Options

70-680 vs 72-680 ?

jerry7jerry7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I noticed that you can take certifications using student credentials (if you are a student) and get discounts. The downside of that is insteading of showing 70-680 on your transcript, it will show 72-680 (72-xxx is the prefix for the student). I just spoke with a MS Certification representative and he said that the contents are the same only the prefixs are different.

I am currently a System Admin as well a student in University.

Should I just for the regular 70-680 exam without the discount or the student discount? Personally I think 70-680 for IT PRO would be more recognized over 72-680 for :)Student.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the help!

JL

Comments

• Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I'm a student also and do 72 and 73 Certification test there is no difference and no the don’t show up as 70-680 they show up as

Exam ID Description Date Completed

5031 CompTIA A+ April 29, 2011

4990 CompTIA Network+ April 29, 2011

620 TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client February 18, 2011

This is my transcript from Microsoft as you can see it only shows as 620 and not 70,72,73 -620 the only difference from 70 72 and 73 is how it was payed and discounted 70 is the Normal $125.00 and 72 and 73 are $60.00 student discount.

If go through Prometric I get a 72-??? test if a pay at my school for some reason its 73-???.

In the end it's the same test and same certification and only shows up as 680 on your certificate and transcript.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    its the same credential on your transcript no difference. how are you a sys admin?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the help. I needed that confirmation as I do not want the certificate to show up with 72-xxx prefixs.

I've been in the IT industry for a quite sometimes now, mainly working with server 2003/2008, GPO, ESX. :)

JL
  • Options
    jerry7 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the help. I needed that confirmation as I do not want the certificate to show up with 72-xxx prefixs.

I've been in the IT industry for a quite sometimes now, mainly working with server 2003/2008, GPO, ESX. :)

JL

looks like certifications wont be much of a challenge for you with some good prepwork.

good luck. which certifications do you want to achieve?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    TimelordTimelord Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks! Currently, my goal is to get MCIPT:EA,SA
    How about yourself?

Timelord:
    Thanks very much for the great info!

Cheers!
    JL
  • Options
    jerry7 wrote: »
    Thanks! Currently, my goal is to get MCIPT:EA,SA
    How about yourself?

Timelord:
    Thanks very much for the great info!

Cheers!
    JL
    I would suggest the Dan Poulton book.
    Amazon.com: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring (9780789747075): Don Poulton: Books

the official microsoft press is plagued with errors.

I would supplement this with Videos. Watch CBT nuggets if you can, also the link that someone posted above is a collection of free vids.
    Something I highly suggest is James Messer's videos.
    he has done free vids for A+ and Network+ and Security+ as well as the 680.
    Professor Messer's Free Microsoft 70-680 Certification Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

Also, as with any test, you want to lab and practice practice practice.
    this is done with virtual machine software. pick your choice.

as for me, im almost done with MCDST. in the summer i wish to do maybe Security+ and then move on to 680/685 for the win 7 desktop tech cert.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Great tips my friend! I will definitely have a look at that book as well as the study resources that you have posted.

I deeply wish you luck on your upcoming certification journeys as well as your future career!

If all goes well, I shall be taking 680 Win7 cert next month. :)

JL
  • Options
    danmancadanmanca Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just ran across this forum. I had the same questions as this user. I believe you guys answered everything. Just wanted to make sure that if i take the 72-680 series it can also be compatible to meet the requirement for the MCITP: EA. Although this will be my first test on the way to this certification, I hope to obtain this in the future and just want to be absolutely sure that if I take the 72 series of the test it will meet this criteria.
  • Options
    danmanca wrote: »
    Just ran across this forum. I had the same questions as this user. I believe you guys answered everything. Just wanted to make sure that if i take the 72-680 series it can also be compatible to meet the requirement for the MCITP: EA. Although this will be my first test on the way to this certification, I hope to obtain this in the future and just want to be absolutely sure that if I take the 72 series of the test it will meet this criteria.
    i believe so.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Here is an Updated transcript since my last post and I use the 72-Series for all my test.
    MICROSOFT CERTIFICATION EXAMS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY:

Exam ID Description Date Completed

623 Pro: Microsoft Desktop Support – CONSUMER May 06, 2011

5031 CompTIA A+ April 29, 2011

4990 CompTIA Network+ April 29, 2011

620 TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client February 18, 2011

As you can see the 623 is a PRO test to get an MCITP so yes it still does not matter you can use any of the 70,72 or 73 Series test there all the same it's just how you purchased it and what discounts applied.
    I have the piece of paper saying Microsoft IT Professional there is absolutely no difference.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246