Options

CBT Nuggest Question

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Team,
I am thinking of putting $199.00 Dollors down for the CBT Nuggets Netowrk Plus cd.
Has anyone used them and if so ? How would you rate them?

At the moment I am useing Exam Cram 2 by Mike Harwood.
and the Exam Cram 2 500 Network Plus Questions by Charles J. Brooks
Plus this sites Cramsession. I am studying very hard but I am having some trouble with key concepts. I don't want to brain **** this test just to pass. I want to be able to know what I am talking about. Anyways, It was suggested to me to use CBT Nuggets. I am also concerned with the Network Plus changeing sometime in 2005 weather I should just hold off untill CBT updates there material in order to relect the new changes?

Please Advise
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    You may want to try purchasing the technotes from this site first, you could end up paying only $7 instead of $200.
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • Options
    jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    I used them for my exam & found them were VERY helpful understanding concepts that I couldn't get from just reading. As for new Net+ exam, it will be available May 1, 2005. When R U taking your exam? I think they are good enough to help you pass the exam even after CompTIA changes over to the new 2005 objectives. You might also want to look into http://www.transcender.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=Pak%2DNETWK%2B For $229.00 (just $30.00 more), it gives you TransTrainer CBT and "Over 210 exceptionally realistic practice exam questions" .... icon_wink.gif

I've never used Transcender's CBTs, but their practice exams are the BEST you can buy! (IMHO)
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • Options
    I have'nt set a date but at the end of April I am quiting my seconed job in order to devote more time to studying for my A+ and Network Plus test.

I have a small home network and I try stuff but I learn hands on and since I can't afford a trade school right now I want some Prime instruction.
    Like I said earler, I am haveing a hard time with key concepts and need someome to explain the Hows and the Why's on certin things.

My end goal is two be one of two things.
    1. Be a part of Verizion Security
    2. Join Law Enforcement and help catch "White Coller crooks"
    I wanna see people like Kennith Lay go to Jail.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    1. Be a part of Verizion Security

Could you have them fix my DSL first?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    I haven't set a date but at the end of April I am quiting my seconed job in order to devote more time to studying for my A+ and Network Plus test.

For A+, I would recco Mike Myers AIO, very well written, easy to understand. For Net+, I recco the $6.95technotes, all you need in my opinion to pass Net+.
    /usr wrote:
    Could you have them fix my DSL first?

After talking to some people over here, I found a few things to speed up my cable.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    Ricka182 wrote:
    For Net+, I recco the $6.95technotes, all you need in my opinion to pass Net+.

I think the point mgmguy1 is trying to make is that he needs something else besides reading to understand key concepts hence the topic of his post. Some training materials other than books that you can use are audio training CDs like the ones Transcender & Preplogic offer and pratice exams that the above also offer. Of couse CBT training like CBT Nuggets and Learnkey are also a good alternative. I use a mix of reading (Exam Cram2/Mike Myers), pratice exams(trancenders/preplogic) and CBTs (CBT Nuggets/Learnkey) to prep for an exam. I know it looks like over kill, but I don't use/buy all of the above for every exam, but I have used all the products at least once for a test.
    I'm not knocking the Technotes available here, they are very good and I have used them myself. It's just sometimes you may need more ... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • Options
    Sorry usr, I'd love to be able to help you but I deal in Fullment, not in Technical support or Order Status Issues.

One of the reasons I work want to get my A+ and Network Plus is so I can Improve my skillset within the Company. I have done a-lot of customer service over the years either over the phone or in person and while I am good at doing my job my heart is not in it.
    I'd love to be fixing computers or troubleshooting networks.
    Being apart of Verizon security means I will have more challenges.
    Plus the Paygrade will be better then what I make now:)

Fats Domino
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    mgmguy, as you can tell in your recent studies, Network+ is mostly theory based. Except for TCP/IP applications (ping, tracert, etc) and IP addressing, you can't really do anything with a home lab IMO. I'd say the key to this test is your knowledge of the OSI model. Personally, I read about the OSI model so much that it's nature to me now. I will never look at networking the same way again (I'm always thinking about the layers and how hardware interacts). Anyway, good luck with your studies and the test. We know you'll do great.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Learnkey CBTs featuring Mike Meyers, plus his great AIO book. Couple those with the excellent special edition notes here and you should breeze in.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    I have CBT nuggets Network+ CD`s, at first when looking into networking i didnt understand it, but reading books over and a over and then watching the CBT nuggets it clicked!, i would highly recommend them.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the videos are ok. i would never purchase them, but i have tons of them ;) Newsgroups Dude!

I seem to learn a ton more from reading the books tho.
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    I prefer to read a book, if i dont understand it i go for the video appoach and watch how it works, then go back to the book. I like watching CBT videos but sometimes have the habbit of loosing concentration and falling asleep, it dont happen with a book :D