Options

VOIP for the Security Guy

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone have a decent list of security readings for VOIP noobs?

I am looking to set up an Asterix server at home but I also want a decent list of stuff for general knowledge of VOIP and the like.

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Anyone have a decent list of security readings for VOIP noobs?

I am looking to set up an Asterix server at home but I also want a decent list of stuff for general knowledge of VOIP and the like.

WE don't like security its tomone else's job. Honestly I don't know of too many books that just focus on security for VOIP, I'm sure they are around in basic form. Most vendors have a best practice and in the CCNP voice its covered in the CIPT2 exam on some basic protection measures. I could point you in some directions if you were more specific IE Toll Fraud, Packet Sniffing, payment card theft and so on.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    WE don't like security its tomone else's job. Honestly I don't know of too many books that just focus on security for VOIP, I'm sure they are around in basic form. Most vendors have a best practice and in the CCNP voice its covered in the CIPT2 exam on some basic protection measures. I could point you in some directions if you were more specific IE Toll Fraud, Packet Sniffing, payment card theft and so on.

Lol. I should have been more specific and clear:

1: I want to learn about VOIP. Any good vendor neutral books?
    A: In addition to learning VOIP, I would like to learn about common attack vectors regarding VOIP, how to test for them and how to fix them.

I am a VOIP noob (as well as a general noob).
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Lol. I should have been more specific and clear:

1: I want to learn about VOIP. Any good vendor neutral books?
    A: In addition to learning VOIP, I would like to learn about common attack vectors regarding VOIP, how to test for them and how to fix them.

I am a VOIP noob (as well as a general noob).

VOIP fundamentals from cisco press is a good voip book to begin with.

Most common thing I see is toll fraud, I get around 1 case a month, and damn near every major holiday. Sometimes its internal (they find a phone that has international dialing(receptionst is a good target for this), and they will foward her phone to a international number and place calls from a payphone or to it and call someone far away.

Other times someone leaves a interface with SIP enabled exposed. People will connect there sip phones and dial internationally. I got one company who got hit with 5K phone bill for just 2 days of toll fraud.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    sexion's website may of be some interest - Home
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    sexion's website may of be some interest - Home

Yea I have read it. He is pretty much a monster (in a good way ) lol
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    Yea I have read it. He is pretty much a monster (in a good way ) lol

Speak of ye devil... What would you like to know about, anything specific?

Asterisk Intrusion Prevention 101
    A Simple Asterisk Based Toll Fraud Prevention Script

Why Fail2Ban Fails 2 Ban
    Failed2Ban

Assorted Asterisk butchery I whipped up
    http://www.infiltrated.net/scripts/

Phorensix - Asterisk based honeypot incident response
    Phorensix VoIP Forensics Tool For Asterisk 1 ≈ Packet Storm

I also wrote a custom IPS slash anti-toll fraud platform for Audiocodes' Session Border controller using expect, perl and shell scripts and am now working on migrating them to my Acme Packet net-nets when I have the time.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    sexion8 wrote: »
    Speak of ye devil... What would you like to know about, anything specific?

Asterisk Intrusion Prevention 101
    A Simple Asterisk Based Toll Fraud Prevention Script

Why Fail2Ban Fails 2 Ban
    Failed2Ban

Assorted Asterisk butchery I whipped up
    http://www.infiltrated.net/scripts/

Phorensix - Asterisk based honeypot incident response
    Phorensix VoIP Forensics Tool For Asterisk 1 ≈ Packet Storm

I also wrote a custom IPS slash anti-toll fraud platform for Audiocodes' Session Border controller using expect, perl and shell scripts and am now working on migrating them to my Acme Packet net-nets when I have the time.

I actually read all of your articles over the last few days....
    This actually stems from another article I read (Ironically on your site) about how to become a decent pentester. While pentesting isn't my end goal, it is a general skillset I'd like to have and I'd like to be very good at. But that's another story...

What I need to do is buy a phone and set up an asterix/google voice server at home and just go for it. I don't know anyone who knows voip at all. The other guy here isn't going to teach me so basically I am going to have to just dive in one of these days. The problem is time and hardware, both are in short supply.

I thought the IDS was nice, actually pretty epic tbh. I wish I could figure out how to get something like that in place for my VOIP system at work (it really isn't my responsibility but I don't like not knowing about it). I may be wrong but I don't think putting snort on the other side of the gateway (where it trunks to the lan) is a viable option. Hell I wouldn't even know what I am looking for so that I could even determine if something is an attack or not icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    Hell I wouldn't even know what I am looking for so that I could even determine if something is an attack or not icon_sad.gif

Your approaching things the wrong way ;) What is VoIP? At the end of the day it's all data. Voice converted into data and sent in a client/server configuration. As in email, you have a To a From and a Subject (SIP message type: OPTION, REGISTER, INVITE, etc.) Logging is pretty much the same as you would see in say /var/log/messages or Windows' Event Log.

As for buying a phone, you could always go the free route and download a "softphone" something like Counterpath's XLite. Asterisk can be a little intimidating at first but it is no different than configuring an SMTP server (postfix, sendmail, etc). There are some very good tutorials out there, I'd begin with voip-info, nerd vittles. voip-info.org - voip-info.org and www.nerd-vittles.com

Wish I could help on the Google side of things but I work at a Managed Service Provider which does ITSP (Internet Telephony Services Provider (think of a Vonage for Vonage)). So I deal with mainly trunking, session border controllers and managed PBXs (Avaya, CME, Asterisk, Allworx, Panasonic, Mitel, pbxnsip and the list goes on). I come from the systems slash networking slash security arena and have been involved with voip full time alongside security for 5 years straight, dabbling in it for a total of almost 8 years. When I first started it was as foreign as dropping me off in Vietnam. I went the RFC route, the breaking it route, the configuring it route, etc.

My first week at the ITSP, I was given no instruction. Instead they handed me a punchblock, some Rhino channel banks, 6 servers and told me it needed to be up in a week for an install. Not understanding enough, I dug in... Dug in, dug in, kicked, shouted, drank coffee and never got it working... It was a joke. The system I was supposed to configure would have never worked as back then, Asterisk had little support for Rhino and Rhino's channel drivers were flaky. I even went as far as starting to re-program my own drivers... So yes it can be intimidating because when I GOT involved, my approach was flawed. I was thinking VoIP when at the end of the day, its still nothing more than data.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Your approaching things the wrong way ;) What is VoIP? At the end of the day it's all data. Voice converted into data and sent in a client/server configuration. As in email, you have a To a From and a Subject (SIP message type: OPTION, REGISTER, INVITE, etc.) Logging is pretty much the same as you would see in say /var/log/messages or Windows' Event Log.

This is what I thought but some of the hardcore voice postings have lead me to believe there is waaaaay more to it than I realize. Funny thing is I just got a call about a job and one of the things they want is voice support (call manager) along with general network support.
    Wish I could help on the Google side of things but I work at a Managed Service Provider which does ITSP (Internet Telephony Services Provider (think of a Vonage for Vonage)). So I deal with mainly trunking, session border controllers and managed PBXs (Avaya, CME, Asterisk, Allworx, Panasonic, Mitel, pbxnsip and the list goes on). I come from the systems slash networking slash security arena and have been involved with voip full time alongside security for 5 years straight, dabbling in it for a total of almost 8 years. When I first started it was as foreign as dropping me off in Vietnam. I went the RFC route, the breaking it route, the configuring it route, etc.

My first week at the ITSP, I was given no instruction. Instead they handed me a punchblock, some Rhino channel banks, 6 servers and told me it needed to be up in a week for an install. Not understanding enough, I dug in... Dug in, dug in, kicked, shouted, drank coffee and never got it working... It was a joke. The system I was supposed to configure would have never worked as back then, Asterisk had little support for Rhino and Rhino's channel drivers were flaky. I even went as far as starting to re-program my own drivers... So yes it can be intimidating because when I GOT involved, my approach was flawed. I was thinking VoIP when at the end of the day, its still nothing more than data.

The google voice side seems to be not too bad.
    Mario's adventures in geekery: Asterisk 1.8 and native Google Voice support