Options

CPUs and Motherboards Question

poszeoneposzeone Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
i'm doing my study's and they say L1 cache is the fastest, but all the new CPU's do not have L1 cache, why is that ? is L1 cache realy that big of a deal ?

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well processors do have level 1 cache in fact here is some info on processors from both Intel and AMD in which they talk about there cache.

AMD Athlon? II Processor Model Numbers and Comparisons - About 2/3s down the page

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/324692.pdf - look in 1.1

L1 cache isn't a real big deal any more compared with L2 or L3. The amount of L2 and/or L3 cache is what you hear them talking about any more.

Some of the reason that L1 isn't really looked at any more is most processors since about the Pentium/Pentium II era have had L2 and L3 built in the processor IC. Before then it was common to see a L2 cache on a board near the processor on the motherboard or not at all.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    poszeone wrote: »
    i'm doing my study's and they say L1 cache is the fastest, but all the new CPU's do not have L1 cache, why is that ? is L1 cache realy that big of a deal ?

What source(s) are you using to study from?

It would be helpful to know the context in which the author may have stated his/her opinion...at the time of their writing, or based on how they are describing something as the 'best' of one idea over another is relative.

Likewise, the source may be stating something as a 'general' principle, so clarification will be helpful.

So, if you could provide a bit more of where you found your information, the members can reference this and provide better feedback.

Since you posted in A+, are you asking because you are studying for the A+? Or do you actually want very detailed discussion? For A+ a general understanding is typically acceptable at this level. The more you know the more you'll know, but general is my guess at what you may be after, correct?

Thanks
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    What source(s) are you using to study from?
    I;m doing my Mentored Learning Session at new horizons Computer school (TAA is paying for it) .
    It would be helpful to know the context in which the author may have stated his/her opinion...at the time of their writing, or based on how they are describing something as the 'best' of one idea over another is relative.
    from what it looks like the teachin in ML was record around 2008

• Options
    Then perhaps you will find this of use to aid your studies:

Intel's L1 & L2 &L3 Cache - CPUs - CPU-Components

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Intel_Nehalem_arch.svg

Do you have a text you are referencing in this course?

And yes, L1 is the 'fastest' but it is the smallest in capacity.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options

this was some good help in clearing things up.
    Do you have a text you are referencing in this course?
    no, ido not.it was a review question in 1 of the module's i'm going through.by the way i found out there from career academy that new horizons use self study time .
  • Options

no, ido not.it was a review question in 1 of the module's i'm going through...SNIP

Generally, it is frowned upon to ask homework questions in forums, and this is not a homework forum, there are sites geared toward homework help.

Next time, be forth coming with this information rather than having it pulled out. Members will help answer questions that YOU have, but will not answer your homework questions. And this doesn't mean that you get creative with how you ask the question, but you need to come to the table with WHAT you know and ask for help in understanding the part you don't quite understand. Make sense?

So, if they do not have you following along with a text, what DO they provide to you for this class? (Simply curious as I'm not a huge fan of their programs...a couple are ok, but I've had the misfortune of being in a few and they were not worth the cost (IMO), but others have stated they enjoyed their courses (so it may depend on how the center operates).

Ex, how do they expect you to answer the question you posted in the original post here? Would you have learned this information from lecture? Or are you supposed to research it yourself?
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Generally, it is frowned upon to ask homework questions in forums, and this is not a homework forum, there are sites geared toward homework help.
    it wasn't a homework question. i don't get homework.the way they do the A+ is 2 weeks of class then watch video's (like the testout,but not as good) then answer question about what you watch. i asked the question because i didn't not know the deference.
    So, if they do not have you following along with a text, what DO they provide to you for this class? (Simply curious as I'm not a huge fan of their programs...a couple are ok, but I've had the misfortune of being in a few and they were not worth the cost (IMO), but others have stated they enjoyed their courses (so it may depend on how the center operates).
    well, i have been blessed to be able to go to school, becouse the job i was at moved to Mexico, so we got what is called TAA ([FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Trade Adjustment Assistance) which pay's up to $10,000 in schooling.

now, as far as the school...i have been in 3 classes now.
    1.Comp TIA A+ - 10 days
    2.Comp TIA Linux + - 5 days
    3.Comp TIA Security+ - 5 days
    (i have 5 more classes to go)

now,i was rushed though these classes with no pre-study time.

the classes are Instructor-led training and that all goes down to how good the teacher is. the A+ was good and the linux was not,
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Security was ok.

in class you get a pdf book on the course.no hardback books!

after that you watch video's (like the testout,but not as good) then after each video lesson you answer questions(known as review questions) about what you watched.

that is really all there is. so,it really goes down to what YOU do to study .
    that's why i ask question's ..like about the
    [/FONT] L1 cache.

by the way thank you for your help and asking questions .

oh,by the way i go to the one in San Diego.
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
    [/FONT]
    Ex, how do they expect you to answer the question you posted in the original post here? Would you have learned this information from lecture? Or are you supposed to research it yourself?
    well,most likely the teacher probley said L1 is faster (i can't remember) but i know the video did but didn't say why and didn't say anything about L3 or why L1 is faster in detail. i just wanted some more insight on this .
  • Options
    gunmetalgr3ggunmetalgr3g Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    L1 is fastest because in older models it was the closets to the CPU, and now its built directly on the CPU.. That is what I can remember from the Pro. Messer videos and its expensive
  • Options
    it wasn't a homework question. i don't get homework.the way they do the A+ is 2 weeks of class then watch video's (like the testout,but not as good) then answer question about what you watch. i asked the question because i didn't not know the deference.

But repeating a question that was already asked of you (such as a review question or one from 'homework' or self-study) is still having someone else do the homework ;)

Come to the table with what you DO know...i.e. if you didn't understand L1 vs L2 vs L3, mention that you have a question from your review materials in the class you are taking. You know that L1 is the fastest based on your class, but you may ask something such as "Is this true today? Or Why is L1 faster than L2? Or How has L1 speeds changed over the past generations of CPUs?"

It simply comes down with allowing the community to better understand WHAT you need and will also prepare the members for answering you better. If you don't disclose you are asking a question that you have from 'homework' or some self-study material, the first problem is that it is not your own question and it is bad etiquette to use another person's question without citing the source. Second, when members read posts that show you are in the middle of a class and have a question that you need more clarification on, you'll likely see better answers than if you tried to hide that you are in a class or borrowed the question from another source.

I think you understand what I was saying by your last reply, and I understand you didn't intend anything from your post. I simply want to help you and others get the most from the forum and the members here.

in class you get a pdf book on the course.no hardback books!

But you DO receive some type of material in manual form...so is this a book they have written (i.e. the publisher is New Horizon? Or do they have a PDF from another publisher? Or is it simply the instructors personal notes?

by the way thank you for your help and asking questions .

You are welcome.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Come to the table with what you DO know...i.e. if you didn't understand L1 vs L2 vs L3, mention that you have a question from your review materials in the class you are taking. You know that L1 is the fastest based on your class, but you may ask something such as "Is this true today? Or Why is L1 faster than L2? Or How has L1 speeds changed over the past generations of CPUs?"
    yes , i suppose this would be a better way of putting it :)
    you DO receive some type of material in manual form...so is this a book they have written (i.e. the publisher is New Horizon? Or do they have a PDF from another publisher? Or is it simply the instructors personal notes?
    yes , i was just saying no hardbacks because some people complain about this at some school's . i don't mind because i have a tablit so i can read book's anywhereicon_study.gif took a look at the pdf book and it is by axzo press the instructor does use it as a outline though.