Options

I'm going mentally insane...help

2»

Comments

• Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ViLeNT wrote: »
    My job is no longer challenging and there's nothing I can't handle, i'm often bored as I resolve problems in no time, I have no one to talk to, haven't made any friends since i've been here, no one is even near my age group theres often a 15 to 20 year gap. I go to lunch alone, I work alone in and office by myself its very quiet all day long. I work in a group of 10-15 IT peers scattered across the state and contact is very limited. I'm often the mentor for individuals as I really love the IT field and I try to stay in tune with the latest technology and I really enjoy the challenge when something comes up I dive right in.

QUOTE]

Look for a networking/social group... broaden your professional exposure...

Checkout ISACA for a local group, Seek a mentor within the group.
    Provide Mentorship for teens/college age wih a technical interest.
    Nothing like that in your area, how about Toastmasters speak about the need for Information Security at home/small business. Raise the awareness of the business impact of failure to plan/protect information and supporting systems. Build a reputation as knowledgeable and able to speak to a non-technical listener, someone will refer you to someone in need of your skills and abilities. It will open opportunities you could never have identified.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    ViLeNTViLeNT Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got an e-mail from a friend of mine...he works for the naval base here, hes a senior network security engineer, said they are opening up a new position and he'd like to know if i'd like to interview. GS-9 ~ 52k a year. What do you guys think? Man decisions decisions...again there's no gurantee that i'd get this job...but it would be about a 14k pay increase and a better enviornment to work in with new projects and experience to gain
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Apply for it and see how you go. Extra pay and a better job wouldnt hurt I guess icon_smile.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    You obviously don't like what's going on now, so why not apply?
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Certainly cant hurt to apply. If you get it, and then get the clearance as well, youre good to go.
  • Options
    Well...good and bad news....I didn't get the Government job. All those NASA folks who got laid off recently have first priority over me. icon_twisted.gif Darn....oh well...I had a nice conversation with my boss and finally cleared the air and got a lot of stress and anxiety off my shoulders. Also had the opportunity to move offices where theres actually people to talk to!!! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Thats good you moved offices! keep it up!
  • Options
    Well folks, as an update, I got a NEW job 2 months ago. I am no longer Help desk! Hurray! I now work for a Cloud Computing / Hosting company as a Network Engineer. Mostly I assist with our Exchange Enviornment / Terminal Services / Cloud Servers, etc. Huge pay increase, learning so much! Never happier. Shortly after leaving my old job I heard they laid off 30 IT workers, and demoted another 30! Looks like I got out of there just in time! I'm training to become an Exchange Engineer. Things are going well! Im so happy I finally broke through the Helpdesk scene!
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Congrats! Good luck to you in your new position.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well folks, as an update, I got a NEW job 2 months ago. I am no longer Help desk! Hurray! I now work for a Cloud Computing / Hosting company as a Network Engineer. Mostly I assist with our Exchange Enviornment / Terminal Services / Cloud Servers, etc. Huge pay increase, learning so much! Never happier. Shortly after leaving my old job I heard they laid off 30 IT workers, and demoted another 30! Looks like I got out of there just in time! I'm training to become an Exchange Engineer. Things are going well! Im so happy I finally broke through the Helpdesk scene!

Excellent news. Now crack on with the Exchange certs and the CCNA would be good too and be sure to learn as much as you can about how to provision services for customers. Once you understand what customers need and know how to put that together on infrastructure you are very employable. Working for an outsourcer is the way forward. You did well to get out of the old place, many people wont until the whole department folds.
  • Options
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback and comments. I am already working on my MCTS 70-662, very challenging icon_study.gif
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    read your whole story and my advice is to get the hell out of there. I am still in college now (going into my last semester) and for the past year ive been interning at a law firm and it has been great. The network services manager has been my mentor along the whole way and i hope to one day work full time under him.
    you should be working alongside others and not stuck in a room alone. I know i could never do something like that. From reading your story i think you are for more deserving then a help desk job.

whoops didnt see the update: congrats on the new job!!
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Glad to hear it man!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Grats dude, that's excellent. Also, significant pay increase? Wonderful :)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Great to hear! It's always nice hearing about people from the TE community advancing in their careers
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read your post from beginning to end and its nice to see a happy ending at the latest update from you. Good job dude you definitely deserve it and way to keep motivated! This actually gave me a pick me up for today
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Congratulations man! That's an awesome change for the better!

Cheers,
    Fin