Options

What should I do?

thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
Hey guys I’m having a little difficulty deciding what to do. I just about to move into my own place and money is a little tight at the moment. As I’m not on the world best wage lol
Anyway I trying to decide what to do this year I don’t whether to pay another £1500 for finish my degree this would be without hours at Open University. At the moment I currently have my HNC and hnd.

Or should I spend the next 18 months working towards Microsoft certs and build my linux, shell scripiting and php/mysql skills.
If I was to do uni it would be doing advance networking at ccnp level. I would still work the other stuff but wouldn’t be able to spend as much time on.

I mean is my degree worth getting anymore from experience most employers don’t seem bother they rather have experience which I have 4 years worth.
What do you suggest?

Thanks
Tom
:D

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    The whole no degree get experience excuse is just that. In this day and age you NEED a degree if you want to move on in your career. Hell, one recruiter I worked with wouldn't even talk to you without a Bachelors degree. It's a matter of principal, the B.S. is becoming the new High School Deploma. You gotta have it.

As for what to do, what interests you? If you like networking stick with it. If you want to play with servers and do admin work then do the Microsoft stuff. No one can tell you what to do man, although I will say that living in San Francisco, unless you're a superstar and damn near superman, IT jobs gotta be hella hard to land.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    Trust me i have no porblem doing the work i love to learn i was wondering if it was worth it. But you have a good point short term pain for a long term gain. I think i will go ahead and finish what i started. As i do want to start earning more money and if the degree help me do that then i will do it. Plus as i said i will still work on my other stuff just won,t be able to put as many hours in. Thanks for your input