Get certified as a CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) — for free!

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
Unfortuantly I do not live anywhere near the "selected" test centers. But figured some on this forum do.

Good luck.
Get certified as a CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) — for free!

We have extended the testing deadline for the beta exam. The deadline for taking this exam — at no charge — is now Saturday May 21st.

The target participant is a technical security practitioner with 10 years of experience in IT, and at least 5 years of hands-on information security design and implementation experience at the enterprise level.

This new exam beta is offered only at select Pearson VUE testing centers. If you are close to a participating center, please review the target audience for the new certification, and consider whether you qualify. In order for CompTIA to get useful beta statistics, it is important that those who take the exam are at the experience level that we're targeting.

The exam is free, but will only be available for the first 400 candidates. This is a first come, first served opportunity. After 400 people have taken the exam, no more beta exams will be delivered. (Those who have registered but have not yet taken the exam will be notified by VUE if the exam has been closed.)

***Results from the exam (pass/fail) will not be available until the live exam launches, sometime in the fourth quarter of 2011. Your results will be sent to you directly at that time, no exceptions.***

If you fit the profile of the target candidate for the CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner, and you are able to travel to one of the confirmed VUE testing centers, we do hope you will take the exam. The CompTIA exam code for the CASP beta, for registration purposes, is CA1-001.

Visit CompTIA Testing with Pearson VUE to enter your zip code, locate your chosen center (remember, choose one from this list), and schedule the test. If you don't have a VUE account, follow the steps to set one up before you register. When you are asked to pay for the exam, enter the discount code caspbetacb to register at no charge. Please do not distribute this code to others, unless they are interested colleagues whose work role and experience fit CompTIA's criteria for the target candidate.

Please go to support.comptia.org if you have questions, or dial 630-678-8300, option 5, for questions that are not answered on the support site.

Thank you, and best wishes,
Director, Product Management, CompTIA Security+ and CASP
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm taking it on the 19th. I'll probably just browse my SSCP study book and see if I can pass it. Should be fun if nothing else icon_wink.gif
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm taking it on the 19th. I'll probably just browse my SSCP study book and see if I can pass it. Should be fun if nothing else icon_wink.gif

There are no locations in Charleston offering it, otherwise I'd take it.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    rwmidl wrote: »
    There are no locations in Charleston offering it, otherwise I'd take it.

With college class and all I'm not sure how hard I will study for it. I've looked at the objectives and it's much more about the theory than the Security+. I actually like the looks of the certification. I'm curious to see what kind of up keep this certification will require to keep it current. Will it be like the CISSP or the A+, Net+, and Sec+?

I've also noticed that there is a book coming out for it: Amazon.com: CASP CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner Certification Study Guide (Certification Press) (9780071776202): Wm. Arthur Conklin: Books
    With college class and all I'm not sure how hard I will study for it. I've looked at the objectives and it's much more about the theory than the Security+. I actually like the looks of the certification. I'm curious to see what kind of up keep this certification will require to keep it current. Will it be like the CISSP or the A+, Net+, and Sec+?

I've also noticed that there is a book coming out for it: Amazon.com: CASP CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner Certification Study Guide (Certification Press) (9780071776202): Wm. Arthur Conklin: Books

I just looked at the requirements (here) and it seems more technical than theoretical (technical theory??). I'm sure you'll do a smashup review once you've taken it (unless of course you have some sort of NDA where you can't talk about it until the test is "live").
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Can you only get the listing of test centers by actually signing up for the exam? My PV account expired and I had to sign up for it again. I was informed that I'll be receiving my account information "within one business day." icon_mad.gif
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I just looked at the requirements (here) and it seems more technical than theoretical (technical theory??). I'm sure you'll do a smashup review once you've taken it (unless of course you have some sort of NDA where you can't talk about it until the test is "live").

Hmm I didn't see anything about an NDA from CompTIA. I'll read closely before the exam though. I'm going to cram study for the 19th and see if I can pass the exam.

Another thought: The exam according to PearsonVue is going to be over $300.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Can you only get the listing of test centers by actually signing up for the exam? My PV account expired and I had to sign up for it again. I was informed that I'll be receiving my account information "within one business day." icon_mad.gif

JD;

Here is the "list" of exam centers that are offering the beta.
    Hmm I didn't see anything about an NDA from CompTIA. I'll read closely before the exam though. I'm going to cram study for the 19th and see if I can pass the exam.

Another thought: The exam according to PearsonVue is going to be over $300.

With that price point, it seems CompTIA is trying to hit the "requirements" for the CISSP but with a lower price point...
    Thanks! The university that I've taken many of my cert exams is on there. Now if I can just sign up on time.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Not a single testing center in Florida icon_cry.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I cant take it icon_sad.gif
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
    I decided not to wait and called PV (877-551-7587) to schedule. Apparently, there is a code in the email that must be given to schedule the CA1-001 beta exam. I then called CompTIA (630-678-8300, option 5) and asked if I could get a code. I was told the names of the people who were sent the emails are drawn randomly. There is a fixed number of people selected and they do not issue any more. icon_sad.gif
  • Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JD the code from the email is in pm just sent.
    JD the code from the email is *****.

Um, I'm guessing from the e-mail that we are not suppose to be mass distributing that code.

edit: I'm blonde, I didn't realize that was already in the original post. I had already seen that in my e-mail so it didn't hit me to look at it. I'm just trying to avoid annoying CompTIA.
    Perhaps, it is in the original post as well. I can delete it from my post.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Given the fact that comptia knows my location and still sent me a code to use I don't think the codes are "named". The nearest testing center is 300 miles from me.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    I dont think so either azjag, I recieved the same code.
    I dont think so either azjag, I recieved the same code.

Same here...
    I completely missed seeing the code in the posted email. Thanks to everyone who PM'ed it to me. And yes, all the emails have the same code. From the email:
    Please do not distribute this code to others, unless they are interested colleagues whose work role and experience fit CompTIA's criteria for the target candidate.

OK, I'm in on May 21 at 11:30AM. icon_cheers.gif
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got the e-mail and scheduled it and will attempt to pass the exam looking at the blue print looks like i got a good idea on whats going on after all you can't beat a free exam :).
  • Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    The list of sites are all in the US. It isn't entirely representative of the world......
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I completely missed seeing the code in the posted email. Thanks to everyone who PM'ed it to me. And yes, all the emails have the same code. From the email:
    Please do not distribute this code to others, unless they are interested colleagues whose work role and experience fit CompTIA's criteria for the target candidate.

OK, I'm in on May 21 at 11:30AM. icon_cheers.gif

I figured that the majority of the contributors to this forum would possess the work role and experience for what Comptia wants for candidates. Which is why I posted it for my interested colleagues. ;)

Also;
    We have extended the testing deadline for the beta exam. The deadline for taking this exam — at no charge — is now Saturday May 21st.

means they didn't get 400 bodies in the original deadline and needed to extend it.

Good luck on the exam for all those who can take it.
    Currently Studying:
    This test should be interesting. I'm curious to see what those that have taken the CISSP think of the exam.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a test center about 90 miles away... not sure if it will be worth it, especially since they are not giving out results for several months. Back when I did the 2002 Network+ Beta (in 2001), I found out within two weeks... of course, that was a revision of an existing cert, so it is different.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice find, to bad my nearest center is almost 178 mile away. Guess I'll have to catch it on the flip,
    Got an email today:
    Thank you for registering for the CASP beta exam. CompTIA greatly appreciates your engagement. Due to the great interest of security practitioners like you, we expect to reach our goal of 400 exams ahead of schedule, sometime this Friday May 11th or early Saturday May 12th.

We respect your time, and hope to avoid inconvenience for anyone, so please note the following:
    • If you are registered for May 11th or May 12th, make sure to call your testing center before traveling there, and ask if the test is still available.

• If you are registered for the exam after Saturday May 12th, thank you so much, but the exam will no longer be available.

Thanks to all who registered for the CASP beta exam. We appreciate your support.

Thank you, and best wishes,
    Director, Product Management, CompTIA Security+ and CASP

Looks like the window is closing quickly. Will probally be officially over by time my appointment is.
    I'm thinking the same thing...
    icon_sad.gif
    I shoulda scheduled my exam for 9AM and not 11:30AM on the 12th. Maybe there will be some no-shows and I'll still get in.
    You know whats funny... Unless all my clocks and such are wrong today is the Thursday the 12th and tomorrow is Friday the 13th... Yet that email has the dates and day of the week a bit off.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□