Options

How long did you study for security +?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work in the industry about 2.5 years before I started studying for my Network+. I studied for about 2-3 weeks and passed.

This Security+ stuff is kicking my butt though, just not used to the tests anymore I guess.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    instant000 wrote: »
    Cool.

I only had the Security+ prior to going for the CISSP myself (still pending final word from ISC2, as you can see from my profile, as I'm only Associate still).

Of course, experience is the biggest thing you need for it, honestly. I don't want to call the exam easy, as I'm not sure what I scored on it, but it is definitely achievable ... just a lot of material, that's the part that makes it a little scary to many.

Yea that's one reason I want the Security+ first, as I think it would be a good prep to cover the bases, and then I can get into the more detailed CISSP info. At $500+ each test, it's not something I can afford to be repeating.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    mosh36mosh36 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends. Was able to get Network+ in 2 weeks and Security+ a week after that. Studied a couple of hours a day and about 6-7 hours on weekends.

Get the right material, do practice exams. You'll be fine. They were both pretty easy IMO.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wow, you woke up one of my 1st threads. Good times.
  • Options
    DoodaDooda Banned Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

I studied for Sec+ for about a month and I took the test two days ago. I passed with an alright score icon_wink.gif

I used CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Exam Cram by three different authors that I can recall their names now. Also, watched professor messer vid on youtube which were very helpful.
  • Options
    stopdroppstopdropp Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The military sends 18-20 year old kids with little/no prior IT experience through a 7-day sec+ course. (Officially 9 days but first day is processing everyone in and last day is the test itself). They have something like a 80-90% pass rate from what i understand.
    Granted they're hitting it all day every day but take that for what you will in terms of adequate study time.
  • Options
    ccollins42ccollins42 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I received the book, studied for about 2 weeks and passed the exam.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    About 4 weeks or so.
  • Options
    xdilemmaxdilemma Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It took me five weeks to study and pass.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Don't mean to Hijack this post, but I hard people were from Michigan? I'm sorry, go Buckeyes!
    Never stop learning.