Can I learn the CCNA with no experience in the job market? I want to create a lab

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
Hello Everyone. So after I get my N+, can I study for the CCNA even with no real world experience? I want to buy the equipment and build a lab so i can study and do the labs that are offered in the book through this website:

Advanced CCNA/Starter CCNP Kit IV

I know it is a long lengthy goal, but after I get my N+ in four-six months, then I can go after the CCNA, unless you guy's think otherwise.

Also, will setting up all this equipment screw up my current router setup that i have? I need some information before i start going crazy buying equipment and learning stuff. I know I still have to go through the N+ first, but I need answers now to some basic questions. Thanks everyone :) I love this forum!!!! :)

Comments

• Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Of course you can study the CCNA with no experience - it helps if you have some general IT and network awareness, but you do, as you're doing the N+.

CCENT is an entry level cert anyway. To be honest I wish I'd done my CCNA before I had any experience; I had a tendency to skip things because i thought I already knew them, but it's doubtful that real world experience will ever fully teach you some of the theory that's involved in the certs.

So, go for it - my only advice: avoid pre-built kits and get the equipment you need off ebay individually. avoid spending too much on routers as you can lab to death with GNS3 but get some decent switches - 2950 minimum but 3550/3560 if you can afford them.

Good luck.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I started with no experience. Most people probably do. It's a very difficult exam, but with hard work practicing subnetting, reading the theory, and doing lab work you can pass.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Chris_ wrote: »
    Of course you can study the CCNA with no experience - it helps if you have some general IT and network awareness, but you do, as you're doing the N+.

+1

I had zero knowledge of networks and no real world experience when I started studying for my CCNA. I went through the network+ at the same time to fill in the gaps of basic knowledge I was missing. I also used Packet Tracer + some cisco switches from various places to build experience.

Good luck in your studies.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is one website that has helped me immensely:
    Router Alley - Guides icon_study.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    My main goal is to become a systems administrator? Will this help me along the way? I know I have to start at the bottom like everyone else. My plain was to be a help desk person first and then move up from their.
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    My main goal is to become a systems administrator? Will this help me along the way? I know I have to start at the bottom like everyone else. My plain was to be a help desk person first and then move up from their.

after ccna u will become network admin not system admin

but doing ccna will be not waste if u want to pursue sytem admin
    it just added to ur resume

for if u want to become system admin then u should pursue
    1.MCSE FOR SERVER 2003( 4 exams for mcsa or 7 exams for mcse)
    2.MCITP FOR SERVER 2008( 3 exams for system admin or 6 exams for enterprise admin or 7 for both sa and ea)
    3.RHCE FOR red hat linux(just search on web)

for these u you should check on websites respective exams and their validity
    if u want to do mcitp so should start as early as possible after ccna because as microsoft exams of mcitp and mcts valid only till main steam support
    i think mainstram support for win2k8 till july 2013
    u can do ur mcse till 2015 because it extended support till 2015

so u can start mcse and then go for mcitp upgrade
    or directly start mcitp sa path as ur requirements

System Administrator: responsible for managing an organization's computer and operating systems. System administrators, or sys admins, normally manage and maintain several large-scale operating systems, such as UNIX and Microsoft Windows 2000, and are responsible for making sure that those operating systems work together, support end-users' business requirements, and function properly. Sys admins are also responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of an organization's operating systems, including backup and recovery, adding and deleting user accounts, and performing software upgrades. Sys admins sometime hold technical certifications like Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer or Sun Solaris Certifed Engineer.

Network Administrator: responsible for managing and maintaining an organization's Local Area Network (LAN). Network administrators normally focus on making sure an organization's LAN is tuned for optimum performance, delivering required information to end-users, and interacting properly with Wide Area Networks (WANs) like the Internet. Network administrators must be proficient with a wide variety of software and hardware, and normally hold specialized technical certifications like Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, Certified NetWare Engineer, and Cisco Certified Networking Associate.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Can I do both? That way I have a choice on whether I can be a System Admin or a Network admin.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Can I do both? That way I have a choice on whether I can be a System Admin or a Network admin.

Yes, you can do both.

But, it is more rewarding if you can diligently press to succeed in one or the other.

As you get more experience, you should figure out which one you like more, and you will naturally gravitate that way.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ccnaomkar wrote: »
    after ccna u will become network admin not system admin

No, one cert is not going to force you into any position.

Suppose I have both Cisco and Microsoft certs. Where would I fit in then?
  • steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Suppose I have both Cisco and Microsoft certs. Where would I fit in then?

You'd be a corporate wishbone, constantly being pulled in different directions.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello Everyone. So after I get my N+, can I study for the CCNA even with no real world experience? I want to buy the equipment and build a lab so i can study and do the labs that are offered in the book through this website:

Advanced CCNA/Starter CCNP Kit IV

I know it is a long lengthy goal, but after I get my N+ in four-six months, then I can go after the CCNA, unless you guy's think otherwise.

Also, will setting up all this equipment screw up my current router setup that i have? I need some information before i start going crazy buying equipment and learning stuff. I know I still have to go through the N+ first, but I need answers now to some basic questions. Thanks everyone :) I love this forum!!!! :)

Why not? It's how I started. Back in 1999 I bought Lammle's book. We were a 3Com shop with superstack switches and and boundary routers. I located a surplus 2501 in our storage (it was a decommission from a depot) and my boss at the time let me have it. I still have this beast. Quite a find as those things were over 500 dollars on ebay back then!

I changed jobs. After a week of practicing on a single router in my kitchen before I started the new gig I began the new job. Single site and all Cisco. Amended my first ACL a couple of weeks later. Happy days.