Hard Bound Certification Books

DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
How do you keep your hard bound books open when you are, for example, reading and labbing on your PC at the same time?

Comments

• bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Search for the "Jasmine Book Stand" on Amazon. I used to have the same problem, as well as neck issues because I would attempt to look down at my books while I was typing notes. These book holders really save your neck, and I've had mine for like 3 years now (all through college) and it shows no signs of breaking or anything. One of the best investments I've ever made for certification-related purposes.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pints of beer or heavy ring magnets.

Failing that, they fit nicely under the bottom bezel of the monitor to my left. Secondary books get put on the PC case - kept open by edge of desk or a handy IDE hard drive. IDE drives still have their uses.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I use the Dovetale Bookstand and the Editor's Desk from Levenger. They also have book weights which I've considered -- but the Editor's Desk works great so I haven't gotten one.

I've also got the Book Buggy which is great for wheeling around all the books (and laptop(s), Kindles, and Android Tablets) for Certification study between my quiet reading area, desk study/note taking area, the hang with the cats so they know I'm still alive study area, and the airplane engine test facility (which is the actual home lab/data center area -- and what it sounds like when a bunch of stuff is running). I cringe at the current price and wonder what they are thinking -- but I'm pretty sure I paid a bunch less (or bought it on sale).

I've also got the Lap Desk and a Laptop Lap Desk from them.

And now I'm thinking of getting my 10" Android tablet a Tech Stand from Levenger.

Hum. I guess I consider my Certification Studies a profit center or long term investment, rather than an expense -- so nothing but the best for my studies and study accessories.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mikej412 thank you for this cool find or hate you maybe. I saw the lapwriter lapdesk for $50 (half price) and made an impulse purchase. Been looking for something like that for a while. Thanks again
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Hum. I guess I consider my Certification Studies a profit center or long term investment, rather than an expense -- so nothing but the best for my studies and study accessories.

Exactly.

Now I am thinking I will just get a second monitor than can pivot and just use PDF's. Does anyone have any recommendations for size or resolution?
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Size and resolution depend on the distance and angle from your eye level to wherever the monitor(s) will be positioned on your desk.
    I usually use a 4:3 17" TFT for my general pdf/excel/etc. screen positioned off to the left of my main monitor. Res. 1280x1024. Distance: arm's length.
    Two other things to bear in mind are:
    1. Resolution will depend on your eyesight. Play with your existing screen, if you can, to see how it feels in different orientations, and resolutions.
    2. Possibly leave the new widescreen monitor on its side and tell the video driver S/W that it's to compensate. A good pan/tilt/swivel mount will probably cost you about twice as much as the screen. I do audiovisual too ;)
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    Exactly.

Now I am thinking I will just get a second monitor than can pivot and just use PDF's. Does anyone have any recommendations for size or resolution?

I have been very happy with an HP w2207h for almost 3 years. It is 22 inch and auto rotates with a very sharp picture. Being an HP, Vista and 7 recognized it by model. I operate it at 1050 x 1680 resolution and I just drag a PDF to it and have a quite large full page PDF display with or without page thumbnails. My main display is a 28 inch i-INC which runs off of the same Nvidia 8800 based video card. The Nvidia control panel lets me run the i-INC at a different 1920 x 1080 resolution which is great because the main display is on a 3 system KVM.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO