Options

CCNA Exploration Eagle Server - Please Help

jmsa7jmsa7 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. OK so this is what brings me here:

I'm currently pursuing a CCNA certification. I need to use a so called "Eagle Server" to do my lab exercises. I have the Linux Live CD (FEDORA CORE 3 KERNEL 2.6.12) and I have installed it on a laptop that I have (TOSHIBA EQUIUM M50-164, PSM57E). This laptop had Windows XP installed, so I created a 4GB FAT partition and booted with the Live CD. I chose the option installonFAT, then after rebooting (with CD in the tray) I chose runondisk.

eagleserver.jpg

Ok, here is my 1st problem: I need the CD in the tray every time I want to run Linux. Without the CD, it boots to Windows XP. Also, according to Eagle Server documentation, any modification to the server is available even after reboot. Well, that is not happening to me. Does someone have a clue why the server doesn't save the modifications? Is it because I need the Live CD to boot, even after I have installed on a FAT partition?

Another problem I have:

I need to connect the Eagle Server to a router using the Fast Ethernet LAN port:

eagleserver2.jpg

Eagle server supports only 1 network interface card, eth0. When I first run the server it showed me that the hardware mapped to eth0 was my wireless adapter. There is no option to disable it in my BIOS, so I just removed the hardware myself. After rebooting it show eth1394 on eth0. I presume that is the FireWire Adapter.

What can I do so that eth0 is mapped to my LAN adapter (Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet)?

Is there a way do disable FireWire?

Please remember that due to 1st problem above, any changes to the server are not available after reboot icon_sad.gif

So the main problem is that I can't ping from Eagle Server to the router and vice-versa icon_sad.gif

If I could get any help on this, I would be greatly appreciated. Please note I'm a beginner in using Linux.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    God I hate the Eagle and Discovery servers! Ok rant over, I tutor at a school for the Cisco Discovery program. The Eagle Server has a VM you can run in VM Player if you can get your hands on it. You can build one of the Discovery Server if you have VM workstation.

I strongly recommend against the Live CD as it is full of bugs (admitted by Cisco). You can attempt to run it that way and it will work sometimes but I do not recommend using a portion of the hard drive. Instead use a flash drive formatted for FAT.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you doing these labs on your own or for the actual netacad program? If your just doing them own your own for self study i honestly wouldn't even bother with the eagle server. The most its really used for is so you can data flow in wireshark better, however you can really just download them from the internet or a local machine in your network and produce the same results. And as Chris said eagle server is a pain in the ass thats really not worth it considering its only used for the first few chapters of the first discovery class.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1