Options

70-640 - not happy

djm11djm11 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Another whinge thread? Maybe...

In March I decided to head down the MCITP route, and last week I took 640 and failed with 679. I was surprised to find so many questions that didnt seem to be related to the study I undertook and also memorisation questions (command line switches etc). I used CBT nuggets and ucertify exams along with sites like technet and I had a 2008 box to poke around on. After reading about the exam updates to R2 (which obviously none of my study aids were) I looked deeper into this, and further into command switches. Today I took the exam again and somehow managed to score 638 and the transcript showed my weaknesses were in my strong areas from the last exam?! It was also very strange that I was asked questions about W2K3 boxes running in a W2K domain - this is a 2008 exam!

Its the first time I've been to this place and I took both exams there, but I'm becoming sceptical of the scoring systems now especially because they keep it so secretive. Have there previously been any issues with the exam systems? My computer also crashed while I took the exam. Its the first MS exam I've had any trouble with...

Comments

• Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    Did you use any practice questions? I use the 30 day online access at Kaplan and the 30 day online access at Measure up. The combo usually cost me around $150. However, I'm 4 for 4 on Microsoft exams since adding these practice questions to my study material.

The questions are not an exact match to what's on the exams but the style of the questions is similar! It really helps. I usually spend two weeks doing nothing but pounding out these questions over and over until I am getting close to 100%.

The practice questions also help me identify my weaker areas and I can spend some time reviewing the specific topics. It sounds like you are just on the cusp of passing. I'd recommend that you use at least one of the website's practice questions and then give it another shot. You have to wait a week anyway right? That's a week you can spend on practice questions and reviewing a few specific topics. :D

Good luck. Let us know when you pass and what helps you get over the hump. Not just for my sake but maybe another person will read this thread and gain something from it!
  • Options
    Yeah, ucertify. I was scoring quite well on those practices, I did all of them. The real exam was quite different and now I dont really feel like they helped much at all.

I think now I might skip to 642 and 646. I'll come back to 640 later...
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    djm11 wrote: »
    Yeah, ucertify. I was scoring quite well on those practices, I did all of them. The real exam was quite different and now I dont really feel like they helped much at all.

I think now I might skip to 642 and 646. I'll come back to 640 later...

I'm not familiar with ucertify. You can purchase the 30 day online access for Kaplan for either $50 or $70 bucks. Measure Up is usually $80. Try one of them before giving up. You are very close. You probably failed by just a few questions.
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jander1023 wrote: »
    Did you use any practice questions? I use the 30 day online access at Kaplan and the 30 day online access at Measure up.

The questions are not an exact match to what's on the exams but the style of the questions is similar! It really helps.

The practice questions also help me identify my weaker areas and I can spend some time reviewing the specific topics.

Not just for my sake but maybe another person will read this thread and gain something from it!

Well, Jander, you've actually helped me so thank you. I'm new to the Microsoft exams so I've been curious about how close the Kaplan and Measure Up exam question are in style (I have both). I wasn't looking for a brain **** by any means, just haven't taken any tests since college so I needed to get back in test mode.

That said, I've gone through the MS press book and have the Exam Cram book to reference as I lab like crazy. Taking the 640 in June.
  • Options
    ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    djm11 wrote: »
    Another whinge thread? Maybe...

In March I decided to head down the MCITP route, and last week I took 640 and failed with 679. I was surprised to find so many questions that didnt seem to be related to the study I undertook and also memorisation questions (command line switches etc). I used CBT nuggets and ucertify exams along with sites like technet and I had a 2008 box to poke around on. After reading about the exam updates to R2 (which obviously none of my study aids were) I looked deeper into this, and further into command switches. Today I took the exam again and somehow managed to score 638 and the transcript showed my weaknesses were in my strong areas from the last exam?! It was also very strange that I was asked questions about W2K3 boxes running in a W2K domain - this is a 2008 exam!

Its the first time I've been to this place and I took both exams there, but I'm becoming sceptical of the scoring systems now especially because they keep it so secretive. Have there previously been any issues with the exam systems? My computer also crashed while I took the exam. Its the first MS exam I've had any trouble with...

Very sorry to hear this man. In my honest opinion the Microsoft exams ask very obscure questions almost intentionally to throw you off. There's really no true way to fully be prepared. You have to be able to comprehend the question, and use your best judgement of AD and Server Roles to select the best answer. No matter what resource you use to study you're never going to find the question types that are asked on the exams. I got very obscure questions about powershell switches and syntax and I had to use my knowledge of Powershell and use my best judgement as to how cmdlets are formed and Microsofts odd naming conventions to pick the best answer. I used CBT Nuggets and the Sybex book and this prepared me for i'd say 60-70% of the exam material tops. The rest is up to you to really analyze and figure out on the fly. it helps to go through an eliminate all answers that make no sense first then go back and pick the best one out of the remaining two or so. I failed the 70-640 my first ago around with a 638 and I was miserable. Studied my weak areas for a few hours a day for 10 days, came back and got an 850 or so. Best of luck to you man.
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck with this exam.
    As to having 2k3 boxes in your system you should get used to it, most of my questions on the 70-647 had 2k3 servers involved somewhere. A lot of stuff from 2k3 hasn't changed in 2k8 and you need to know what has and how they work together and how you have to deal with it.
    MS is constantly changing up their exams (and exam formats) to stay ahead of the braindumps. Unfortunately they also make it hard on up and coming test takers who are trying to honestly improve their IT careers. I took my bumps on the way to getting my MCITP:EA. It took me 4 tries to pass the 70-643 and the only one of the tests I scored over an 800 on was the Vista OS exam (70-620) and most people here regard that test as a real joke. The test writers basically wrote the test like it was geared toward people dealing only with home users and from a standpoint of the enterprise user and not an enterprise IT Tech.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On the uCertify prep questions I have for the 70-640 (I might have to get STS or Transcenders at some point....) and the Sybex 2008 R2 guide, I get 2K3 questions that relate to what I have to if I have a functional 2K3 forest/domain if I want to set up something like finely-grained password policies (which at some point we want to do for staff, but not students...we had concluded at my own shop that the domain will have to be on 2008 R2 for that to happen...) So yeah, I full expect 2K3 to be a part of this exam. Past versions have to be mentioned as there is a correct way to go from one version to another when dealing with DCs.

I am sure you will do well next time. Just don't give up.
  • Options
    FixOSGuyFixOSGuy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't get discouraged. I would recommend you build a mixed 2003/2008 lab and go with more hands-on exercises.

Take more time and don't rush the process. You do well the next time!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry you didn't pass icon_sad.gif

You'll pass next time icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks guys I'll keep trying. Glad I found this forum, there are so many useful resources here!

Re the W2K3 question - I expected questions incl 2003 boxes, but this had no mention of 2008 at all.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I feel a little better after reading the posts on this thread. I failed my 70-640 exam couple weeks ago. Just wasn't expecting so many command line questions and obscure tech questions. Going to retake the 70-640 tomorrow and if I fail again, gonna move on to 70-642.

GL to the OP. I hope we both pass.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    djm11,

Don't get downhearted, you were within 1 or 2 questions of passing.

Re the MS exam questions, my tactic in the exam room is to read the end of the question first where it actually states what MS wants to know. I then read the whole question carefully and more than once (even if I think I know the answer straightaway).

As others have noted MS change their exams around frequently now and do not reveal anything about scoring methodologies. I've also found in MCITP level exams like 647 for the 4 answers to be in some way correct so the candidate has to pick the "Microsoft" correct answer which isn't always what is real world best practice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    LCA wrote: »

I've also found in MCITP level exams like 647 for the 4 answers to be in some way correct so the candidate has to pick the "Microsoft" correct answer which isn't always what is real world best practice.

Ah the Microsoft way. So many bitter memories of failing the 70-290 twice.....
  • Options
    ssimon01ssimon01 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OMG.. tooooo many obscure DNS, DNS COMMANDLINE and CERTIFICATE questions... I flunked this thing bad. Understood the concepts and questions on the Transcender and still failed. Microsoft has a tough one here.... Score was 445.