Options

What OS do the ytest now for A+

spursspurs Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ive been a tech for 4 years now so not to concerned about the hardware side of exam...actually passed it 2 years ago but never took the OS side of things.... I think its time i picked up some certs a figured A+ would be easiest and a good way of getting used to studying again icon_sad.gif So now I'm just curious as to what Os 2000 XP or combination or....

thanks for the input fella's and ladies......
spurs!!!

Comments

• Options
    CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    Welcome aboard, take a look at comptia.org.Pick up the passport book by Mike Myers and the questions from this site, and you should be good as new
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The OSs tested on in the 2002 objectives are Windows 9x/ME, NT 4 and 2000. The 2003 objectives will also include Windows XP.

Check out the details here: www.comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    there is a little dos knowledge required too, but it's mainly the files needed to boot and how you alter attributes of files and stuff.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Actually I deliberately left out DOS, but you are right BellBoy. The files related to DOS (config.sys and autoexec.bat and the various command-line utilities) are related to, and included in Windows as well, although some indeed for backward-compatibilty with DOS applications. For example the ones you mentioned "alter attributes of files and stuff" attrib.exe is included in Windows and could be seen as 'a part of Windows', although I agree it is still a DOS command. Let's say DOS is not one of the OSs you have to install and play with and connect to a network for example, to study the exam objectives... although it could be good practice for some, since these files orginated from DOS will appear on many OS exams to come.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i had toyed with the idea of installing dos onto one one the computers in my lab for a+ study, but decided against it. i had used dos/win3.x on 2nd user 286 machines about six years ago when i started messing with computers and still have the disks, but decided against having a dos pc in the lab as i felt i would be unlikely to come across such machines in the-field.

needless to say, the last firm i worked for only upgraded their 386s about two years ago, and i believe they ran on dos.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    spursspurs Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK thanks guys tring to figure out if my axam cram book is still up to date!! man seems like ive been gone for years!!!
    spurs!!!