Options

Is it a good or bad idea to spam your resume with keywords from a job posting?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
A few people in my net-acad class suggested I do this. Would this really get my resume pulled from the pile, or would it just annoy the person who comes across the resume when it's time to interview me?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    A few people in my net-acad class suggested I do this. Would this really get my resume pulled from the pile, or would it just annoy the person who comes across the resume when it's time to interview me?

Sounds like a bad idea.. what I would do is take all the relevant keywords and add bullets in my job listing with details how I've used, supported, or had a project involving those technologies.

Gets them on your resume and shows you have experience with them but not just bs'ing your resume with junk.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'd agree that you should try to use keywords from what they're looking for.

You need to just work them into your resume so that it reads like normal but shows that you're exactly what they're looking for. Obviously don't lie on it though.
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As long as those keywords pertain to your skills, I'd recommend it.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As long as they matach your skill set i dont see any issues .

Make sure you add them to make sense and not just fill them up

for eg an MCP's Cv i came across had key wordwords like MCSE and MCITP ( which makes no sense at all )
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My answer is both. The goal isn't to just stick as many useless words in as you can, but rather an art to stick as many in while still making complete sense.

Goal 1 is to get past the machine. Goal 2 is to get past the person. A listing of keywords might make it by number 1 but will instatly hit the recycle bin at step 2.

About a week ago I found an article written by some HR folks that I posted. http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/65214-22-hr-secrets.html Specifically, number 9 addresses what you are talking about.

Include, but don't spam.
    Decide what to be and go be it.