Options

Testout LabSim?

wiu81wiu81 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Have any of you used this program to prepare for an exam? Everyone seems to use CBT Nuggets. My employer is offering to pay for a 70-640 course at a CC or purchase the course in Labsim.

Thoughts???

Comments

• Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Only a few thousands of us (that used both). icon_smile.gif

CBT nuggets is just videos while Labsims are simulations, tests and videos. If work is paying, why not get both and a few books. You will need a book even if you are going to use only one of these options.
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wiu81 wrote: »
    Have any of you used this program to prepare for an exam? Everyone seems to use CBT Nuggets. My employer is offering to pay for a 70-640 course at a CC or purchase the course in Labsim.

Thoughts???

I like it but use other resources as well.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used the old Linux+ for the Linux+ 2009, for the 70-290, and for the SQL Server 2005 exam and to review for the SQL Server 2008 exams.

Loved those.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    I used testout and cbt nuggets as my main study sources.
    For the 70-640 exam the testout videos were less than impressive but their notes and labs were fantastic.
    Keep in mind that neither Testout or CBTNuggets have updated their courses yet to cover R2 content.
    I did email Testout and they say that they will be releasing the updated versions around June. If they actually do update the videos for the 70-640 series then i would recommend you go with testout for your whole 2008 cert track
  • Options
    wiu81wiu81 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alokin123 wrote: »
    I used testout and cbt nuggets as my main study sources.
    For the 70-640 exam the testout videos were less than impressive but their notes and labs were fantastic.
    Keep in mind that neither Testout or CBTNuggets have updated their courses yet to cover R2 content.
    I did email Testout and they say that they will be releasing the updated versions around June. If they actually do update the videos for the 70-640 series then i would recommend you go with testout for your whole 2008 cert track

Thanks. For the info.
  • Options
    gui4lifegui4life Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat as wiu81. I am not sure if i should get Labsim or CBTnuggets.
  • Options
    gui4life wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as wiu81. I am not sure if i should get Labsim or CBTnuggets.

You can get both if you are creative. Join a college (community/junior) and sign up for a course. You can get LabSIMs @ $50+ each. CBT Nuggets can be used freely as long as you are enrolled in an IT Course. Ofcourse, you can also let anyone with a EDU e-mail help you buy LabSims at discount rates.
  • Options
    gui4lifegui4life Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    You can get both if you are creative. Join a college (community/junior) and sign up for a course. You can get LabSIMs @ $50+ each. CBT Nuggets can be used freely as long as you are enrolled in an IT Course. Ofcourse, you can also let anyone with a EDU e-mail help you buy LabSims at discount rates.
    Sweet. I didnt know that. I am a student. I will have to check that out.
  • Options
    gui4life wrote: »
    Sweet. I didnt know that. I am a student. I will have to check that out.

I think you will probably have to be a college student that TestOut has the discounts for. As far as I can tell, there are a few (may be 2 or 3) discount codes that can be used. You can also use other college's code. TestOut only checks if the code is valid or if the college is in their system.

If your instructor(s) didn't tell you how to buy LabSim, your college is not signed up with LabSIM. Or may be you just started college. Many of the community colleges use LabSim as part of the course. In other words, LabSims are used in grading. Looks like your college doesn't. You may have to go through a friend or ask your instructor(s). If Labsims are used for your college courses, you could even buy them from the college bookstore.
  • Options
    KMYostKMYost Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Labsim to get the A+, the Network+, the Security+ and the Server+, the exams were all very easy after the courses. They discontinued the Server+ right after I took it. Then I took the CCNA labsim and was completely stunned at how poorly it related to the exam. I bombed the exam, and I don't think the Labsim course is a good way to go with the CCNA. They have microsoft server courses as well, but don't take them because the guy who does them sucks ass and has a voice so annoying that you won't be able to concentrate. And no, I'm NOT kidding. Bottom line they had an excellent crew do the Comptia stuff but the Cisco and Microsoft courses suck ass.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KMYost wrote: »
    I used Labsim to get the A+, the Network+, the Security+ and the Server+, the exams were all very easy after the courses. They discontinued the Server+ right after I took it. Then I took the CCNA labsim and was completely stunned at how poorly it related to the exam. I bombed the exam, and I don't think the Labsim course is a good way to go with the CCNA. They have microsoft server courses as well, but don't take them because the guy who does them sucks ass and has a voice so annoying that you won't be able to concentrate. And no, I'm NOT kidding. Bottom line they had an excellent crew do the Comptia stuff but the Cisco and Microsoft courses suck ass.

I agree with the CompTia stuff. I used it for Network+ and Security+ (Darril's book for Sec+ as well) and was well prepared. I am currently using them for SSCP, but this is out of date. Using it since it was included with the bundle my work purchased. I also have Darril's book for the SSCP.

Thanks for the info on the Cisco and MS side of the house.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!