Options

Stressing About Studying and Practice Tests

AuditLizAuditLiz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Updated - I passed the test this morning with an 832. I probably studied 40-50 hours total mainly with Darril's book and a little with free online practice exams. As noted below, I had a very light technical background but am generally a good test taker. I am so happy to be done with it and in the end the exam was much more governance and less techy than expected, which suited my background well. Thanks for the kind words last week.

I am taking Security+ in 11 days. I have been studying about 6 weeks, and have gone through Darril's entire book a few times. I come from an audit background (hence the name), and I have a CISA but this is my first technical cert. My managers wanted me to take this before getting my CISSP (no idea why).

I have been doing well on the tests in Darril's book (85-90 percent), and read from the reviews on Amazon that this should be all I need to pass. However, when I take the CompTIA practice questions, EVEN OPEN BOOK, I am struggling. Last time (not open book) - I got a 73. Even with the open book I am barely passing.

What else can I do to prepare? Or should I be set if I keep reviewing Darril's book? I am generally a very good test taker but this is really stressing me out.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    I wouldn't worry about it.

I got an 818 on the Security+ test and I never even got close to passing the CompTIA questions icon_lol.gif.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    AuditLiz wrote: »
    I am taking Security+ in 11 days. I have been studying about 6 weeks, and have gone through Darril's entire book a few times. I come from an audit background (hence the name), and I have a CISA but this is my first technical cert. My managers wanted me to take this before getting my CISSP (no idea why).

I have been doing well on the tests in Darril's book (85-90 percent), and read from the reviews on Amazon that this should be all I need to pass. However, when I take the CompTIA practice questions, EVEN OPEN BOOK, I am struggling. Last time (not open book) - I got a 73. Even with the open book I am barely passing.

What else can I do to prepare? Or should I be set if I keep reviewing Darril's book? I am generally a very good test taker but this is really stressing me out.

Thanks for any advice.

I got a 70 or something on those practice questions from CompTIA's site. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you read Darril's book more than once, you should be able to pass with no problem.
  • Options
    kvermillion1kvermillion1 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you are ready, 6 weeks is overkill for this exam. Maybe you are just having trouble with the comptia exam questions format. Try preplogic for a few hundred practice questions. but you should be ready by now.
    :study: Certified: CompTIA Network+, Security+
    Up Next: CCNA, MCITP: SA(70-640,70-642,70-646)
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been studying for about 5 week now, I just tried the CompTIA practice exam and got a 73%. I have read Darril's book once, and am going over it a second time. I have also completed the PrepLogic Video Training.

Is this practice test supposed to be harder? There are concepts I don't recall seeing in Darril's book, like 802.11i

[Edit]

I just did a search for 802.11i in Darril's book, it was referenced once, and not very detailed. Man, this test looks like it has some crazy stuff in it.
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually, based on AuditLiz's original post, I am rating about the same.

Darril's: 83.33% on Assessment, 88% CH1, 90% CH2, 72.73% CH3, etc... I am going over areas where I am weakest, like encryption.

PrepLogic: About the same with an average of 78-80%

CompTIA: 73%
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're ready go for it!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    AuditLizAuditLiz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Updated above with my information.. I passed!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63