Ive applied for my first IT job please help :)

andyjudd1andyjudd1 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey everyone i have just applied for my first IT job the posision is for an IT technician apprentice i was just wondering if i get through to the interview stage what can i expect your advice will be appreciated as always.:)

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    No idea. Every company is different and as such the positions will be different,
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I were to recruit for such a position, I'd ask:

1. How would you tell a crossover cable apart from a straight through cable?
    2. What does 100BaseT mean?
    3. What is RAM and how is it different from the HDD?
    4. Can you tell a VGA connector from a DVI connector?
    5. How many MB in a GB?
    6. A user's computer doesnt turn on, where do you start and what do you do?

Non-tech questions:

7. Why do you want to take on this role?
    8. What can you bring with you, customer service skills/tech skills?
    9. Where do you see yourself in the next few years?

If you provided a quick job description, people here might then be able to provide questions similar to the ones that you would get asked.

Hope this helps and yes phantasm is right, every company is different and so is every hirer, so the questions could vary.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Can you share the position description? That will give us an idea what they are looking for.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well Most of the time it is the attitude that counts then the Technical Knowledge ( for a beginner )

you need not know all the In's and Out of a IT Network or System but the key atitude such as eagerness to learn and get your hand dirty etc etc work a lot and people like them ..

So first things follow up with a letter stating / inquiring about the job status ( has it been filled and if not - why you would be interested in it again and wat you can bring to the company)

Good luck once again
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • andyjudd1andyjudd1 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this is all i have for the job description

Epping Forest College are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic apprentince to support the IT provision. You must have a passion for IT and demonstrate the ability to use your initiative when under pressure. As a key member of the existing team you will be required to provide IT service support throughout the college. You will be supporting staff & students.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck in job search!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63