CCNA Security Lab

mzbagasramzbagasra Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I am planning to buy CCNA Security Lab. What you guys recommend? there are so many ebay deals, I don't know what should I look for? please help.

btw I am thinking of using same equipment for future studies in CCNP.

Thanks.

Muhammad

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are some pretty nice setups listed in some of the existing threads in this section.

A few good materials are:
    Packet Tracer (if you're a Cisco Networking Academy alumni or student) http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/PacketTracer.html
    GNS3 (GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator)
    Amazon.com: CCNA Security Lab Manual (9781587132490): Cisco Networking Academy: Books.
  • mzbagasramzbagasra Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I saw this on site. what you guys think?

One Cisco 2611XM 256/48 upgraded memory 12.4 Dual Ethernet Router
    One Cisco 2610XM 256/48 upgraded memory 12.4 Router
    Two Cisco 2950 Switches
    Two WIC-1T Serial Modules
    One DTE/DCE back to back cable
    Four Power Cables
    Console cable kit
    Two Ethernet Crossover Cables
    Three Etherent Patch Cables
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    From my notes in this thread:
    all you really need is 1 x 12.4 k9 IOS router, 1 x 12.x k9 IOS router, and 1 x 12.x IP base IOS switch.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
    mzbagasra wrote: »
    I saw this on site. what you guys think?

One Cisco 2611XM 256/48 upgraded memory 12.4 Dual Ethernet Router
    One Cisco 2610XM 256/48 upgraded memory 12.4 Router
    Two Cisco 2950 Switches
    Two WIC-1T Serial Modules
    One DTE/DCE back to back cable
    Four Power Cables
    Console cable kit
    Two Ethernet Crossover Cables
    Three Etherent Patch Cables
    Hardware-wise, this kit will suffice. Software-wise, you want to ensure that the routers come with at least(*) Advanced Security version of the IOS (or that you can obtain it). Also, I cannot remember off the top of my head if IDS is included in Advanced Security, you may want to verify that through the Cisco Feature Navigator.

(*) See this scheme for IOS inheritance tree.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    Can I go with GNS 3 route? and which IOS will work, please help icon_sad.gif

Thanks.
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Do u think this will help me in future for CCNP?

Thanks.

For fun you can go here and look at what a CCIE Security Rack rental lab looks like.. Way more than you need at this point but intresting..

http://www.ine.com/downloads/security_rack_rental_hardware_specifications.v5.004.pdf
    Hmmm.... looks interesting
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also in need of switches so I'm also in your position. The 2950's I think would be good to have in any lab because they are so cheap, but they will not help you much with CCNP because they are not layer 3 switches. For that, you may want to consider 2 3550 switches, they cost more but are about the cheapest layer 3 switches you will probably be able to find. Just make sure you don't get a 3500XL switch, (IE 3548XL), these are layer 2 switches!!

Personally, I don't like GNS3. Its good if you can't get actual equipment, (be it cost or storage issues), but if you can there really is nothing like having an actual rack of Cisco equipment to play with. Simple things like backing up or loading a new IOS is something you just can't do in a simulator, and personally GNS3 is just too buggy to compare against having actual equipment. That's not to say I don't have it installed and use it, it's great to put on your laptop to take with you on the go! But for me, most importantly, working on actual equipment builds confidence that I would never get using a simulator.

Plus GNS3 doesn't natively emulate Cisco switches so at the very least you should be buying some layer 3 switches for your CCNP switch studies. I also have 2 2600XM series routers which so far seem to work ok for my CCNA Security studies, but I haven't yet tried to create a VPN tunnel and I read somewhere they may not be capable, (I'm hoping that's not true!). My school uses two 2801's and I think a 2611XM to connect the two....but the 2801's are really expensive, (bout $400-800 each), so good luck getting 2 of those!
    Thanks everyone, I passed the exam today.
    Thanks everyone, I passed the exam today.
    Out of curiosity, did you end up putting a lab together, or did you pass without using one?

GetCertified4Less
    I did use gns3 plus cisco 831 router for sdm. To practice IPS \ ZBF \ ACL thru sdm.
  • nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did use gns3 plus cisco 831 router for sdm. To practice IPS \ ZBF \ ACL thru sdm.
    congrats bro
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • yallaenyallaen Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just curious...when you set up GNS3, what IOS did you load into the sim?