Options

Vmworld 2011

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
This is coming up and I may get the chance to go through work, got some good feed back from people I know that attended in 2010.

If I get to go my plan is to spend as much time trying to learn about products I don't work with everyday and see how they could be used at my company. I have done little research into whats available at vmworld, so I am posting to see if anyone here who has attended can tell what to hit and what to miss.

Also, my general plan, what do you guys think about that? Am I looking at this conference from the wrong angle?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm definite going to VMworld this year as a first timer; I did attend a very nice HP conference a little over a year ago, and it was very informative. I also attended a SharePoint/can't remember the other half conference last year and it was pretty much a waste of time.

From what I can gather from people who attended, and from the recent conferences that I attended, my goal is to get to the hands-on labs, hopefully get some news on upcoming products from third party vendors, get all the free stuff that I can, and hopefully sign an NDA, and get some new tidbits on future versions of vSphere.

I hope you get to attend, it's fun and educational. (geez, I sound like a billboard)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    VMworld 2011 is in Las Vegas and is a bit pricey.

Company is likely going to pay otherwise I won't go. If I was paying I'd rather go to a security conference, but since my role is not a full time security position I don't think they would swing that.
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    VMworld 2011 is in Las Vegas and is a bit pricey.

This is where you negotiate with your vendors or with VMware. Especially with fiscal year ending soon and getting P.O.'s signed. Check with your account reps at major vendors like HP, Dell, EMC, Symantec and Cisco see if they have any tickets to spare. But you have to ask now.

Granted of the 5 of us that want to go only 2 or 3 will be selected. Just my luck I am the new guy on the team and may have to wait till next year. =(
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you get a discount if you are a VCP... or so I was told by a co-worker

I wanted to go to VMworld this year, but I'm going to EMC World instead (which is still pretty darn cool)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    azjag wrote: »
    This is where you negotiate with your vendors or with VMware. Especially with fiscal year ending soon and getting P.O.'s signed. Check with your account reps at major vendors like HP, Dell, EMC, Symantec and Cisco see if they have any tickets to spare. But you have to ask now.

Granted of the 5 of us that want to go only 2 or 3 will be selected. Just my luck I am the new guy on the team and may have to wait till next year. =(

We got a free pass to EMC World this way... definitely worth a shot if you are making a VMware purchase in the next few months
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    We got a free pass to EMC World this way... definitely worth a shot if you are making a VMware purchase in the next few months

It doesn't only have to be a VMware purchase. We are purchasing 8 HP dl980's, 2k Dell desktops and laptops, renewing our licensing with Microsoft, VMware and a dozen other vendors. Any one of these vendors can get you tickets. But you never know until you ask or if you don't ask the answer is no.
    blargoe wrote: »
    I think you get a discount if you are a VCP... or so I was told by a co-worker

I wanted to go to VMworld this year, but I'm going to EMC World instead (which is still pretty darn cool)

You do get a $100 discount for possessing a VMware certification. VMworld.com: Pricing & Policies

Although if i was forced to pay out of pocket I would shoot for the education discount.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)