Running a Virtual Network

AJJ28AJJ28 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I wanted to get more experience with servers and thought perhaps i could get a maxed out laptop load virtual box on it and run one server with a Vista and 7 Machine virtualized as well. Is this possible?

Also, I understand what DNS, DHCP,exchange servers are but are they just services I can run on a server...which in this case would allow me to run them or do they need to be on seperate machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your laptop is "maxed out" then you will have no issues running that and more.

My home lab is a virtual environment running on an older dual core processor and 8GB of ram. I run the following at one time:

3 Server '08 (one is core install)
    1 Server '03
    2 XP
    1 Win 7
    1 Linux (Backtrack)

Everything is networked with virtual switches.

My processor is the weakest link but still keeps everything running pretty smooth. Although I plan on upgrading to a six core soon.

I use VMWare Workstation for this. Not too familiar with Virtual Box but from what I am told, you can do all the same stuff.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    how do you run virtual switches?

and is there a way to have virtual routers in the mix as well?
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is just a built in part of VMWare Workstation. It is just a generic virtual switch. Don't know about virtual routers though.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    If you want less overhead, VMWare ESXi or Proxmox Linux are your best solutions. However, both of these options take over your computer completely.

I have a machine dedicated to virtualization and GNS3. I'm using Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V right now, but that changes like the wind.

I only have a dual core cpu and 6b of ram and it works well running 5 or 6 VMs. The VMs are on their own hard drive. Disk IO can be a bottleneck too, but the CPU with hardware virtualization and RAM are more important.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    It is just a built in part of VMWare Workstation. It is just a generic virtual switch. Don't know about virtual routers though.
    Regular VMs can function as routers, for example with Windows setup RRAS, or with Linux use iptables. There are also Linux and BSD distributions purpose-built for this task, for example:
    www.vyatta.com
    m0n0wall
    Express Open Source Firewall Project
    pfSense Open Source Firewall Distribution
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV