Options

Network Engineer Phone Screen

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    This is related but not directly. I noticed that I do say um alot and I was wondering what you guys do to well not say that. Almost all of the time I am saying um to give my mouth a chance to catch up with my brain but I wonder how it sounds. My current boss said it can make people doubt what I say. I am just curious if it any of you have the same problem.

Happens to us all. After a while I just kind of realized there is only so much one person can do at any given time. So I just try to catch myself, especially at work I will keep the subject of any conversation limited to the current projects and state some future projects but their is no timeline for those future projects. Especially when surprise projects just sprout out of the ground or another project with a higher important raises it's head from management, you never know when going to be thrown your way.

I use to be that way with everything, even certifications I'd say I'm studying for this, this, this, and this.. months later I didn't accomplish anything. It got to the point where I had to tell myself I'm trying to study for this do not look at another subject.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    I use to be that way with everything, even certifications I'd say I'm studying for this, this, this, and this.. months later I didn't accomplish anything. It got to the point where I had to tell myself I'm trying to study for this do not look at another subject.

My problem is that there are just so many things that I feel like I should know that I feel like I have to learn it all at once. I have had to buckle down and study the WCNA just to give myself a clear goal.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My problem is that there are just so many things that I feel like I should know that I feel like I have to learn it all at once.

But you don't have to learn them all. I've said this before, you are only hurting yourself. Mental capacity can only go so far. Know what you manage, manage what you know.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    My problem is that there are just so many things that I feel like I should know that I feel like I have to learn it all at once. I have had to buckle down and study the WCNA just to give myself a clear goal.

Pick a clear path and stick with it. If you happen to get a job that requires something, then you should deviate form the plan and study. If you intend on getting into packet analysis or IDS type work, stick with it. Don't stop mid studying on the Wireshark cert to go study VMware or something unless it is absolutely needed by your job.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    But you don't have to learn them all. I've said this before, you are only hurting yourself. Mental capacity can only go so far. Know what you manage, manage what you know.

I know, I know but let me explain...

Pick a clear path and stick with it. If you happen to get a job that requires something, then you should deviate form the plan and study. If you intend on getting into packet analysis or IDS type work, stick with it. Don't stop mid studying on the Wireshark cert to go study VMware or something unless it is absolutely needed by your job.

Not like that. It's like this, I want to be a security/network analyst/engineer so I know I need to have a solid foundation of networking. But which part of networking? Wired or Wireless (IMO both)? Voice or Data (IMO both)? Wan or Lan (IMO both)? Then of course solid understanding of Intrusion and attack vectors and how to defend them (GCIA/GPEN/GCED). So it isn't like I am stopping Wireshark to go study like storage (in depth anyway) but how can you look at packets on a network if you don't understand networking (at least on a moderately deep level). How can you tell if your san is flaking out if you don't understand normal san operation? How can you baseline what you don't understand? That's what I mean by so many things. I have decided I don't want to be a developer (full time) or dba or exchange admin (I hate exchange) BUT I do want to be a networking guy, a security guy and a linux guy. So I study little by little but there is so much to just the aspects of IT that I want.
  • Options
    As long as your learning I'd say your doing ok.

Certificates are nice to have and acquire but try not to get consumed by them.

When I first past my CCNA, I didn't take another certification test for another 2 years (maybe a little longer) but I kept learning new things (depending on what my job demanded of me), then I started looking toward certificates again.

Now I'm not saying do not set a goal to get a certificate but just that the certificate is not everything. (I used an awful lot of negatives in there I hope this comes out the way I want).

Trust me you will want to buckle down and tackle one subject at a time. Whether it be WCNA or GPEN (or anything else)
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Yea learning is a must. 2 years, I pretty much have gone 8 months without a cert. mostly because of work and me being lazy.
  • Options
    Got an offer pending paperwork and my background check. Should start in a few weeks (if everything goes ok).
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Got an offer pending paperwork and my background check. Should start in a few weeks (if everything goes ok).

For what job? I've lost track somewhere.
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Congrats man, was that the Engineering job for that VAR/Wireless ISP? If so welcome to engineering!
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    Congrats! So, when are you buying us all lunch?
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    For what job? I've lost track somewhere.
    millworx wrote: »
    Congrats man, was that the Engineering job for that VAR/Wireless ISP? If so welcome to engineering!

That's the one. I was told it is going to be Wireless/Firewall/RS/Design/Security/Troubleshooting intensive and they are trying to beef up their network team with someone security conscious (get some WIDS/HIDS/NIDS going) so I am pretty happy. Now as long as they don't find out about my wild past lol

I am excited. A nice pay bump and some cool toys. Projected start date is in a few weeks so I am going to reread network warrior and try to knock out the WCNA before I start. I also need to do some labbing with ipsec vpns and start studying wireless. WCNA, CCDA, CCNA:W and/or CWNA will be immediate future with CCNP/CCIP/CCNP:S being on deck. Since they won't someone to be that security guy as well some SANS are in my mind but I am not to worried about that yet. My real goal is to further my understanding of network and networks down to the packet level and have rfc level knowledge of networking and security. And to get scrilla :)
    ipchain wrote: »
    Congrats! So, when are you buying us all lunch?

Well if you were local...

*lies. My past is super vanilla icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    WCNA, CCDA, CCNA:W and/or CWNA will be immediate future with CCNP/CCIP/CCNP:S being on deck. Since they won't someone to be that security guy as well some SANS are in my mind but I am not to worried about that yet. My real goal is to further my understanding of network and networks down to the packet level and have rfc level knowledge of networking and security. And to get scrilla :)

Unless the ask you for it I would just dive in to your new position, you may be too busy to even want to think about technology when you get home. Enjoy your life a little too :)
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    Unless the ask you for it I would just dive in to your new position, you may be too busy to even want to think about technology when you get home. Enjoy your life a little too :)

You are probably right. I want to get WCNA for me.They did sort of ask for CCNA:Wireless so I might pick that up as well. I am going to dive in hardcore. Especially since I need to learn ASA (apparently lots of things changed from 6.3 to 8.0) lol. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Congrats bruh!!! *edap* All I can say is hit the ground running man.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Congrats. You made it! how much percentage of a bump did you get?

Goodluck on the enterprise wireless. Its amazing if you understand, design and implemented enterprise wireless. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    Congrats bruh!!! *edap* All I can say is hit the ground running man.

Thanks a lot I hope to do so.

NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Congrats. You made it! how much percentage of a bump did you get?

Like 30% before taxes. Which is going to suck come tax time.
    Goodluck on the enterprise wireless. Its amazing if you understand, design and implemented enterprise wireless. icon_thumright.gif

Yea. From a person who has both CWNA and CCNA:W which do you think has had more value for you (directly and indirectly)?
  • Options
    Congrats man! Sounds like a lot of good technology!
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yea. From a person who has both CWNA and CCNA:W which do you think has had more value for you (directly and indirectly)?

This is excellent news. Two of my favorite people here are getting new jobs that are taking them to the next level professionally and a third is just a step away from his MCSE Security. Excellent.

So, should I change my name to V8nilaSw1tch to celebrate? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    This is excellent news. Two of my favorite people here are getting new jobs that are taking them to the next level professionally and a third is just a step away from his MCSE Security. Excellent.

So, should I change my name to V8nilaSw1tch to celebrate? icon_lol.gif

LOL!!!!!

Hey when are we going to do the next ohio area meet up?
  • Options

congrats 30% is good. Im sure your expenses and tax are cheap due to your location.

It seems that that they want you to pretty much deal with RS, Security and Servers. They should pay you more.

Anyhow, I think CWNA will help you if you dont deal with Cisco WLC, WCS and AP's. CWNA gives a good explanation of the science behind wireless. It will also help you troubleshoot. Always think out of the box.

CCNA-W will help you if you will deal with Cisco wireless devices.

The thing about wireless is you need to understand the whole picture.
    AP WLC WCS Authentication/Encryption and integration to their PC. are they going to be in public internet or private connection?

Goodluck
  • Options
    congrats 30% is good. Im sure your expenses and tax are cheap due to your location.

It seems that that they want you to pretty much deal with RS, Security and Servers. They should pay you more.

Anyhow, I think CWNA will help you if you dont deal with Cisco WLC, WCS and AP's. CWNA gives a good explanation of the science behind wireless. It will also help you troubleshoot. Always think out of the box.

CCNA-W will help you if you will deal with Cisco wireless devices.

The thing about wireless is you need to understand the whole picture.
    AP WLC WCS Authentication/Encryption and integration to their PC. are they going to be in public internet or private connection?

Goodluck

It is a Cisco shop so there will be cisco APs and such. I think I will probably pick it up. How much do you deal with radius?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Got an offer pending paperwork and my background check.
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    It is a Cisco shop so there will be cisco APs and such. I think I will probably pick it up. How much do you deal with radius?

Its already set up. We usually admin it.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Thanks!
    Its already set up. We usually admin it.

My only real experience with Radius is IAS and my freeradius failure lol.
  • Options
    Thanks!

My only real experience with Radius is IAS and my freeradius failure lol.
    lol
    are you going to set up a RADIUS server for them? Maybe they already have it.
  • Options
    lol
    are you going to set up a RADIUS server for them? Maybe they already have it.

Naw. These guys actually built their own radius implementation. icon_eek.gif

It was kind of funny, during the interview they asked "How much experience do you have with radius" and I said "just a little with IAS and FreeRADIUS" and they said "Oh well we built our own implementation". I sat there like wtf. But yea that is pretty cool.
  • Options
    Naw. These guys actually built their own radius implementation. icon_eek.gif

It was kind of funny, during the interview they asked "How much experience do you have with radius" and I said "just a little with IAS and FreeRADIUS" and they said "Oh well we built our own implementation". I sat there like wtf. But yea that is pretty cool.

thats good. I have a co worker that built a RADIUS server for our enterprise wireless. He's very technical. I would give him all my certs for his brain. lol
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    What, they created their own radius server from scratch? Map props for that, but doesn't it seem a bit unnecessary? I wonder what they gain from it they can't get from pre-existing solutions?

But then again we use RSA at my work and you know how well they've been going lately
  • Options
    TesseracT wrote: »
    What, they created their own radius server from scratch? Map props for that, but doesn't it seem a bit unnecessary? I wonder what they gain from it they can't get from pre-existing solutions?

But then again we use RSA at my work and you know how well they've been going lately

From what they said there was a speed issue. Radius is extremely important to the business and other solutions weren't fast enough.