Options

CCNA Secuity newbie

gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
Hi Guys,

I finally decided to start on the Cisco Sercurity track. I have always been interested in Network Security and now is the time to start my studies. Currently I work for an Internet Exchange Point and have alot of downtime at work. I know most of you guysa re very knowledgeable and I hope I can learn a great deal from you. Any Tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
you'll never get it done"

Comments

• Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    viper75 wrote: »

Got them. Now time to start reading
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    gaby_978 wrote: »
    Got them. Now time to start reading

Get GNS3 and start doing a bunch of zbf and vpn labs.
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Mike's notes in the stick are REALLY good.
    Make sure you are familiar with vpn and zone bases firewalls in the sdm, both can be done in gns3. Also, have a switch on hand for the layer 2 security stuff - not sure if this can be dine in an etherswitch module in GNS3, I must try it!
    This really isn't a difficult exam, but it's heavy on the theory and light on the practical - which doesn't suit my learning style of 'make it work and learn from your mistakes'!!!
    The Cbt nuggets are really useful to get over the dryness of the material - but as always, missing some of the fine detail, so make sure you've got a copy of the cert guide.
    Anyway, good luck in your studies.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Buy a 4pack of Redbull before attempting to read about the first chapters in both the Implementing Cisco IOS network security and the Official Certification guide by CiscoPress. It took me a couple or rereads to get through it.. Thick stuff if it's your first time reading it..
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hahaha...I lived off RedBull reading the 1st chapters. So True!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Thank you guys for all your input. I am currently half way done readind the sticky notes and also watching the CBT videos. I will definetely give GNS a try although I rather use reall equipment. I currently have 3 2500, 2 2600 routers and a 2924 switch. The bad part is that I believe my 2600 are not XM so I am unable to run SDM on them. Is it possible to run SDM with GNS3? if so, I will try to get get it working over the weekend.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is it possible to run SDM with GNS3? if so, I will try to get get it working over the weekend.

Yes.

GNS3 • SDM on GNS3 : HOWTOs
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thank you guys for all your input. I am currently half way done readind the sticky notes and also watching the CBT videos. I will definetely give GNS a try although I rather use reall equipment. I currently have 3 2500, 2 2600 routers and a 2924 switch. The bad part is that I believe my 2600 are not XM so I am unable to run SDM on them. Is it possible to run SDM with GNS3? if so, I will try to get get it working over the weekend.

Very easy, just be careful with your java versions. I'm not at home right now but I'll post back how I got mine working in Win7x64.