Options

Northern VA

networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
Anyone here in the area? I took a new job in Herndon and will be moving up next week. I don't know anyone or much about Virginia so any advice on places to go, groups to join etc would be appreciated. And if anyone wants to meet up for a beer some time hit me up!
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Anyone here in the area? I took a new job in Herndon and will be moving up next week. I don't know anyone or much about Virginia so any advice on places to go, groups to join etc would be appreciated. And if anyone wants to meet up for a beer some time hit me up!

I'm here for a few more weeks then moving to Baltimore. I live in DC, but work in Nova. What do you want to know about the area.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Places to hang out, meet some like minded people, technical groups in the area. Good places to eat, shop etc. Any family friendly stuff also if there is anyone with kids in the area. Just anything you think a new person would find useful in the area basically.
  • Options
    Places to hang out, meet some like minded people, technical groups in the area. Good places to eat, shop etc. Any family friendly stuff also if there is anyone with kids in the area. Just anything you think a new person would find useful in the area basically.

Like Minded people in the Tech world are here, but we are so far spaced out there are very few meetups. CCIE meetup that is ran has a few people in the area. I'll PM you those details when I get home, some of those guys are in the area.

As far as places to eat. I'm going to be honest with you. DC food sucks. Its overpriced and not good at all. In the Nova area there are some good Chinese places that are decent. I can't think of the names off the top of my head.

I don't have any children so I can't speak much on it, but fairfax county has the best school system in the country and there are great activities for the kids all over the place. Sports are pretty top notch for kids too. If you have the money your kids will have a great time.

Where do you plan on living? In the area. Live as close to your job as possible. 15-20 miles away can turn into hours with the traffic here.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Thanks for info. I'll be living about eight miles (in Ashburn) from my work so hopefully the commute won't be horrible.
  • Options
    Thanks for info. I'll be living about eight miles (in Ashburn) from my work so hopefully the commute won't be horrible.

Ashburn is the real sticks. But you have a family so it works.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I live in Virginia (Hampton). Thats like 3 hours away from Ashburn -_-. I may be looking in the wrong places but tech-related jobs seem non-existent here. As far as hangout spots, couldn't tell you about Ashburn. I've been there for an anime convention though!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    Ashburn is the real sticks. But you have a family so it works.

Yeah, its a bit out there. I have three kids and a couple dogs so anything that fits us closer than that costs an arm and a leg.
  • Options
    Yeah, its a bit out there. I have three kids and a couple dogs so anything that fits us closer than that costs an arm and a leg.

If I remember correctly you were in the army. Maybe some of the people you knew are stationed at Ft Belvior or Ft Meade.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□

I might be coming down there at the end of this year. Been looking in the fairfax county area which isn't too far away.

There are plenty of museums and such in DC for the kids and family and they always have new exhibits so they don't really get old. I have to disagree about the food from the other poster though....I really enjoy DC food (yes it can be a tad expensive), but if you spend some time learning the different places to eat they are quite good.

I will concede that traffic is horrible...but it's nothing compared to up here in NY icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I live in Northern VA as well. Ashburn isnt really the sticks now. Its getting pretty built up due to all the govt people moving out that way.

Im out in Gainesville, now where I live is the sticks. Its a good thing I work from home!

Ashburn is close enough (20 min) to be able to do anything in DC. DC as plenty to do. What company in Herndon are you working for? My last company had a large office in Herndon, but I worked in Reston.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Ashburn used to be the sticks 20 years ago but not anymore. The schools in Loudoun County are almost in the same league as Fairfax County. This was because an influx of people making over a million a year from Maryland several years ago when Maryland decided to impose a millionaire state tax.
    Your commute from Ashburn to Herndon is a dream commute. I’m driving from Fairfax to Ashburn and that takes about 45 minutes. I’m guessing your commute will be around 20 minutes.
    I have yet to hear anyone complain about living in Ashburn. I’m looking to move into the area myself.
    There’s just about everything you need in Loudoun. See some links below.
    Loudoun County Home
    Dulles Town Center :: 21100 Dulles Town Circle, VA, 20166-2400 :: 703.404.7120
    AshburnWeb: The online community guide for Ashburn, VA
    Good places to eat….
    Carolina Brothers (I can’t get their website to come up so try the link below.) Used to be the old general store for Ashburn. There chicken BBQ is to die for and I think it’s better than their pork.
    Carolina Brothers Pit Barbeque
    A REAL Irish pub run by REAL Irish people.
    Ofaolains | For A Real Taste Of Ireland
    Pretty decent Sushi
    Akira Japanese Restaurant
    Lots of Thai food in the area too. Here’s one of my favorites.
    burapathaiclassic
    Tons of Pho places. Here’s a good one.
    Pho Bistro
    30 years ago route 28 was 2 lanes from route 7 to Manassas. Not anymore. It’s 6 lanes all the way.
    Metro is expanding and maybe coming to Dulles Airport. Which would be nice. Going downtown during the week is a pain but the weekends aren’t too bad.
    Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport is great, kids love it and it is 15 minutes from Ashburn. Remember all the Smithsonian Museums are FREE including the National Zoo. But at Dulles, you have to pay for parking ($15.00) per car.
    Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
    Smithsonian
    Oh yeah, if you are a foreskin….ooooppss, I mean redskin fan you will be in hog heaven because Redskin Park is in Ashburn. It used to be a dairy farm.
    Welcome to Virginia!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cool! Congratz on your new job icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. Im heading up that way today. Driving sucks......
  • Options
    NoVa jobseekerNoVa jobseeker Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi! I'm also new in Northern Virginia.

I'd like to ask if anyone have information about the company, Software Catalysts, Software Catalysts

The recruiter who called me was very nice. They responded to my application within minutes of sending my resume. I applied for a Business Analyst position. However, the recruiter told me that I have to pay $1000 downpayment for the training. The downpayment is refundable after 6 months of commitment.

I will not be in their payroll (therefore no salary) until I get hired by one of their client companies.

Anybody here had the same experience?

I am kinda skeptical of going to the interview with the manager 'cause I really don't have money to pay them. PLUS I don't have enough money to waste on gas anymore. I had been going to interviews with "IT recruiters" only to find out that the job they posted is no longer available. I have to wait again for their call for a possible job leads.

p.s.
    I have 3 years of experience in testing, analysis, and programming.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□

The best advice that I can give is if you plan on really staying with that company, then I would live in or very near Herndon. Traffic is a huge problem so getting a place close to work is key to your sanity. There are also toll roads in the Herndon area, so if you plan on going that route, I recommend getting an EZpass to fly through the tolls without having to stop.

I can't really help with places to go, there are a ton of museums, so you will find something to do. Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi! I'm also new in Northern Virginia.

I'd like to ask if anyone have information about the company, Software Catalysts, Software Catalysts

The recruiter who called me was very nice. They responded to my application within minutes of sending my resume. I applied for a Business Analyst position. However, the recruiter told me that I have to pay $1000 downpayment for the training. The downpayment is refundable after 6 months of commitment.

I will not be in their payroll (therefore no salary) until I get hired by one of their client companies.

Anybody here had the same experience?

I am kinda skeptical of going to the interview with the manager 'cause I really don't have money to pay them. PLUS I don't have enough money to waste on gas anymore. I had been going to interviews with "IT recruiters" only to find out that the job they posted is no longer available. I have to wait again for their call for a possible job leads.

p.s.
    I have 3 years of experience in testing, analysis, and programming.

Avoid anything that makes YOU pay at all costs! You are looking for a job, not to pay someone. These scams are ridiculous.

Thanks for all the advice to those who responded. I started my new job Monday and things are looking pretty good in the area so far. The traffic isn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Its much worse trying to get home from New Orleans to Metaire in Louisiana then from Herndon to Ashburn! Maybe I've just been getting lucky these past two days though so I'll see. I'm barely into Ashburn though so its not much of a drive.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    PM sent. We're practically neighbors. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Avoid anything that makes YOU pay at all costs! You are looking for a job, not to pay someone. These scams are ridiculous.

Thanks for all the advice to those who responded. I started my new job Monday and things are looking pretty good in the area so far. The traffic isn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Its much worse trying to get home from New Orleans to Metaire in Louisiana then from Herndon to Ashburn! Maybe I've just been getting lucky these past two days though so I'll see. I'm barely into Ashburn though so its not much of a drive.

Keep in mind that its Spring break in Fairfax county this week. Wait till next week.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Keep in mind that its Spring break in Fairfax county this week. Wait till next week.

Thinking the same thing. My drives home have been 45 min instead of the usual hour 10.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Plenty of good bars and stuff to do in Richmond but that is a lil hike down the road from you
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looking at Northern, VA again... Is there any way to live in a quiet, low cost place? I would need to travel to Reston and Ashburn.

I know this is a loaded question but everything I see is just silly in prices... I don't want to go 600k into debt, it just seems stupid.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been looking at Northern VA for the past couple of years, since I started my current job with my company that is headquartered in the area. It actually seems rather impractical to live there based on the traffic and cost of living. What I have seen on the GSA payscales is that the gov't believes NoVa is about 8% more expensive to live in than Indianapolis... which I have to think is just ridiculous... I honestly think it is about 50% more expensive. The greatest disparity, in my opinion, is housing. While comparable houses may be 8% more expensive, they miss the entire middle price range for housing... it is either slum-type housing or 4000+ sq ft all brick homes.... nothing like a 2-3k sq ft vinyl home. So, if you want to at least not live in a slum, you have to move up to a more expensive home.

I originally was thinking of Leesburg before I ever made the drive through the area. That would be a crazy daily drive though... I drive much further today, but it would probably take me twice as long. Plus, Leesburg looks like slums to me, at least the area I passed through.

My thoughts about moving are simply to stay with my company if my contract goes away. I would love to work at my company for 6+ years (currently at two). The 401k match carrot is rather large and becomes fully vested at 6 years.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    I have been looking at Northern VA for the past couple of years, since I started my current job with my company that is headquartered in the area. It actually seems rather impractical to live there based on the traffic and cost of living. What I have seen on the GSA payscales is that the gov't believes NoVa is about 8% more expensive to live in than Indianapolis... which I have to think is just ridiculous... I honestly think it is about 50% more expensive. The greatest disparity, in my opinion, is housing. While comparable houses may be 8% more expensive, they miss the entire middle price range for housing... it is either slum-type housing or 4000+ sq ft all brick homes.... nothing like a 2-3k sq ft vinyl home. So, if you want to at least not live in a slum, you have to move up to a more expensive home.

I originally was thinking of Leesburg before I ever made the drive through the area. That would be a crazy daily drive though... I drive much further today, but it would probably take me twice as long. Plus, Leesburg looks like slums to me, at least the area I passed through.

My thoughts about moving are simply to stay with my company if my contract goes away. I would love to work at my company for 6+ years (currently at two). The 401k match carrot is rather large and becomes fully vested at 6 years.

This is exactly what I've researched... It just seems like the middle class homes were completely skipped. And the condo/apartment living is so saturated that it doesn't look appealing.

It's crazy to see Ashburn being completely full of these enormous looking buildings and nothing else.

Reston has some decent places but has the problem of their crazy community fees.

I guess the homes south of the Dulles airport are being held on to by their owners. Blah.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    I've been living here in Ashburn for about seven months now and I love it. It is quite expensive if you are coming from a lower cost of living area, but just make sure your employer pays you accordingly! :) The quality of life up here is pretty nice and my whole family loves it.

If you are going to be going between Reston and Ashburn and want something fairly affordable I'd look into Sterling. Traffic is pretty crappy around here, but going between Reston to Ashburn really isn't that bad. Maybe a 30 or so minute drive during rush hour which sucks, but really not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Feel free to hit me up and I'll try to get you any info I can.
  • Options
    What do you love about it?

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Its quiet, low crime, great schools (if you have kids), plenty of things to do in the general vicinity, everything you need is close by. I don't have to travel more than 10 minutes from my house and I can be at the mall, movie theater, grocery stores etc. It's just an all around good place to live. Especially if you are raising a family. I can be to DC in about 45 minutes (non rush hour of course). The closest metro station is about 20 minutes away which kind of blows, but they are in the process of building the metro out here now. I usually take a drive to Vienna and hop on there and take it into DC.
  • Options
    I was trying to guess who you make work for a few months ago, but it so many good places in the area you could be anywhere. I'm always looking to work with the best and brightest in the field. Steel sharpens Steel.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow.. ive been really thinking about looking into the area myself.. Ive been getting calls like crazy from headhunters with prospects in the area.. Just havent decided yet since I have a big family I would moving.. but you making it sound like it might be worth it :)
  • Options
    I think its worth it as long as you get a good opportunity. Its not cheap, but its a great place to live and work for tech folks like us.