Options

Resume Photo

djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
I have a general question. What does everyone here feel about including a professional resume photo with a resume? It's required here in Germany and I figure if it's a good photo, why not include it for the States resumes as well?
WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed

Comments

• Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    It would probably get passed around the office for everyone to laugh at before going in the trash.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know it's illegal to discriminate here in the states, however why take the chance? That gives them all the ammo they would need, your general age, your race etc. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I think we all know that a lot of people do.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I know it's illegal to discriminate here in the states, however why take the chance? That gives them all the ammo they would need, your general age, your race etc. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I think we all know that a lot of people do.

I agree with your logic, but what if the cover looks good? Here in Germany one wears a dress shirt and tie to a resume photo shoot and a professional attractive photo can get the visual discrimination out of the way a lot quicker. We all know it would happen during the interview process anyway and a photo saves everyone the time and stress of an interview if the looks aren't up to par. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Photos in resumes just isn't a common practice here in the States. It's often viewed negatively no matter how good the picture is.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the MiddleEast as far as things go - a photo is a must and which most companies ask for .

Feels though it is sounds a bit discriminatory - thats the requirement ..
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    Photos in resumes just isn't a common practice here in the States. It's often viewed negatively no matter how good the picture is.

I'm a native Floridian and before I moved to Germany, I thought the same thing. Why would anyone be required to include a picture with a resume? After spending some time over here and getting to know the culture, I now agree with it. In Germany there are actually classes that people can enroll in to determine what color clothing and makeup (for women) are appropriate and best for each individual. Looks are in fact important after all, otherwise why would an individual get so spiffed up for an interview?
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, dont do it. you might want to, but dont...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    I don't think it's a good idea.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I agree that in theory it could be beneficial but in practice deviating from the normal cultural resume standards of the US never looks good.

As an employer I would take it as you don't understand how to properly apply for the job in the US. If you want to be taken seriously you have to conform to the cultural standards for the region in which you're applying.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    As an employer I would take it as you don't understand how to properly apply for the job in the US.

That was my first thought. Might think you are a foreigner thats not professionally adapted, which may or may not be a negative, but no need to risk it IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I agree that in theory it could be beneficial but in practice deviating from the normal cultural resume standards of the US never looks good.

As an employer I would take it as you don't understand how to properly apply for the job in the US. If you want to be taken seriously you have to conform to the cultural standards for the region in which you're applying.

Good point. Thanks for the advice. I'll relay that to my girlfriend as well.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    djfunz wrote: »
    I have a general question. What does everyone here feel about including a professional resume photo with a resume? It's required here in Germany and I figure if it's a good photo, why not include it for the States resumes as well?

I think if you were a hot girl a picture would get you a lot of interviews going by the number of connections some of the hotties have on linkedin. Many of the recruitment agents and female executives have some seriously good looking pictures. It seems to be competitive on there.

If you were not so hot or a bloke I would avoid doing this unless an application required it of you. The world isn't fair and people have a tendency to make stupid assumptions based on looks. Let people focus on the substance in your resume. They can always see you later and be pleasantly surprised by your magnetic personality and insane good looks.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Save the photos for the social media BS! I've never seen a resume which included a photo around here because they don't make it past HR for some of the reasons stated above.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    LazydogLazydog Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    djfunz wrote: »

Yeah, I remember this all to well while applying for a few jobs in Germany while I lived there.

Here the thing I don't like about this, it give the hiring/HR manager a change to form an opinion before they event get to know you or interview you. If there is some thnig they don't like about your picture you could not get the interview.

I also don't like the some of the questions they do ask you here in the states as well. Like race and age to name a few. This allows them to discard your resume before they even know if you could do the job.
    --

Regards
    Robert

Smile....... it increases your face value!
  • Options
    ViLeNTViLeNT Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I think if you were a hot girl a picture would get you a lot of interviews going by the number of connections some of the hotties have on linkedin. Many of the recruitment agents and female executives have some seriously good looking pictures. It seems to be competitive on there.

If you were not so hot or a bloke I would avoid doing this unless an application required it of you. The world isn't fair and people have a tendency to make stupid assumptions based on looks. Let people focus on the substance in your resume. They can always see you later and be pleasantly surprised by your magnetic personality and insane good looks.

Looks like you beat me to the punch :-p I was listening to the radio this morning one studies done regarding hot girls posting their photos on their resume and getting all sorts of phone calls / interviews setup. Life just isn't fair icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lazydog wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember this all to well while applying for a few jobs in Germany while I lived there.

Here the thing I don't like about this, it give the hiring/HR manager a change to form an opinion before they event get to know you or interview you. If there is some thnig they don't like about your picture you could not get the interview.

I also don't like the some of the questions they do ask you here in the states as well. Like race and age to name a few. This allows them to discard your resume before they even know if you could do the job.

I believe those are EEO questions, and you dont have to answer them.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    Save the photos for the social media BS! I've never seen a resume which included a photo around here because they don't make it past HR for some of the reasons stated above.

As a guy that has been in the hiring manager role, I would have to say leave the picture off of your resume. There are a number of EEO issues that have been mentioned in this thread and as a result we dread resumes with pictures.

If you really want to have a picture or similar it is perfectly acceptable to include a url to linkedin where you can post your picture. If you do include a linkedin url make sure your profile is professional and doesn't include any questionable material or look like a facebook/myspace page of a 13 year old.

Regards,

~CP
  • Options
    As a guy that has been in the hiring manager role, I would have to say leave the picture off of your resume. There are a number of EEO issues that have been mentioned in this thread and as a result we dread resumes with pictures.

If you really want to have a picture or similar it is perfectly acceptable to include a url to linkedin where you can post your picture. If you do include a linkedin url make sure your profile is professional and doesn't include any questionable material or look like a facebook/myspace page of a 13 year old.

Regards,

~CP

That's an interesting idea. Include a URL to a LinkedIn page. A chance to give the company even more info before candidates are chosen for an interview. In my opinion, this would also show more initiative from the candidate because they took time to create and maintain a LinkedIn page to begin with. Thanks.