Options

Confused and need an advise for CCNA/CCNP Lab

agent_linuxagent_linux Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
First, I just want to say thanks to all the good members of this website -- I appreciate all your help for newbie’s who are lost just like me.

Now onto my dilemma, I finally got some dough to spend on my first CCNA/CCNP Lab and I’m confused and not sure which one I should get. I know this has been an on-going topic but every financial situation is different. But basically I would like to purchase my CCNA Lab equipments and would like to be able to use most of it when I'm ready to move on to CCNP. Here are my lists and can someone please advice me which package is best…

One Cisco 2610 Router 32D/8F with 1 Serial Port (WIC-T1 card) + 1 Ethernet Port
One Cisco 2610 Router 32D/8F with 2 Serial Ports (Frame/Relay Switch) + 1 Ethernet Port
One Cisco 2950 Switch (12 Fast Ethernet Ports)

One Cisco 2610 Series Routers having 16MB FLASH, 32MB DRAM, 1 ETHERNET PORT and 2-SERIAL PORTS
One Cisco 2620 Series Routers having 16MB FLASH, 32MB DRAM, 1 FAST ETHERNET PORT and 2-SERIAL PORTS
One Cisco 2612 Series Routers having 16MB FLASH, 32MB DRAM, 1 ETHERNET PORT, 1 Token Ring and 2-SERIAL PORTS
Two Cisco 2924 Switches WS-C2924-XL

I hope someone can assist and give me an idea if this is a good deal or not. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Well it'll depend what you want to use it for longer term. I can only speak for myself what I have that I used to study for the CCNA and now CCNP....

3x c3550 switches
    3x 2615xm routers
    1x PIX 515
    1x ASA5505
    1x 800 series router

thats it, hehe. I wanted 3 switches to pratice STP on, and use the routers to pratice routing on. I bought the 800 series router way back when I was studying for the CCENT. If I could do it over i'd not get it since its pretty much useless now (well...maybe the wireless would be a good pratice) since most of the other equipment I have surpasses the 800 router.

Hope that helps.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One Cisco 2610 Router 32D/8F with 2 Serial Ports (Frame/Relay Switch) + 1 Ethernet Port
    The 2950 switches are good.

The routers don't have the MAX memory, so they probably don't have an IOS that will be useful for the CCNP -- and with only 8Mb Flash, they might not even have a good IOS for the CCNA. And with the old routers you want to make sure you get at least one that has the MAX Memory and comes with the biggest & baddest (and the most recent) IOS image available.
    One Cisco 2610 Series Routers having 16MB FLASH, 32MB DRAM, 1 ETHERNET PORT and 2-SERIAL PORTS
    One Cisco 2620 Series Routers having 16MB FLASH, 32MB DRAM, 1 FAST ETHERNET PORT and 2-SERIAL PORTS
    One Cisco 2612 Series Routers having 16MB FLASH, 32MB DRAM, 1 ETHERNET PORT, 1 Token Ring and 2-SERIAL PORTS
    Two Cisco 2924 Switches WS-C2924-XL
    The 2924XL-EN (they are the EN version, right?) make a good 3rd (and 4th switch). But with 2950s being so cheap now, the 2924XL-EN would have to be about $10-15 to use as a 3rd switch, otherwise you might as well get a 3rd 2950 -- or apply that 3rd switch money towards a CCNP Level 3550 Layer 3 switch.

The routers are MAXed out, so you'd just want to verify they come with the biggest & baddest latest image -- but you still need something like a $50 1721 or 1760 to practice the SDM tasks for the CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'd skip over the plain ol' 2600's altogether, in this case, (save for maybe the router you're planning on using as a Frame-Relay switch,) and instead go for a couple of 1721s. You'll be able to max out the memory to 128/32, which should allow you to run a version of the IOS that'll take you through both the CCNA and CCNP without completely draining your funds. Another idea is to save up for a couple of 2600XM routers, they're the best bang for your buck right now if you want both the latest IOS to run and play around with any expansion cards you may want to pick up.

I definitely agree with Mike on the switches, don't shell out money on the 2924 since the 2950s can be had for a song. Pick up a couple of 2950s, then start saving your money to get one or two 3550s when it's time to hit up the SWITCH exam. And if you're unsure of what software runs on what platform, and how much memory is required, have a look at the Cisco Feature Navigator.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I would pass on the 2600's and go with a 2600XM, a 3640, or a 1760. They run 12.4 which is the IOS version command set that you will be tested on.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Maybe I missed it in there. But you are gonna need a console server too. Unless you are planning on going cheap like me and always climb all over your equipment. Also if you are going to build the topology from the tshoot lab you will probably need a box running ESX server with 3-4NICs.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    agent_linuxagent_linux Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the input and suggestions, I appreciate it!

I will do more research before spending my money so I can be sure that I have purchased the correct equipments that I will need in a long run....

Again, thank you all!