Options

Computer start up and gets to Windows logo screen and restarts!!!

PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
Hi Folks,

I have a a computer that im working on, just to give you a bit of background on it,

It running Windows XP Pro, it all started when the computer frooze while running. Restarted it and all you get is restarts and sometimes 1 long beep and one short beep.

This suggests a motherboard problem from reading up on the beep codes.

However it is using a phoenix bios version so the codes dont amtch if you know what i mean.

The PSU is running Fan also, however the CPU fan is not.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

How would i test if the motherboard is screwed?

Regards

Eamonn
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take out all the PCI and other cards. Remove all the memory modules. Replace each memory module one at a time: first module 1 - reboot if no beeps then remove module one and install the second module - repeat as needed. Then try module one with module 2. If no beeps and system boots properly shut down and add PCI cards one at a time.
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Take out all the PCI and other cards. Remove all the memory modules. Replace each memory module one at a time: first module 1 - reboot if no beeps then remove module one and install the second module - repeat as needed. Then try module one with module 2. If no beeps and system boots properly shut down and add PCI cards one at a time.
    Hello Robert,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Ill do that and let you know how i got on.

Again Thanks

Eamonn
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    If you cannot find a good resource to explain the mobo's specific beep codes the best thing to do is consider the causes in order of descending probability: RAM, PCI Card, mobo component/CPU.

Good luck!
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Folks,

The PSU is running Fan also, however the CPU fan is not.

Change the plug into another socket for the CPU fan to get power, just in case there's a problem with the one it's already on.
    It might be a case of the CPU fan failing to cool the processor enough, so it'll shut down automatically or fail. Does the PC start up for a longer period when left alone to cool down a lot beforehand?

What make is the motherboard/PC?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    You should really start simple and change out the memory. This takes less than 2 minutes. I've had the exact same problem on my personal computer many years go. After changing the memory, it worked. RMAed the sticks, got new ones, good to go.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bad capacitor on the motherboard IMO.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the CPU fan is not moving, I'd say that's a good place to start.
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    Qord wrote: »
    If the CPU fan is not moving, I'd say that's a good place to start.

+1, although the PC shouldn't get to the Windows logo screen, I would think that any 'modern' BIOS would error out during POST.

If not this, as everyone said, remove all peripherals and extraneous devices/RAM one by one and see what happens.
  • Options
    Bad capacitor on the motherboard IMO.
    I would amend my original post with a statement that the FIRST thing you should do when you have a PC with issues such as this is inspect the caps on the mobo and for any other possible signs of a physical issue. In my experience RAM is still a more likely cause but popped caps is also quite common and by taking 2 seconds to look at the motherboard, especially around the CPU, this can save a lot of time.