Options

DNS question about hostname lookup

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
I just read the section on DNS and hostnames in the CCENT Sybex book. I am confused how this DNS server you configure gets the hostname/ip information from each router or device you configure with a hostname? how does the DNS server you choose to use get all the info about the hosts and their IP addresses?

I know what DNS is and how it works and i assume that you would have to configure the DNS server itself with this info? Does anyone do this in a lab environment?

The way the Sybex book makes it sound is that the DNS server already has this info from the different devices on the network.

Comments

• Options
    gonXgonX Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The dns server gets this information once you add the host A records its like doing host tables except its more centralized for easier management. DHCP can do dynamic dns registration where the hostname and ip address is added right into the dns lookup zone for your dns domain. In the labs when I use DHCP on multiple routers I have a separate server setup with dns with static host records it works, not sure how to setup DHCP on cisco routers to do dynamic dns registration.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    At least part of DNS server's zone configuration is entered manually, so that's a pretty normal process. Depending on how dynamic the zone is, the rest of records may be added either statically(manually) or dynamically (automatically).
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    gonX wrote: »
    The dns server gets this information once you add the host A records its like doing host tables except its more centralized for easier management. DHCP can do dynamic dns registration where the hostname and ip address is added right into the dns lookup zone for your dns domain. In the labs when I use DHCP on multiple routers I have a separate server setup with dns with static host records it works, not sure how to setup DHCP on cisco routers to do dynamic dns registration.

yeah doing dynamic registration is what I was thinking about. So you have to manually add it to the DNS server you use and configure your device to use.