Options

so today

saied45saied45 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
so today i was working with someone and i told them i was studying ccna. he laughed at me and he said haha good luck even finding a job with all the cheaters. i asked what he meant by that comment and he said there are cheaters everywhere that somehow get the answers and they pass all the time. and its becoming so common that the real guys who know this stuff will never even get an interview.
if this is true and there is no way i can get a job , why exactly am i studying ccna?

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    saied45 wrote: »
    why exactly am i studying ccna?
    i'd say a person studies to obtain the knowledge, not to get the certificate. indeed, cheaters devalue a certificate and lower your chances of employment based on the credential alone, but that does not mean you should abandon learning the foundations of networks and Cisco, if networking is what you want to do for living.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not everyone who cheats pass. Its actually pretty awesome to find out someone failed by using **** lol. Since there are a lot of people cheating for the exams, more people can can get their certification and get an increased chance for interviewed and highered. The only part about that is that they won't last long if they don't know their stuff. It just makes it harder for people who actually study for the exam using legit materials to get an interview because we spend a lot of time studying while people who **** can just take weeks to study and pass the test.

You're studying for the ccna to increase your skillset.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    LazydogLazydog Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so today i was working with someone and i told them i was studying ccna. he laughed at me and he said haha good luck even finding a job with all the cheaters.

While this I find true with the Windows certs, and I know of a few people who have done this, the Cisco certs aren't that easy to just learn the questions and answers to. With the implementation of SIM labs it makes it hard to simply learn the questions and answers. Even M$ is moving this way to avoid the ****.
    --

Regards
    Robert

Smile....... it increases your face value!
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I wouldn't listen to that advise too much... There is a line between those that can do the work and those that pass a test.

I knew (past tense) someone who dumped his CCNA, bragged about his perfect then got a networking job and didn't even last 2 weeks.

Those that **** will not last long in the business if they can not configure or even troubleshoot an issue.

Those that actually know and understand the information are the ones that will succeed.

A certification is a good foundation and a way of getting yourself in the door, but every issue you run into in real life will not be on a certification test.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    its becoming so common that the real guys who know this stuff will never even get an interview.
    The people who **** usually can't get past a simple phone screening interview -- leaving plenty of opportunities for the real guys who know this stuff to get past the screening to get the interviews.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    I agree, to some extent the CCNA has been devalued by ****. But they'll never achieve much in any job they do manage to get as they lack the motivation and ability to succeed. Also, the CCNA is a Pre-req to the higher exams which, in my opinion, are much harder to **** in this way as they require more comprehension - so go for professional level and know that you're above the dumpers.
    And if you need more motivation to do it, how would you feel if a dumper got an interview and you didn't because he had a CCNA? At least join the fight and blow them out of the water in an interview, as you always will if you've done it properly.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're studying to learn, improve your skills, and prove to yourself that you can do it. The certificate is just a bonus.

That's the approach I'm taking anyway. :)
  • Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    AlexM wrote: »
    You're studying to learn, improve your skills, and prove to yourself that you can do it. The certificate is just a bonus.

That's the approach I'm taking anyway. :)

This works wonders !! Believe in this .
  • Options
    AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about the cheaters. The real world will give them a kick in the @$$ just like they deserve. Most won't even get past the interview stage to get a job. If they do, their employer will find out real quick that they don't have a clue what they are doing.

My advice is study, practice, get some hands-on experience with Cisco equipment, and then take the exam. Certification might get you an interview, but the rest is up to you, and you must know what you are doing to keep a job.

Build a home lab to practice on. I think it will impress an employer if you tell them you have a passion for networking and that you have built your own Cisco home lab to practice with. Plus, it's a lot less painful to screw something up on a home lab than it is to screw up a client's production environment.
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Paper cert people only go as far as paper. Get your cert. Know your material. Know how to use those skills in the real world. Do those three things well, and you'll be fine in the industry.

A good pair of pants also helps....
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    my understanding of getting certs was to show an employer that you know your stuff. but i guess thats not the case any longer.
    on another topic. does anyone know if the armed forces hire and guys from ccna
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    so today i was working with someone and i told them i was studying ccna. he laughed at me and he said haha good luck even finding a job with all the cheaters. i asked what he meant by that comment and he said there are cheaters everywhere that somehow get the answers and they pass all the time.
    Out of curiousity, what certs/degrees/qualifications does HE have?
    Can he name a field of expertise that DOESN'T have cheaters? icon_rolleyes.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The people who **** usually can't get past a simple phone screening interview -- leaving plenty of opportunities for the real guys who know this stuff to get past the screening to get the interviews.
    Yup. If you know your stuff, it will be obvious. The only people who get burned are companies that don't put any technical people in as part of the interview process.

I always look at it this way... It just makes me look that much better by comparison in the interview.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    one other thing that he said was that employers are outsourcing like crazy and there is no way u could find a job. is this true also?
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i guess he was trying to scare you off or just repeating some stuff he heard somewhere. do a job search on "ccna" there is a lot of open positions.

sure if you are one of those paper cert guys you will have a hard time in the interviews but if you know your stuff there is a huge market for networking people which will even grow bigger and bigger as technologie advances.

and i dont think that they can outsource that field that easy. sure some support can be done from far away but i dont think companys will rely on putting something crucial as network infrastructure in the hands of a of a guy sitting somewhere in india like they did with the callcenters.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    one other thing that he said was that employers are outsourcing like crazy and there is no way u could find a job. is this true also?

Sounds like a stick in the mud to me. A cert is not a guarantee of a good job, it's not even a guarantee of an interview actually. It'll help get you an interview, along with schooling and prior experience. Once you've got that, you're the only one that'll get you the job.

As far as outsourcing, yep it happens. My last job was outsourced, to another company here in the states they offered to hire me on. It wasn't worth the move to me however. Not all outsourcing goes off shore, just some. So yes some jobs have gone away, but others have been shuffled to specialized companies that do IT only, that's the type of place I work now.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MrRyte wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, what certs/degrees/qualifications does HE have?
    Can he name a field of expertise that DOESN'T have cheaters? icon_rolleyes.gif

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

You rarely hear people who have certs and degrees ranting about how they're useless. No, the haters are always the ones without.
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

You rarely hear people who have certs and degrees ranting about how they're useless. No, the haters are always the ones without.

Right said
  • Options
    aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    Dont let them put you off getting my CCNA was one of the main things that contributed to me getting my current job.

Mike said it best earlier in the thread, dumpers dont tend to get past phone interviews and these days even HR has gotten wise when someone has all cisco, all microsoft, MBA and Phd.

The cert is nice it gives something you can show people to prove you have the knowledge but the knowledge itself is the most important. Study the technology dont study to pass the test and you will be so much better in the long run.
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    It's not so much getting your certification that's valuable, it's what you learn while studying for the exam. The more methodical your habits, the better your chances..

It's tough out there, breaking into the business even with a degree and a couple certs. Someone, somewhere will be willing to give you a shot though. Just keep studying, keep your head up, and be grateful you get a chance to do something you love. 70% of the Worlds population can't say that.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't listen to the hater.

If the CCNA is what you want, then go for it! People will always try to discourage you as you try to advance your career and knowledge. Never listen to them, listen to yourself.

What's the old saying? "Don't regret was you did, regret what you didn't do."
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    viper75 wrote: »

What's the old saying? "Don't regret was you did, regret what you didn't do."

It's better to ask for forgiveness then permission.. I learned that one in Vegas..
  • Options
    seekrit wrote: »
    It's better to ask for forgiveness then permission.. I learned that one in Vegas..

haha thats funny
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    seekrit wrote: »

We always said "it's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission" in the military. icon_mrgreen.gif