Options

laptop issue

anilgopieanilgopie Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got an issue with a laptop, it's my neighbours.
The laptop doesn't turn on. Tried with the battery, tried taking out the battery. Tried both ways with the A/C adapter plugged in. No luck. When the battery is connected and the A/C adapter is plugged in, the light showing that the battery is charging comes lights up.

Not sure what to try. Anyone have any ideas?!?

Thanks,

Anil.

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What happened prior to it not turning on? Did any liquid fall on it? Was it dropped or something dropped on it?
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When did it stop working?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Like others have said - what happened before it stopped working?

Any beeps when turning it on/attempting to? Is the hard drive spinning, etc
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Could be anything, but I did have similar situation with a Toshiba laptop few years back. Finally called Toshiba, and was told unplug battery, AC both. Then hold the power button down for 30 secs. Put battery back in and see if it powered up. Low and behold, it worked.
  • Options
    I was told about it maybe on Wednesday, but never got to look at it til yesterday (Thursday).
    I asked and no it wasn't dropped recently or ever since having it, and no liquids gotten spilled on it.
    Last thing that was done, the nite before the girl was doing her homework, finished it off and then shut it down. Next day she went to turn it on and nothing.

No beeps, i don't feel/hear the hard spinning.

The laptop is about 1 year old, it's a Gateway NV53.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Open up the bottom of the laptop and re-seat the memory. Some laptops won't switch on if there is no memory seated, it's possible the RAM could have died also. Maybe try the RAM in another laptop if you have one.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've seen this with fried motherboards before, but it is possible it could be something else.

My 2 cents would be to disconnect the power adapter, take the battery out, open it up and pull the CMOS battery. Let it sit for a couple hours or overnight and try turning it with the power button a few times. As Bokeh said, hold it in for a bit too. (Of course it won't actually turn on, but it can deplete residual power that can force a hard reset) After that, hook it up and give it a try.

Also check the power supply and that it is providing the correct voltage.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I just tried what Bokeh suggested, no luck. I'm gonna try Asif & Devilsbane suggestion and let you know.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    There's troubleshooting info in the NV53 Users Guide and the Users Reference Guide at Gateway Support - Downloads & Support Documents - Notebook / NV Series / NV53