Options

Best books for MCITP : EA?

gui4lifegui4life Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Whats the best book/series for studying for the MCITP EA certs? I am having a hard time finding what the best books are. I hear Microsoft just changed their tests to have R2 content in them, so the books should have that.

I want to take the Windows 7 test first.

I will also be getting Testout Lab Sim or CBT Nuggets.

Work will be paying for my training materials.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    AFAIK, the MS Press books are not yet upto R2 yet. There is the Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed and Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2 books that are upto R2, but these are more reference material rather than exam material. TechNet (free) is the one resource I can vouch for. I have also heard good things about the Resource Kits (not free). CBT Nuggets are usually good, but they are not yet R2 either, again AFAIK.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    austin010507austin010507 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Use the MS Press books. The 70-680 (Windows 7 exam) press book is obviously current. 70-640 and 70-643 have 2nd edition MS Press books with R2 content coming out on July 1st and 15th respectively, and 70-642 has it's 2nd edition with R2 content already released. 70-647 is expected to have a 2nd edition released sometime, although there isn't an official release date yet (although by the time you're ready for it I'm sure it will be available).
    In addition to the press books, use TrainSignal (videos). TrainSignal covers all the topics within the exams, but they do not go into great depth. For depth, use the press books (reading), or CBT nuggets (videos). I must warn you though, CBT nuggets are BORING and the guy talking is annoying!
    In addition, LAB. Labing is the absolute best method to learn. Microsoft has free labs (see Claymore's posts for links) online you could use, although they are limited and don't let you do anything you want. Good luck, and keep me posted on your progress as I'm pursuing an MCITP EA as well!
  • Options
    wood299wood299 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Professor messer has the same content as the CBT nuggets but it is free. The MS press are error filled as everyone knows and Im not sure how much they would prepare you for the 680 test. It helps with ruling out with some answers but does not provide advanced technical concepts that are within the tests. Do alot of technet research as well as labs. Study hard!
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Whats professor messer? Its the first I've heard of it.

Anyway, I have the Ms press books, and I have ordered these two books (ordered them a while ago, but have yet to receive them)

Amazon.com: MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide (Exams 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643) (9780470948460): William Panek: Books

Amazon.com: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (9780470532867): Mark Minasi, Darril Gibson, Aidan Finn, Wendy Henry, Byron Hynes: Books

I am currently studying for 70-640.
    I must warn you though, CBT nuggets are BORING and the guy talking is annoying!

I did not find him boring on the MCSA track, but I have to admit, I do find him annoying on the 640 videos so far, and he also does seem a bit uninspired at times.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    Exam101Exam101 Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Gui4life,
    I wanted to wish you good luck with your tests. I will be pursuing the same and after hearing from a few in this forum I think it makes more sense to take the core tests before the Win 7 test. I looked at the Sybex book as well. I appears that it includes three of the exams in one book just not 70-647 I read some bad reviews on the Sybex books of late and it worried me. Did you happen to hear or read some good reviews about this book? Anyone else have any thoughts on this book.

Are there any thoughts on which one or two exams to study for first while waiting for the July release of the new R2 training kit? It really upsets me to read that MS has started testing for R2 on their exams but haven't even released the updated training kit books yet!!!! What a crock!
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If this is any help, I'm studying for the 640 now (scheduled 6/6). I have the Kaplan Self Test practice exam and it has a lot of questions relating to R2, so I'd bet that it would offer it for the other exams as well.