Phenom vs. X2 (AM2)

petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
I have been using this mobo:

ECS Web Site

I'm contemplating dropping in a different CPU to upgrade my nicely-working-but-probably-soon-not-powerful-enough Athlon 64. The power uses will be VMs running SQL Server, SCCM, Apache. I'd like to get opinions of the good folks here on which CPU they think would be best. I read one posted VMWare community review that said the X2 was actually a better performer than a Phenom for a similar config. Thoughts?
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
--Will Rogers

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Well that MB doesn't support Phenoms:
    Question
    Does the GeForce7050M-M PCB V1.0A support AMD Phenom CPU?

Answer
    The GeForec7050M-M PCB V1.0A can't support AMD Phenom CPU. Due to the PCB V1.0A only can support Socket AM2 for AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core/ Athlon 64/ Sempron processor. And all CPUs supported by V1.0A were all listed in the following website,it's for your information.

If you're going to stay with AMD and can upgrade your MB and ram* (depending on the MB), look at the Phenom X4 or x6's (4 and 6 core CPU's).

I won't list all the reasons, but look at the benchmarks on various sites :)

-ken
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    Well that MB doesn't support Phenoms:

If you're going to stay with AMD and can upgrade your MB and ram* (depending on the MB), look at the Phenom X4 or x6's (4 and 6 core CPU's).

I won't list all the reasons, but look at the benchmarks on various sites :)

-ken

Odd. I seem to remember someone saying it did.

The whole notion of looking into this upgrade is to try to get some more use out of this system before I start lots of parts retirements, as I've only had this config a year or two.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My suggestion would be to save the extra money towards a new setup using the next generation AMD when it comes out or towards the newly released second generation i7. You would really need an AM3 board for the Phenoms, especially the X6. An AM2+ at a minimum AFAIK. No offense but I don't like ECS either and I would build a new rig around a quality Asus or Gigabyte board. The next generation AMD is proposed to be AM3+ from what I've heard but the second generation i7s are really fast these days it's not worth throwing good money after relatively slow upgrades. For lab purposes your current setup would probably be just fine for now.