Options

CCENT on Monday

Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
Planning to take CCENT on Monday. Been labbing it up with Packet Tracer and finishing up LearnKey videos this weekend and some last minute skimming through the book for additional information not covered by LearnKey/OnlineExpert.com and then hitting the Boson exam engine that came with the book...

Feeling kinda good about this one, the commands are very simple and easy to remember (at least compared to the stinkin commands I had to memorize for Server 2008 anyways, icon_razz.gif) and I've got a firm understanding on how each routing protocol works and the difference between Distance Vector and Link State, throw on top of that the Network+ knowledge I carried over from my studies on that a couple of months ago, the subnetting and quick ways to tell the number of hosts and networks based on / notation... yeah, I just got a good feeling about this one, can't wait!
-Michael Palmer
WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come

Comments

• Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Do subnetting drills. Make sure you can do it in your head (that's what I did) so then when you take the test and write things down you'll be lightning quick.

*EDIT*

Good Luck!
  • Options
    yeah I've been doing that already actually. My head is kind of wired for math already so I never expected it to be hard, it's pretty simple multiplication and divsion for most of the stuff. I'll try to knock out the case studies in the Boson exam in under 3 minutes each (minute for each question, I started doing some of them yesterday and noticed that they seem to be 3 questions each). I figured if I can average about 3 minutes on case studies and maybe a minute or less on all other multiple choice questions then I should be fine as far as time for the exam goes.
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I dunno if I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm still catching up with most people here on TE forums. icon_redface.gif Are you really THE Michael J. Palmer that writes several technical references?

By the way, good luck on your exam Monday. I know you can do it. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man, for ICND1 you don't need to know the difference between distance vector and link state protocol. All you need to know is the the fundamentals (OSI, TCP/IP model), the different cables, the show commands, a little bit of switching and routing (RIP), and a lot of subnetting. Also, know about the data-link CDP protocol.
    Also know the process a packet takes to reach the destination (it always changes the source and mac address when it goes to a remote network, for instance). the router has to decapsulate the frame and encapsulate it with a different source and mac address and stuff... know that. The ICND1 exam is not as easy as you think. It also has some WAN stuff on it. Good luck.
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    fslima0 wrote: »
    Man, for ICND1 you don't need to know the difference between distance vector and link state protocol. All you need to know is the the fundamentals (OSI, TCP/IP model), the different cables, the show commands, a little bit of switching and routing (RIP), and a lot of subnetting. Also, know about the data-link CDP protocol.
    Also know the process a packet takes to reach the destination (it always changes the source and mac address when it goes to a remote network, for instance). the router has to decapsulate the frame and encapsulate it with a different source and mac address and stuff... know that. The ICND1 exam is not as easy as you think. It also has some WAN stuff on it. Good luck.

This is pretty much it. But ICND 1 can be tricky - specially if you have some experience and skip some of the basics because you think you know all about it from former jobs/certs....

I had some Questions about real basic stuff and i was "whoa what the ****" ....
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    Good luck manicon_thumright.gif
    mine too scheduled on monday :)
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    -DeXteR- wrote: »
    Good luck manicon_thumright.gif
    mine too scheduled on monday :)

Good luck to both of you
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good luck to both

just practise subnetting
  • Options
    I dunno if I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm still catching up with most people here on TE forums. icon_redface.gif Are you really THE Michael J. Palmer that writes several technical references?

By the way, good luck on your exam Monday. I know you can do it. icon_thumright.gif

Nope, didn't know that there was a guy with that name that does write technical references. Michael Palmer is a very common name, I decided to use my name up here so it could match my job search email michael.j.palmer@live.com just trying to go that extra mile when it comes to being professional.

Thanks for the support guys, will let you know how it goes after Monday.
    -Michael Palmer
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck on monday
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Boo! Worst thing that could possibly happen (besides failing) has happened. Due to the twisters that hit Raleigh and the rest of Eastern NC the test center is having some problems with testing. I won't be able to test until maybe Wednesday if I'm lucky... Bleh. I hate being ready and having to wait.
    -Michael Palmer
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Boo! Worst thing that could possibly happen (besides failing) has happened. Due to the twisters that hit Raleigh and the rest of Eastern NC the test center is having some problems with testing. I won't be able to test until maybe Wednesday if I'm lucky... Bleh. I hate being ready and having to wait.

Look on the bright side, at least the testing center didn't get carried away. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow. What a story. Interference from the hand of God.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

And hopefully Good Weather!! icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck today!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Good luck!
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU