Don't enjoy my job. Advice?
- I work in IT Helpdesk call center and I don't really enjoy my job.
- Reasons for hating my job include but not limited to: low salary (below 40k), micromanaged, far from home (total of 3 hrs commute time each day), extended work hours (work on holidays, night shifts), limited career opportunities within organization (will take 3-4 yrs to move into another department), being monitored (internet, phone recordings, cameras), heavy workload, no official lunch breaks (eat while talking to customers over the phone), proprietary systems (can't utilize knowledge in other organizations if i resign), get blamed (management trust customers more than employees), strict policies in non-sense areas, and don't have a personal desk.
- Recently, I over-heard rumors from management saying that our department will shrink. Limited budget. Might lay off people in the next 6 months to 1 year.
- I've been working here for about 1 year. Should I be looking for opportunties now? I'm still fairly new to the workforce but will it look bad if I resign around the 1 year 3 months point?
- I still work hard at my current job. But, less motivated as each day passes by. Manager can tell but I don't want a bad reference. Don't know how to stay motivated?
- Any advice/suggestions/comments for me will be accepted. I have about 19 months of experience in total (a mix of contract positions + current job)