Options

vCole's CCENT/CCNA Journey

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
After taking a new position at NetApp, my responsibilities are VMware, Storage, Linux and Networking.

Since I'm lacking in the networking area that I will go for my CCENT/CCNA.

Materials:
  • CCNA CBT Nuggets
  • CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition by Wendell Odom
  • CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802 by Todd Lammle

I'll be documenting my journey. ICND1 is scheduled for May 19th. icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    en2uen2u Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GL to ya. I'm also planning to take CCENT soon,but little confuced with study materials! so your going to nail CCENT in a month ? :D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

What are you going to use for your hands on lab practice?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

+1. This is definitely not the type of test where you read a book and memorize some facts.

And how much experience with Cisco do you have? A time frame of a month is a bit ambitious if you're not already a seasoned vet.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »

For labbing I will be using GNS3 most likely. I have taken Cisco 1 & 2 at college, and work with Cisco stuff all day now. This isn't my first networking role - just the first primarily Cisco networking role.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    +1. This is definitely not the type of test where you read a book and memorize some facts.

And how much experience with Cisco do you have? A time frame of a month is a bit ambitious if you're not already a seasoned vet.

I gave myself a month to put the pressure on. I have worked with Cisco, and I have been doing networking for a few years - however, I needed a goal to set for myself. If I don't feel ready, I'll push it back.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck in your studies!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    vCole wrote: »
    however, I needed a goal to set for myself. If I don't feel ready, I'll push it back.

You're already off to a great start! The most important preparation step is to schedule the exam. Otherwise, the study regimen will not be optimal. You have confidence, you're not afraid, you'll pass. Good luck.
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    alan2308 wrote: »

He is going for ICND1 in a month.. You really think that is ambitious for someone without much Cisco time? I ask because I was giving myself less for the ICND1 lol
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    geek4god wrote: »
    He is going for ICND1 in a month.. You really think that is ambitious for someone without much Cisco time? I ask because I was giving myself less for the ICND1 lol

I'm not saying it can't be done, but yes, it is a bit ambitious.
  • Options
    Sadly, have to push back my test date. Between lots of work hours + dislocating my kneecap (I'm all drugged up on pain meds) I have to push it back a few weeks to make up for lost time.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sadly, have to push back my test date. Between lots of work hours + dislocating my kneecap (I'm all drugged up on pain meds) I have to push it back a few weeks to make up for lost time.
    Sorry to hear that. But at least you'll have extra time to prepare. icon_wink.gif

As for dislocating your kneecap; just reading that makes me cringe. icon_eek.gificon_pale.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For labbing I will be using GNS3 most likely. I have taken Cisco 1 & 2 at college, and work with Cisco stuff all day now. This isn't my first networking role - just the first primarily Cisco networking role.

Packet Tracer works very well, I used it for my CCENT and it is very thorough. I think it's around version 5.3, but 5.2 works great.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ouch! At least you have time to sit with the sim. That'll help a bit.
  • Options
    Going to have to push this back again. Still trying to get motivation to study every day. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, curious, what material have you covered so far?
    :P
    A lot of Part 1 from Odom's book should be more like a refresher from NetAcad semester 1.
    (no pressure!)

Keep a blog/diary to summarize what you've learnt at the end of the day.
  • Options
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    So, curious, what material have you covered so far?
    :P
    A lot of Part 1 from Odom's book should be more like a refresher from NetAcad semester 1.
    (no pressure!)

Keep a blog/diary to summarize what you've learnt at the end of the day.

Not much at all to be honest.
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My suggestion would be know your subnetting no mater what.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    Definitely fell off the wagon for this due to life. (switched jobs, moved to a different state, etc). Going to be trying this once again!
  • Options
    DecalDecal Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for updating i'm right behind you.