Options

Passed CCNA! Looking for suggestions on what next.

Chrisjag92Chrisjag92 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I finally passed the CCNA with a 933. Success! icon_cheers.gif

As I continue to look for a job, hopefully within the networking field, I'd also like to continue to study to not only keep up to date with what I currently know, but also further my skills.

I assume going straight from CCNA to CCNP without on the job experience would be much too difficult.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to something I could move on to with self-study and not have TOO much trouble grasping the material? Looking to head in the direction of another cert.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

You can read Network Warrior. Then you can start reading Doyle's Routing TCP/IP volumes (don't let the CCIE scare you) to help keep your new skills fresh -- and maybe upgrade them some more -- as you look for a job.

If you need some more resume candy -- the CCNA Security is a good next Certification.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chrisjag92 wrote: »
    I assume going straight from CCNA to CCNP without on the job experience would be much too difficult.

If it can encourage you, I did it in 4 months self-study and the beauty of the CCNP is that for each exam you're focusing on 1 specific aspect instead of the many blended topics of the CCNA
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    If it can encourage you, I did it in 4 months self-study and the beauty of the CCNP is that for each exam you're focusing on 1 specific aspect instead of the many blended topics of the CCNA

That would be a benefit seems its condensed into pin point topics vs everything with the ccna. I would be tempted to persue ccnp but like many say it might be to much for someone that has just completed ccna and has limited on the job experience ?

I notice you also have a ccna voice cert. I am really interested in voice but I have read a few overviews of the voice topics and obviously it is a total different area with all new terminolgy and not to mention I would need to buy a whole new lab with correct routers and modules to make some phones ring.

Does anyone think ccna voice would be a preferred option vs going straight to ccnp ?

• Options
    huwwatkinshuwwatkins Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends on your routers - you might just need to buy the cards.
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    mattau wrote: »
    That would be a benefit seems its condensed into pin point topics vs everything with the ccna. I would be tempted to persue ccnp but like many say it might be to much for someone that has just completed ccna and has limited on the job experience ?

I notice you also have a ccna voice cert. I am really interested in voice but I have read a few overviews of the voice topics and obviously it is a total different area with all new terminolgy and not to mention I would need to buy a whole new lab with correct routers and modules to make some phones ring.

Does anyone think ccna voice would be a preferred option vs going straight to ccnp ?

If you would like to do it -- I'd say why not? I am in the process of going for my CCNP with about 6 months of Cisco-only work experience.

Only you can hold yourself back. Granted, it may be tougher for someone who doesnt have the experience but I am letting my passion make up for it! ;)
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I am chickening out on the ICND2, need to bite the bullet and do it.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mattau wrote: »

Voice is another world, you're right!
    It is a slow expanding technology, so you have to learn 100 years of history, how it began, you have to understand how work the actual telephony system and the VoIP one plus all the conversions so they both tie togheter with the 99,999% rule!

Voice is probably the hardest path of Cisco certifications but you don't need that much knowledge about advanced switching for CCNA Voice.
    I have not reviewed the new 461 blueprint, but in the 460 i only faced some PoE commands and Voice VLANS commands.

This is mostly the only "advanced switching stuff" you'll face in the *NA Voice. The old blueprint was much focused on T1's, Pots theories, UC500, Unity express and UCME CLI.

So, it's up to you. If you have no knowledge about voice, maybe you should consider going for your NP right now! But it is not mandatory, if you want to go for NA voice