a cert that has much more meaning to me than the CompTIA trinity combined.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.