Options

resized vm

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys

I want to resize the vm..here is my plan.

1. power off vm
2. edit size of vm D drive from 40 GB to 100GB
3. power on vm
4. install a partition manager on it
5. increase size of D drive with this.

sound good of is there something I am missing?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If its the system/boot partition you want to grow and the guest is Windows Vista/Server 2008 or later you can skip the powering off part and do it live. Just edit the VM settings, grow the VMDK disk size, save it, open Disk Management on the server and right-click Extend the volume.
  • Options
    sweeet thanks men! appreciate it. just wantedto make sure
    I didnt have any snags ;) super yeah I have to increase our WSUS server

what size do you think a WSUS server should be? 40 GB will up fast in 2 years..is that normal? was going to push it to 80GB or 100GB?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The powering off part shouldn't be necessary for you since it's the D drive. Use Diskpart.

My WSUS server is pushing 100GB... it just depends on how many different Microsoft products you are supporting and which updates you are approving.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    My WSUS server is pushing 100GB... it just depends on how many different Microsoft products you are supporting and which updates you are approving.
    Don't forget languages. Selecting only the languages in use will save a lot of disk space.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    100gigs is not a lot for a WSUS server. I cant tell you how many times I had to increase the disk size of our WSUS VM.
  • Options
    thank guys..yeah crap I turned it back on and it took up easily 14 GB more
    now I have 26GB left....crap! looks like it might get its own stand along 1TB mirror hahahaha;)

Is there any way I can delete old stuff or clean it up?
  • Options
    nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    thank guys..yeah crap I turned it back on and it took up easily 14 GB more
    now I have 26GB left....crap! looks like it might get its own stand along 1TB mirror hahahaha;)

Is there any way I can delete old stuff or clean it up?

Server cleanup wizard under options.

How do you do this to the primary partition (c: ) ?

On my WSUS under Disk Management I have Disk 0 - C:50GB NTFS then 100GB Unallocated.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Server cleanup wizard under options.

How do you do this to the primary partition (c: ) ?

On my WSUS under Disk Management I have Disk 0 - C:50GB NTFS then 100GB Unallocated.
    If it's 2008 you can just right-click on it and extend the volume, if it's 2003 or earlier use a bootable CD like GParted Live (bootable ISO) to extend it.
  • Options
    You can also boot from a Windows Vista/7/2008 install disk, use the repair option to get a command prompt, and follow the link I posted to use diskpart.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    Another trick to get the primary partition to increase that has the OS installed on is power down the VM the vmdk is apart of and attach that vmdk file to another windows VM. Then increase the drive size and attach that vmdk as the d:\ drive on the new VM. After you size the drive accordingly remove it from the second vm and power on the original vm.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    If it's 2008 you can just right-click on it and extend the volume, if it's 2003 or earlier use a bootable CD like GParted Live (bootable ISO) to extend it.

+1 - This is exactly what I do and it works flawlessly. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    astorrs wrote: »

Doesn't gparted use sector based resizing though, which can take flippin hours ?!? Never used it though - so I might have the wrong end of the stick ..

For 2003 I simply boot up with a 2008 CD and use the command prompt under the repair options to use diskpart..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    Doesn't gparted use sector based resizing though, which can take flippin hours ?!? Never used it though - so I might have the wrong end of the stick ..

For 2003 I simply boot up with a 2008 CD and use the command prompt under the repair options to use diskpart..

Just extended a VM from 60GB to 100GB and it took ~2 minutes using gparted.
  • Options
    nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Used Win7 disc and booted to the command prompt and used Diskpart. Worked perfectly, WSUS is now functioning perfectly!

Thanks guys!