Options

In dire need of resume help

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here is my resume, what should I do to make it better? I have gotten no calls back. I've only applied for about 3 entry level support jobs.

I've only had one job and I still work there. I got the job 5 years ago as a senior in high school and I'm really ready to make the next step.

XXX XXX XXX Ave, XXXXXXX, VA XXXXX • Phone: (XXX) XXX-XXXX • [COLOR=#0000ff][U][EMAIL="jsnake100@gmail.com"]jsnake100@gmail.com[/EMAIL][/U][/COLOR]
 ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………
 [I]A highly dedicated and dependable individual seeking an entry-level technical position within a respected company.[/I]
 ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

[U][B]Highlights:[/B][/U]

[LIST]
[*][SIZE=2][B]Hardware:     [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Cisco Routers and     Switches[/SIZE][SIZE=2][B], [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Installing     PC hardware[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=2][B]Software:[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]     Microsoft Office suite[/SIZE][SIZE=2][B],     [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Some     Active Directory[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=2][B]Operating     Systems: [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Windows and     Ubuntu(Linux)[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=2]Knowledge     of computer networking including routing and switching, VLANs,     subnetting, cabling and installation[/SIZE]
[/LIST]

[U][B]Education: [/B][/U] 
     [SIZE=2][U]Tomas Nelson Community College (TNCC)[/U][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=2]    Pursued an [/SIZE][SIZE=2][I]Associates of Science in Computer Science        [/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2](Aug 2007 - May 2010)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][U]Old Dominion University (ODU)[/U][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=2]    Pursuing a [/SIZE][SIZE=2][I]Bachelor of Science in Computer Science        [/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2](Aug 2010 - Present)[/SIZE]

[U][B]Certifications:[/B][/U]
 CCENT[SIZE=2]                            (Febuary 24, 2011)[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=2]    Work in progress: Comptia A+, Security+            (Expected to be completed in April)[/SIZE]

[U][B]Professional Experience:[/B][/U]
 [SIZE=2]Customer Service, Farm Fresh[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=2][I]Customer Service Representative, [/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Hampton, VA                (October 2006 - Present)[/SIZE]

[LIST]
[*][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Maintain     customers satisfaction either by telephone or face to face by     respond promptly to customer inquiries, handle and resolve customer     complaints[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[*][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Keeping     detailed records of customer and store transactions[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[*][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Communicate     and coordinate with store departments and other store facility[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]

[U][B]Key Competencies:[/B][/U]

[LIST]
[*][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Interpersonal     skills[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[*][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Excellent     communication skills – verbal and written[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[*][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Excellent     work ethics[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[*][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]First-rate     problem analysis and problem-solving skills[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[*][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Customer     service and satisfaction orientated[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]

Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bearing in mind that I'm used to CVs, it looks a little bland.

Take a look through this thread and you should get a few ideas of some changes you could make. It might also help in beefing it up a bit.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Pursued an Associates of Science in Computer Science"

So do you have a degree or did you just pursue one?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I always like to see a professional email address - even if its only one for you create for resume purposes (something like jjackson@gmail.com, etc.)

Keep trying. Get your A+ and Sec+, and apply for 15-20 jobs. Enhde(?) is shooting to apply for 100 within only a few months.

Ditto on the bland - but I don't think it's really your fault, it's tough to get in and get the experience. I'd suggest maybe volunteering for some kind of organization (even a church or something) and helping with their tech issues (some churches here actually employ tech staff). You could write up a cover letter, and explain that although you lack formal experience, through your studies and labbing experience you feel that you are qualified and prepared for an entry level position.

Try some of these out - but overall, don't get discouraged just from 3 positions w/ no results.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I really don't like seeing entry level. Even if you are, convince them that by hiring you they are getting a bargain and you'll be an asset to your employer!

How about this:
    A highly dedicated and dependable information technology professional seeking a challenging and rewarding help desk or desktop support position.

You could of course adjust that, but you get the drift :) You're a professional. I'm sure of it....why? Because you act like one, dress like one, and are certified like one. Maybe you are entry level but it won't hurt to leave that part out! Keywords like help desk, "information technology", "support", and "desktop" will help you come up in more search results.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    ehnde wrote: »
    I really don't like seeing entry level. Even if you are, convince them that by hiring you they are getting a bargain and you'll be an asset to your employer!

You're also asking to get shafted pay-wise saying that if you were to get the job. It screams desperation IMO. Some places will get offended if you think it's entry level as well.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »

How about this:

You could of course adjust that, but you get the drift :) You're a professional. I'm sure of it....why? Because you act like one, dress like one, and are certified like one. Maybe you are entry level but it won't hurt to leave that part out! Keywords like help desk, "information technology", "support", and "desktop" will help you come up in more search results.

Oh sweet I'm gonna steal that for my resume! Thank you, kind sir!
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I did complete the associates degree. Also, I will likely change that "entry level" statement at the beginning, I thought it was a pretty bad idea but wasn't sure. Also, I will change the email address!

Ehdne, I hope you don't mind me using that but it's better than what I had.

I'm not too sure if these employers read and tossed the resume or if they even considered me. And I have followed up with one of them and I have to say, it is a little discouraging to get NO RESPONSE AT ALL in return. No thank you letter, no email replay, nothing. I'm not saying that everyone HAS to do that but at least I'd know I didn't get the job and not that someone forgot about my resume or overlooked it.

One of those employers told me to get A+ and security+ and apply. I'm almost through and before I finished, he asked for a resume. -_- I sent him the one posted above. I waited a week and got no response so I followed up via email. He didn't respond to that either. Should I attempt to give him a call once I finish A+ and Security+ which is going to be really soon? He told me to keep in contact and to get those certs, and I did just that.
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Ehdne, I hope you don't mind me using that but it's better than what I had.

Of course I don't mind. I can't begin to tell you how much excellent advice I got here on techexams myself.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Also guys is there anything I CAN do to make this look "less bland"?
  • Options
    stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the best thing you can do is try to get any experience to buffer your resume.

Volunteering, while not a financially rewarding thing, is very rewarding in terms of character of the individual, and the volumes it can speak on a resume. Not to mention, the people you can meet are typically capable of speaking for you when you do go venture out for a paid job. The result is you get someone with a title to put on your resume for a reference. You get some hands on experience in a situation where nobody is going to necessarily fire you, and you never know who you can meet in the process of doing so....maybe even your next boss.

I suggest it, because in a down economy, the guy collecting unemployment doesn't have a lot of positives to show for his downtime. The guy collecting it and volunteering his time while doing so, shows a motivated individual, and that is what will stand out.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't let the lack of responses get to you. If they couldn't be bothered to acknowledge your application - even with a free emailed template response - then it doesn't say much for their HR operations and staff management.

Just my €0.02
  • Options
    I can think of alot of things you can do to improve your resume, but I was hoping one of the resume pro's would chime in to comment on that - I don't feel like my advice is as good as some of the other posters in the resume threads...so take what I say with a grain of salt.

• Get rid of the highlights and key competencies area.
    • Put the skills you've listed under highlights into your professional experience if at all possible (I know that's hard since your only job was a CSR rep)
    • Center your name, address, phone number, and email centered at the top. One per line. First line your name, second line address, etc...
    • Change the word "Pursued". You're done and graduated, right?
    • They don't need to know when you started and finished at your college/university. Either Give them the month and year you graduated, or just the year.
    • Take your "key competencies" and turn that into a well written cover letter.
    • When you elaborate on your experience as a CSR, what software did your organization use? Did you submit "tickets" or something like that? What ticketing system did you use? Did you do order processing/order entry? What system did you use? Did you have an excellent record of customer satisfaction? Resolve alot of complaints? Definitely mention that!
    Sometimes people recommend combining your certifications and education into one section (I did this on my resume).
    That's all I got. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I'm guessing you transferred credits from your CC into ODU? I'd remove the CC section and simply put ODU from 2007-present.