Options

Beginning with the CCNA Security

xavierdsxavierds Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Today the 13 June, a month after I began to study, I've passed the exam. Now let's move for the CCNP !!

Original message

At first is my first time writing here, so "hi to everybody" ;). I can say than you're gonna to see me a lot around here and I hope I could help sometime too.

I've finished my studies last year and since them I've been wondering if I would choose the path of IT in the networks domain or in the Java Development. It has been very difficult for me since in my last job I was doing both of them but now I feel is time for me to grow as an engineer and I think I need to know more about networks before to continue with my other side ^^.

I've been reading your recommendations and I've a doubt about some of the material.

It's the blue guide from Cisco the same as the lab manual ?

My idea is to study with the help of the notes from mikem2te (thanks a lot for your help), the series from CBTNuggets.

For the book, from what I see I've just the same doubts than everyone. Did I need the book of Michael Watkins or Catherine Paquet. I think I need to sleep one night, in order to be able to choose the right book :P

And that's all ;)

Comments

• Options
    Maced129Maced129 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got my Catherine Paquet book today, everyone said they liked her version better. That and the fact I met her before, influenced my choice :P
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I heard the self study guide is much better than the cert guide. I read a lot of bad reviews on the cert study guide. I went with the Self study guide myself which is by Catherine. I cant wait to tackle it after my CCDP exam.

You should also pick up these free study notes, i hear a lot of good things about these as well.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-security/50118-ccna-security-study-notes.html
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    I've just bought the ccna security labs and self study guide, now I just need to wait a few days.

Thanks for your advice it help me to choose the book ;)
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I'd also recommend the CCNA Security Lab manual. It's a decent buy for the price and includes much of what you need to do to pass the exam.

Amazon.com: CCNA Security Lab Manual (9781587132490): Cisco Networking Academy: Books
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    I'd also recommend the CCNA Security Lab manual. It's a decent buy for the price and includes much of what you need to do to pass the exam.

Amazon.com: CCNA Security Lab Manual (9781587132490): Cisco Networking Academy: Books

x10 icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    This morning UPS brought me the Lab Manual from CCNA Security and the Self Study from Catherine Paquet, so beginning tomorrow I will study 3,4 hours every day. I want to try to pass this exam in 2, 3 weeks, going to see if it's possible.

Thanks for your help guys ;)

Now it time to icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    xavierds wrote: »
    This morning UPS brought me the Lab Manual from CCNA Security and the Self Study from Catherine Paquet, so beginning tomorrow I will study 3,4 hours every day. I want to try to pass this exam in 2, 3 weeks, going to see if it's possible.

Should be achieveable, I did it in 4 weeks with 2 hours a day. Although, i was a little more focussed than usual as I realised my CCNA was about to expire and saw this as more beneficial (and maybe easier) than resitting the CCNA - I only had 4 weeks!!!icon_rolleyes.gif
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Yeah I took it once already but barely failed with a 753. It was a horrible day and the testing center kind of screwed up my chi before taking it but oh well. I'm going to revisit it as my CCNA is up at the end of the year.
  • Options
    At the end I took me more weeks to feel prepare for the exam, but I'm glad to say that I passed on my first try with 977 points. With the certification guide and the notes I found on the page I had more than enough.

Now I'm going to take a break until July, I've a japanese test the first week and I want to pass this summer the CCNP Route. So let's rock !!!

Thanks for your help ;)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    this forum has been so inspiring.... i will fire up my CCNA sec ASAP......
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nethacker wrote: »
    this forum has been so inspiring.... i will fire up my CCNA sec ASAP......

I actually enjoyed studying and sitting the CCNA Security. Good stuff!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    viper75 wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed studying and sitting the CCNA Security. Good stuff!
    did u ever use a training video?that's what i'm using though and i have been thinking if i should get the books and the lab manual as suggested by senior members on this forum.so far i have been enjoying the reading but just wondering if GNS3 will be enough to see me through the CCNA:sec. moreso i have not seen any past questions.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    nethacker wrote: »
    did u ever use a training video?that's what i'm using though and i have been thinking if i should get the books and the lab manual as suggested by senior members on this forum.so far i have been enjoying the reading but just wondering if GNS3 will be enough to see me through the CCNA:sec. moreso i have not seen any past questions.

I've used the Self-Study Guide and the practice manual. The Self Study Guide was exactly was I was waiting for. The practice manual is great too but I think than just doing the examples of the book and thinking about the labs your self should be enough.

Now is true than to have a practice lab force you to made some practice on the parts you may think are useless and are in the exam.

Good luck on your certification trip ;)
  • Options
    I've used the Self-Study Guide and the practice manual. The Self Study Guide was exactly was I was waiting for. The practice manual is great too but I think than just doing the examples of the book and thinking about the labs your self should be enough.

Now is true than to have a practice lab force you to made some practice on the parts you may think are useless and are in the exam.

Good luck on your certification trip ;)
    Thank you. i will intensify my effort in making sure i get it done by August ending.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED