MCSE 70-290 Book recommendations?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I'm just starting out with the MCSE certificate, and I was wondering which book do you guys recommend.

There's the MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core Requirements, Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294 from Microsoft, but I read that the book isn't rate very well.

So I'm not sure which one to get.

Comments

• zlh081zlh081 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,new guy
    This is right place and you can find alot of things.OK I am same to you and try to buy follow books recommend by forum users.

Mike Meyers' MCSE Windows Server 2003:70-290,70-291,70-293,&70-294(Mike Meyer'sCertification Passport S.)
    Cost is 52.49 pound
    Mike Meyers' MCSE/MCSA Windows Server 2003: Environment (Exam 70-290) (Mike Meyer's Certification Passport S.)
    Cost is 19.56 pound
  • RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    I decided to go with the MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows Server 2003. My package came in today by mail.

I'm going to take the plunge into the world of MCSE.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to use a mix of books. A study guide like the MS Press or Sybex books and a review style book like the Passport or Exam Cram 2 series.

The MS Press are long and dry, but have a lot of lab exercises.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • matttuppermatttupper Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For commuting and travel reading the Exam Cram 2 book is great as you don't have any practicals and it's a sensible size.

Other books seems to be a bit hit and miss. Check out the reviews in Amazon for real opinions
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Exam Cram2 worked 4 me. I don't like thick books full of the obvious.
  • deltaxdeltax Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi garv221,

How helpful is Exam Cram2 with new exam format? Is it OK if I don't need to read other references such as TK or MOC?

Please advise.
  • netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I see that you have th A+ certificate, I would recommend that you study for the Net+ cert before going into server side of things, especialy 2003 server, as the Network + gives you the benefit of undderstanding the fundamentals of Networking, the Net+ is a key certificate to the World of networking, as a foundation certificate.

Just my two penneth worth.

icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    netcom2000 wrote:
    I see that you have th A+ certificate, I would recommend that you study for the Net+ cert before going into server side of things, especialy 2003 server, as the Network + gives you the benefit of undderstanding the fundamentals of Networking, the Net+ is a key certificate to the World of networking, as a foundation certificate.

Just my two penneth worth.

icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

I started studying my Network+ but I decided to switch to MCSE for more job opportunties.

I have looked over a lot tech support job postings and I have never seen one that states, "Network+ Certification required".

But have seen a lot of tech support job postings that requires "MCSE certification" or Active Directory knowledge required.