Options

MCITP:EA... Core 4 exams - books to buy?

RJC20RJC20 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
Trying to get back in learning mode to update my Win2k MCSE to a MCITP:EA....... icon_study.gif is this a good combo of books to buy as far as covering the majority of exam topics?

MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647): Windows Server® 2008 Enterprise Administrator Core Requirements
Amazon.com: MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647): Windows Server® 2008 Enterprise Administrator Core Requirements (9780735625723): Dan Holme, Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin, Anil Desai, Chris McCain, Ted Malone, John Polic

I'm told (by another thread on this site) that R2 of this kit is due out this summer, yes? If so I'll wait on it.

To compliment the materials in the above kit I was looking at:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed
Amazon.com: Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed (9780672330926): Rand Morimoto, Michael Noel, Omar Droubi, Ross Mistry, Chris Amaris: Books

MCTS 70-640 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring - Don Poulton; Paperback
Amazon.com: MCTS 70-640 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring (9780789737915): Don Poulton: Books

MCTS 70-642 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring - Patrick Regan; Paperback
Amazon.com: MCTS 70-642 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring (9780789738189): Patrick Regan: Books

MCTS 70-643 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring - Patrick Regan; Paperback
Amazon.com: MCTS 70-643 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring (9780789738196): Patrick Regan: Books

Comments

• Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RJC20 wrote: »
    MCTS 70-640 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring - Don Poulton; Paperback
    Amazon.com: MCTS 70-640 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring (9780789737915): Don Poulton: Books

Bought this one when studied for my 640 and found almost useless waste of money. MS Press book covers all aspects more deeply, better spend more time labing than read this or read MS Press book twice - ether way you do more good to yourself.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I don't think any of those exam cram books are R2 based. The Microsoft Press self-study guides are all coming out later this year. Do an Amazon search for Microsoft Press and the test numbers. You'll be able to see the anticipated publication date (nothing for the 70-647 exam yet though).

I wouldn't buy any server 2008 books at this time that are not for R2 -- too many changes from R1 to R2. Neither the 'mastering' R2 nor the R2 'unleashed' books are what I'd call study guides, they are more reference materials to use when you run into a problem (same with the administrator's desktop companion).

Sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a new Sybex book that covers 640, 642, and 643, with R2 coverage. Here's a thread about it:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/64779-mcts-windows-server-2008-r2-complete-study-guide-exams-70-640-70-642-70-643-a.html

I haven't read that book since I already passed those exams. However, I will still recommend it based on my experience with Sybex. I did use the Sybex books for the pre-R2 640, 642, and 643 exams. I've been using Sybex books for years and they are my first choice for not just exam prep, but learning in general (every Mastering book I've read has been great).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is a new Sybex book that covers 640, 642, and 643, with R2 coverage. Here's a thread about it:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/64779-mcts-windows-server-2008-r2-complete-study-guide-exams-70-640-70-642-70-643-a.html

I haven't read that book since I already passed those exams. However, I will still recommend it based on my experience with Sybex. I did use the Sybex books for the pre-R2 640, 642, and 643 exams. I've been using Sybex books for years and they are my first choice for not just exam prep, but learning in general (every Mastering book I've read has been great).

I am reading the above book as I type this on Kindle. I have to confer with MM on this; Sybex usually is solid on test prep. The book is good for someone like me that gives a good overview on what to expect on the test and since I have AD experience; I find the book to be an easy read.

As soon as I'm done with Part 1 of the book, I plan on sitting for the 70-640 after I test myself with uCertify (which is probably based on regular 2008, but the AD concepts have not changed THAT much in R2.)
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I am reading the above book as I type this on Kindle.

You have this for the kindle as well? I am wondering how the quality is on the kindle, does it fit nicely or is it like looking at a pdf in which you have to scroll the page back and forth to read the whole thing?

V
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Personally, I would stay away from the Exam Cram books unless you are a seasoned pro who just needs to review objectives and then take the exam. I ordered one for the 640 and found it absolutely horrible.

Sybex, as erpadmin said, is meant for someone who has some knowledge, but still has good in depth information.

Then the MS-Press books, which give more of a entry level aspect, but, I think also needs a supplementing. Well, all books need supplementing, as you shouldn't just be passing the test, but understanding the information to apply it on the job.

That is my take on the books.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Lord Nikon wrote: »
    You have this for the kindle as well? I am wondering how the quality is on the kindle, does it fit nicely or is it like looking at a pdf in which you have to scroll the page back and forth to read the whole thing?

V

For certain tables, if I don't change the font size, it bleeds over on the right and you can't see the words. I am using text-to-speech though to get through this book quicker than normal. Text-To-Speech also solves that bleeding problem (it will still read the words that you can't see.) I do shut text-to-speech so that I can lab...and have already utilized VirtualBoxes in that regard. One other note is that this issue probably wouldn't exist on a Kindle DX. I have a Kindle 2 (6" screen.) I would actually buy a Kindle DX, but I can't justify spending $379 on one...especially when I can get a laptop with a Kindle app for the same price, just about....that's neither here nor there though. My Kindle 2 was free...the only thing I spent money on was the cover, the books and the extended warranty.

So far, it reads more as an overview and it is not very in-depth [you're not going to be a 2008 R2 master with this guide alone...that's why I don't see this guide as being in-depth (thanks crrussell3 for making me write this...lmao!)].

For me, that works because I am not that unfamiliar with AD...however for someone else, they may need another resource. I'm on Chapter 5 now (5 more to go for the 70-640 but I only have time for one chapter a night until the weekend). That isn't to say that it's not detailed, it's just not deep (but I wasn't looking for that, anyway in a cert-prep book).

I would still rather have the Kindle book than the physical book though (and not just for text-to-speech). If I have the opportunity to not clutter my office with books, the Kindle gives me a good opportunity to do so.
  • Options
    RJC20RJC20 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm, the Exam Crams I used as my augmentative coles notes type books for my Win2k MCSE.... thought they might be good in the same way.

I guess waiting until there's more R2 books out is the concensus with everyone here for the most part.

I have used Sybex books before for MCSE courses...

Does the Sybex complete study guide for those 3 exams cover everything in detail, or are there separate Sybex books for each exam that are better to buy?

So, MS Press R2 kit + that Sybex complete study (or Sybex in general) is the best mix?
  • Options
    RJC20 wrote: »
    Hmmm, the Exam Crams I used as my augmentative coles notes type books for my Win2k MCSE.... thought they might be good in the same way.

I guess waiting until there's more R2 books out is the concensus with everyone here for the most part.

I have used Sybex books before for MCSE courses...

Does the Sybex complete study guide for those 3 exams cover everything in detail, or are there separate Sybex books for each exam that are better to buy?

So, MS Press R2 kit + that Sybex complete study (or Sybex in general) is the best mix?

First of all, "Exam Crap" is just that...let's move on. :)

The only materials right now that are available that specifically say R2 is from Sybex (The Complete Guide 2008 R2 one.) It's brand spanking new...and it matches the objectives in each of the exams. It's also broken up into three parts that corresponds to the 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643. There is an assessment in the beginning of the book that shows you what to potentially study for, but I tend to ignore those, as I want to read the book in its entirety...even for stuff I already know. How else can you review material, otherwise?

If there are materials available now, it doesn't make sense waiting...all this time you spent waiting for a "better book" you could have been half-way done reading one part of the book (like I am) and then taking notes on what you might need additional study on. Sybex does not exactly suck and neither does this particular author (William Panek...)

He's no Darril Gibson, but then again, that's ok too...lol. [Actually, I'll know for sure when I take the 70-640 soon...very soon...definitely sometime in May.]

So my advice is to go out and get the Sybex Complete Study Guide for the 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643. You have nothing to lose by reading it...especially if you are going for the EA certification.