Options

70-642 Lab

foxhenryfoxhenry Banned Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi experts, is there any software for lab simulation for studying 70-642? or really need to setup computers for lab exercises..or what are the cheap alternatives for doing labs?
thank you in advance... :)

Comments

• Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Don't know of any lab simulation software. Can't speak for anyone else, but I used VMWare workstation and set up multiple virtual machines on one of two physical machines -- laptop with an Intel i3 processor and a desktop with an AMD quad core phenom. Both machines were boosted to 8gb RAM, the CPUs and BIOS supported virtualization, and external USB hard drives were sometimes used to spread the workload from a single drive spindle.

I don't know if any of the freeware virtual machine software will allow 64-bit guest OS's on a 64-bit host.

Sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You can download a trial of 2008 R2 and install Virtualbox, which allows for x64 guests, even when installed on a x32 workstation.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    spd3432 wrote: »
    I don't know if any of the freeware virtual machine software will allow 64-bit guest OS's on a 64-bit host.

Sean

Virtualbox!

It allows 64-bit guest OS's on a 32-bit (O/S) host, so I can't see why it can't be used on a 64-bit host. HOWEVER, the hardware must be 64-bit and the Virtualization part on the BIOS must be turned on. I can personally speak of this, because I installed 2 VB guests on my own i5 laptop.
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use VMwarePlayer for my labs on a 64 bit home machine with good results. I chose it mainly because we have VMware at work. Free.
  • Options
    thank you guys, for all your responses. right now can't afford to buy a new and latest pc. So i guess i just need to stick to what i have right now. I'll just used virtual pc from MS which is free and installed win2k8 on it for practice. :)
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    foxhenry wrote: »
    thank you guys, for all your responses. right now can't afford to buy a new and latest pc. So i guess i just need to stick to what i have right now. I'll just used virtual pc from MS which is free and installed win2k8 on it for practice. :)

If your computer is 64 bit (its ok if you have a 32 bit OS installed) and capable of virtualization, you should install Virtualbox (which is 100% free, made by Oracle) and download the Windows Server 2008 R2 trial to lab with that. You will need hands on experience with R2 to pass the exams.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    hi crrusell3, thanks for your response. Getting started to keep my hands wet for microsoft cert. Had starting reading Introducing Win2k8 R2 ebook cause not so familiar with win2k8 just trying to give my best shot for this certificate.
    agree with you need to do hands on lab to familiarize the settings and to understand the concepts also.
    will post here for any help :)