Options

Need some on advice on a Lab

djyoxdjyox Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm trying ebay and craigslist to deals on getting a good setup, I've seen prices all over the board. I think if I really tried I could build a lab rather cheap, but I found a complete startup set for sale. So I was wondering is $250 a good price for 3x Cisco 3620 routers and 2x 2924 Switches + cables and extra stuffs? Should I skip it? Jump on it? or somewhat of a good deal? I am building from the ground up, and I thought this would get my foot in the door. My target is CCNA, and then after going for CCNP down the road. Advice? I've searched the forums, and read lots of advice which is helpful, and searched ebay, and know I can find rock bottom prices if I wait. But if this is an ok deal, then I'm ready to buy.

Router(config)#do show hardware

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3620-IK9O3S6-M), Version 12.3(17a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 12-Dec-05 21:59 by evmiller

Image text-base: 0x60008B00, data-base: 0x61A18000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: 3600 Software (C3620-IK9O3S6-M), Version 12.3(17a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Router uptime is 0 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c3620-ik9o3s6-mz.123-17a.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

Export Compliance Product Report Application

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

cisco 3620 (R4700) processor (revision 0x81) with 61440K/4096K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 22788586

R4700 CPU at 80MHz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

4 Low-speed serial(sync/async) network interface(s)

DRAM configuration is 32 bits wide with parity disabled.

29K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Switch#show hardware

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC16, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 21-Sep-06 13:00 by antonino

Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00352924

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Switch uptime is 1 minute

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC16.bin"

cisco WS-C2924M-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FAB0516U1TA, with hardware revision 0x03

Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software

Cluster command switch capable

Cluster member switch capable

26 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:05:5E:30:29:C0

Motherboard assembly number: 73-3425-10

Power supply part number: 34-0920-01

Motherboard serial number: FAB050951NS

Power supply serial number: PAC0504000C

Model revision number: A0

Motherboard revision number: F0

Model number: WS-C2924M-XL-EN

System serial number: FAB0516U1TA

Module Ports Model HW Version SW version

1 2 WS-X2922-XL-V xxxx xxxx

Configuration register is 0xF
Taking:
Network+ - 6May2011
2011/2012 Goals:
CCNA / CISSP
Books & Videos:
CBT Network+

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    djyox wrote: »
    So I was wondering is $250 a good price for 3x Cisco 3620 routers and 2x 2924 Switches + cables and extra stuffs?

It might be a good price, but the equipment isn't very good. The routers will get you through the CCNA but will be of limited use beyond. And a 2924 is fine if you want a cheap 3rd switch, but they're way too limited to be doing your primary work with.

This is why we recommend staying away from the prebuilt kits. They're almost always underpowered and overpriced. For that price you can piece together a much better lab.
  • Options
    So I should just buckle down and get some on ebay? 2950's? 2610s? Or what would be recommended to take me to CCNA and beyond? I'd rather buy once, than buy cheap now for something I have to replace anyhow.
    Taking:
    Network+ - 6May2011
    2011/2012 Goals:
    CCNA / CISSP
    Books & Videos:
    CBT Network+
  • Options
    Routers - look at 1721's, 1760's, 2600XM's, 3640's. They all have pluses and minuses. The 1721's and 1760's can take 2 WIC's but no NM's. The 2600XM's can take WICS and an NM. The 3640's can take multiple NM's, but have no WIC slots, so they'll need an NM that can accommodate the NM's. The 1760's and 1721's sell for $40 - $50, the 2600XM's and 3640's sell for ~$100. But all of these can run a decent enough version of IOS to take you through the CCNP and more.

Switches - at least two 2950's now and a 3550 or two when you start on the CCNP. The 2950's are around $50 and the 3550's are between $150 and $200 depending on when you look.

2 routers and 2 switches minimum, but 3 is better. And in each router you want at least 2 serial interfaces.
  • Options
    I hate to ask so many questions that I'm sure are found, but I do have one more question.

For a good starting out base, how about this 2x2950 (maybe 1x3550), but then when it comes to routers, should I grab maybe just one 2600xm, and 2x1721/1760?

I know I just asked the same question of which you just explained, but I just am looking for a little more clarifcation before I go on my hunt for routers and switches which will most likely start tonight.

Oh and a kicker question...memory. I'm not even really sure what I'm looking for in memory, how much does memory cost? because if its not maxed out, I want to max it out, correct? And most ebay ones I've seen don't come with maxed out memory, but if its cheap enough to what it would cost for the switch/router + buy new memory and equal out to a good deal, then I would take the deal... of course.... So where can I look for memory to buy? Is this just standard computer memory? or?

Sorry, total nubie, I've touched routers and switches before, and could maybe program some basics from my notes, but don't really know what I'm doing, and have never seen or touched hardware part of them.
    Taking:
    Network+ - 6May2011
    2011/2012 Goals:
    CCNA / CISSP
    Books & Videos:
    CBT Network+
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    I hate to ask so many questions that I'm sure are found, but I do have one more question.

For a good starting out base, how about this 2x2950 (maybe 1x3550), but then when it comes to routers, should I grab maybe just one 2600xm, and 2x1721/1760?

I know I just asked the same question of which you just explained, but I just am looking for a little more clarifcation before I go on my hunt for routers and switches which will most likely start tonight.

Oh and a kicker question...memory. I'm not even really sure what I'm looking for in memory, how much does memory cost? because if its not maxed out, I want to max it out, correct? And most ebay ones I've seen don't come with maxed out memory, but if its cheap enough to what it would cost for the switch/router + buy new memory and equal out to a good deal, then I would take the deal... of course.... So where can I look for memory to buy? Is this just standard computer memory? or?

Sorry, total nubie, I've touched routers and switches before, and could maybe program some basics from my notes, but don't really know what I'm doing, and have never seen or touched hardware part of them.

Whatever you decide to purchase should consider your long term certification goals.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Options

The models that I listed will be good enough to get you through the CCNA and the CCNP. The difference between them is price and what they support for modules. The 1721 is also a different size, which I forgot to mention. Choosing between them is going to come down to personal preference on the options. A 2600XM and a pair of 1700's will certainly cover every possible scenario with modules, though you'll have to decide for yourself if the extra cost of the 2600XM is worth it to you. There's also the option of the non-XM 2600 if you just want something that will take a NM. It's not as good as a 2600XM, but its cheaper and will be fine as a 3rd router.

And a pair of 2950 switches will definitely get the job done. But still keep an eye on the 3550's. I found mine for $25 when I was looking for a 2950.

And whatever you choose, don't jump on anything right away unless it's an unbelievable price that you have to grab immediately. If you keep an eye out and shop around, you'll find deals.

Memory is usually not that expensive, and it's something you can always add later. Some models can even take memory sticks you might have in your old computer parts box (and we all have one of those, right? icon_mrgreen.gif). Remember, you don't need the biggest, baddest IOS now when you're working on the CCNA. But one thing to keep in mind though is that some router models are fixed memory, meaning that they can't be upgraded and you'll have to buy the right one then.

So now you can see why we also suggest piecing together your own lab as a part of the learning process. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The 1721 is also a different size
    And it uses a power brick.

Some people will offer GREAT deals on 1721 without the power brick -- and then you may pay more than the router is really worth to buy a power brick separately. Always get a 1721 that comes with the power brick.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    looking at FRS TechLab, each end-point routers only uses 1 serial interface. Why do we need 2 serial interfaces on each router again? [with the exception of the FRS]

Thanks!

P.S.
    what can I do with an NM-2FE2W module? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    518 wrote: »
    looking at FRS TechLab, each end-point routers only uses 1 serial interface. Why do we need 2 serial interfaces on each router again? [with the exception of the FRS]

Thanks!

P.S.
    what can I do with an NM-2FE2W module? icon_lol.gif

There's a lot more to the CCNA than just Frame Relay.

When you're working with routing protocols, it gives you the flexibility to do more interesting topologies than:

R1
    R2
    R3

If you can add a direct connection between R1 and R3 in that example to form a triangle topology, then you can watch the effect of changing metrics, or experiment with unequal load balancing with EIGRP.

And with an NM-2FE2W, you can add 2 Ethernet ports and 2 WIC slots to a router.
  • Options
    Perfect, this thread has been a big help! I got my idea of what I need to buy. I'm going to go on a router/switch hunt on ebay tonight.

I have lots of time before the CCNA test will come up. I'm currently in the army, and they provide the test about once a year to every 6 months. They also do this with the CISSP, they just did the CCNA in Feb, so now my plans are to knock out the network+ class/text, and while I'm in network go mode, I'll start in on my CCNA learning/practice. I think the army has like a 90% first time fail rate. I plan to be in the 10% pass!

Thanks again, I hope someone else sees this and it answers questions for them too, but keep away from my bids!
    Taking:
    Network+ - 6May2011
    2011/2012 Goals:
    CCNA / CISSP
    Books & Videos:
    CBT Network+
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    IMO the 1760 is the best bang for the buck router. It can do voice, security, and routing and switching. It also runs 12.4. On top of that it takes WIC's and VIC's natively. They are also extremely cheap. I bought two 32F versions on ebay on a best offer for 15.00 each. Look for them, and I bet you could get 4 loaded with 32F 128DRAM for around 100 if you ebay well.

For switches... you cant go wrong with 2950's and 3550's (if you're going CCNP later)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU