Options

B.S. in ISS from ITT --- your thoughts please

SFormwaltSFormwalt Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey gang!
I am currently attending ITT for my BS in ISS (Information System Security). I have 6 years of IT experience along with military experience. I left the IT field about 2 years ago due to burn out but I am working my way back towards IT. I am also looking into taking the Security+ exam to add to my resume. I just can't stay away. I am curious what others think of a BS from ITT and what doors this degree may open for me.

Any thoughts?!?!?

Thanks
Sarah

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    That combined with 6 years of experience should be more than enough to land you a fairly decent job.
  • Options
    xetrevxetrev Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    personally i think ITT degree's are crap compared to a normal college degree, that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I think any degree is a good degree & one from technical college is better than that of a university.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've also heard bad things of ITT Tech's degrees, but I don't know personally.
  • Options
    iamstevejobsiamstevejobs Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    as an IT professional that was involved in the interview process as well as hiring of IT staff at my company it was evident that our ITT applicants were lacking. When i say lacking i dont mean in technical apptitude but more so in interview skills. If ITT taught you anything about interviewing and resume writing throw it out the window. Go with your own instincts or take part in interview seminars or other resume writing modules.

Your resume can be brilliant but if your interview bombs that resume may not even get a second look.
    -iamstevejobs
  • Options
    bluemasonbluemason Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out www.degreeinfo.com and go to their forum. You can also do a search on ITT and see what comes up... it's an excellent site and will help you with you education wants/needs icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    as an IT professional that was involved in the interview process as well as hiring of IT staff at my company it was evident that our ITT applicants were lacking. When i say lacking i dont mean in technical apptitude but more so in interview skills. If ITT taught you anything about interviewing and resume writing throw it out the window. Go with your own instincts or take part in interview seminars or other resume writing modules.

Your resume can be brilliant but if your interview bombs that resume may not even get a second look.

I have done plenty of technical interviews, and I can tell you this is very common...not just ITT.. I had to interview someone with a Masters in EE and had his IE in routing and switching...by the end of the interview, I was wondering if he was capable of dressing himself in the morning. I had someone last week tell me that layer 4 of the OSI model was the sausage layer....and he didn't even crack a smile....or CCNPs that could not tell me the difference between LinkState and distance vector. And my favorites are the ones that don't even know what job they are interviewing for...And all of these people had great looking resumes...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    HackNackHackNack Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I myself am a pizza layer guy, but that's just me. Sausage is fine too, I guess. icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bluemason wrote:
    Check out www.degreeinfo.com and go to their forum. You can also do a search on ITT and see what comes up... it's an excellent site and will help you with you education wants/needs icon_smile.gif

I actually did a search on that and it wasnt very good for the people going to ITT. There were more threads but ITT just has a bad rap and some people wished they never gotten into it. Even if they teach you good it still has that bad rap with Employers so it is best that you get your degrees somewhere else which has better track record with Employers.

http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?s=fc8ade805db090407acb60002bdad748&threadid=16403&highlight=ITT
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    I had someone last week tell me that layer 4 of the OSI model was the sausage layer....and he didn't even crack a smile

LMAO!!!!

Which one is the meatball layer??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    eclipse97gseclipse97gs Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have heard both good and bad about ITT. I was considering going to ITT but opted to go to my local community college then off to a university. Its turning out to be cheaper. And my credit ours are accreditted. Which I wanted because later on if I change fields or go back for more schooling the majority of my credits will transfer as ITT maybe 2 out of the 30 credits u take are transferable. but a tech school teaches the ins and outs of that field.
  • Options
    xetrevxetrev Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have worked with 8 ITT grads in the past year, Not one of them were up to par with anything. You are better off getting a REAL 4 year degree from a community college vrs wasting your money on ITT.
  • Options
    VincentZVincentZ Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You will want to go to the school that is right for you. The whole "real college degree from a state school" ideal is in all honesty a huge crock. Most employers won't look at that unless you go to a school with a reputation, whether good or bad. If ITT is a fit for someone of your schedule, needs, and desires, then go for it. I work for one of ITT's competion so I give this advice from a neutral perspective.