Options

IT Work Attire

124»

Comments

• Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mate, what a thread, <pardon the pun!!!!>

Looks like our work garments has us all in a stitcht!! Well seams <hutt..hmmm, again, pardon the pun> that what you wear really does depend on job role and environment. Personally I have had jobs where shirts and ties are mandatory and you get that kind of "neck-itch" almost like a blunt shaving rash, I don't know, but perhaps my neck was too big for the shirt, the tie too tight for my neck, or I am just turning into a fat bastard!!

All jokes aside, I am going for a new job and was browsing the wardrobe the other day thinking of what exactly to ware to the interview and whilke working onsite???
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless I am going to be doing over an hour of planned rack 'n' stack work in the datacenter, it is slacks and a dress shirt on most days. If we are having meetings or other more formal events, I may add a tie and jacket, or go with a full suit.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm biz cas m-th, and fridays i rock jeans & sneakers...

i've worked at companies where i can rock jeans & sneakers everyday...i loved it, and would love to go back to that type of workplace environment...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Casual. Cargo pants and a collar shirt on Mon-Thur and some type of gaming shirt on Friday. I think a few times a year we have to wear business attire if we have a major client visit, but those visits are rare from what I'm told.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My company's informal dress code is very relaxed. On any given day you will see everything from the execs or sales folks in suits to the devs in tshirts, flip flops and shorts. I meet them somewhere in the middle, usually jeans and a casual long sleeve shirt. I dress up or down depending on any meetings or data center crawling scenarios.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually wear jeans, boat shoes or some type of nice casual shoes, button up shirt or polo. If I'm out helping one of our technicians I'll wear jeans and a tshirt, since most of our work is outside, it sucks to be sweating in a nice button up shirt.

No hoodies what-so-ever according to HR - I've seen HR wear them before.

I used to wear khakis everyday, but no one else really wears them so I decided not to do this anymore.

I've worn tshirts to work on Fridays. I usually wear something that my fiancee has designed (she's a graphic designer). They're quite elegant, nothing offensive. I've also worn some shirts to work from ThinkGeek.com before :) I get a few laughs out of them. Especially the one that has "No, I will not fix your computer".
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Business suit or nice slacks and a blouse. I'm on the same floor as most executives for my company so impression is everything.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    "No, I will not fix your computer".

So any IT geeks on here that don't have this T-Shirt :) (I have the white writting on black version ;) )

Once a user had a real go at me for wearing this, it was my day off and I happened to be in work (i am a bit sad like that), a user saw e go by and asked if I could help them with some word problem, took my coat of and the told me IT staff should not wear tops like it. At which point i mentioned it was my day of and asked is she till wanted help :)

and of course and IT geek worth his salt must have the

http://fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Sudo-T-Shirt.jpg?cb5e28

that the kind of thing I wear out of hours when i come in to work in the labs and just want to feel relaxed and comfy
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Im my office, the dress is business casual: no jeans, sneakers, flip-flops, or t-shirts. On Fridays when we don't have a customer coming in, we are allowed to be a little more casual: jeans are allowed, t-shirts with the company logo are allowed, still no sneakers or flip-flops.

I am miserable in 99% of all dress shoes but found that Belvederes are very comfortable for dress shoes. When I am not at work, I only ever wear flip flops or barefoot running shoes. If I got to choose what I wanted to wear, it would be jeans, t-shirt, and flip-flops everyday.

I personally think that the worst thing you can wear is a polo or dress shirt that is not tucked in. It looks far less professional than just a t-shirt. There are button-ups that are designed to be worn untucked, but that is not the norm and I don't call those dress shirts.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Depends on the day
    Pants and a button up shirt
    Or dragonscale kev vest with a ar15 ... And pants
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jeans/tshirt although I keep a polo in my car in case I need to visit a client site.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am wearing this today. ;)

companyscomputer.jpg
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't go wrong with a collared button down shirt and khakis, especially first day on the job. I wear this combo everyday, might get away with jeans on Friday since it is "dress down" day
  • Options

yer see no argument with a guy who dresses like that ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    yer see no argument with a guy who dresses like that ;)
    im a probation officer so when i need some protection i use it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on the day
    What expensive work attire :) Do you have different color vests?
    You want to work at a rodeo?
    sorry Forsaken, I lol'd
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    I wear a suit minus a tie but really it is not really the best attire to wear and others in the department have begun to realise this and tend to be slightly more casual.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Depends on the day

WOW, the users are that dangerous? Yikes...
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    BDUs everyday :-/
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I am wearing this today. ;)

companyscomputer.jpg

lolz...classic...

original.jpg
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Jeans and a collared shirt here. Sneakers are ok, but I generally wear a pair of leather loafers or boots - I don't want to look exactly like everyone else...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    the_hutch wrote: »
    BDUs everyday :-/

I miss the BDUs - at least I always knew what I was wearing. Only thing that really pissed me off though was the insistence on the creases and how shiny your boots were.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    So last day at work today, thought this was the perfect attire to turn up in :)
    will_not_fix_kids.jpg
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    So last day at work today, thought this was the perfect attire to turn up in :)
    will_not_fix_kids.jpg
    I'm wearing this shirt today. Though, not that anyone can see it. I'm wearing it under my black collared shirt.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S