Options

MCITP:SA Updated videos for R2?

elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I just passed the 70-640 using CBT nuggets + the MS Press book neither of which are updated for the R2 content. I mostly used the stickies in this forum to review the R2 material.

I'm moving onto the 70-642 and was wondering if anyone knew of any cbt providers that have video content updated for the R2 exams? or even the release dates (if any) for the newer videos at CBT nuggets, trainsignal, testout etc. I am planning on also purchasing the 2nd edition MS press books for these exams but ideally I would really like some videos to compliment them as I prefer the videos to reading.

Comments

• Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm relating also to the stickies in this forum for R2 updates, and Technet is pretty up-to-date also...

(now if I may, without stealing your thread)
    So you're saying that you were able to pass the 640 with minimal R2 study, In your experience R2 wasn't that huge part of the exam?
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've heard someone here say CBT Nuggets have an R2 update planned for their videos but using the latest R2 books would be far more beneficial in my opinion. You could contact them and get an official confirmation.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know labsim will be doing updates either in June or July. Pretty much the same time that MS releases their updated guides.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Ivanr4g63 wrote: »
    So you're saying that you were able to pass the 640 with minimal R2 study, In your experience R2 wasn't that huge part of the exam?

No, Unfortunately it seemed to be a very large part of the exam icon_sad.gif and I really didn't like having to go to so many sources to get the info. I guess I'll shoot off some emails for release dates for some of the new video content and see what I can find out.
  • Options
    For anyone who is interested I emailed testout / Trainsignal / CBT Nuggets for their release dates. I asked for release dates for the MCITP:EA and SA series. Response are below:

Testout: "Our development team is currently working on adding the R2 content to the MCITP courses. These courses are scheduled to be released one at a time starting in June with 70-640 and then the rest throughout the Summer and into the Fall."

Trainsignal: "Thank you for contacting Train Signal, Inc. The Windows Server 2008 product line is up to date with R2. We updated the Active Directory and Applications Infrastructure courses as these were the courses containing material affected by R2."

CBT Nuggets: "The R2 content is being completed as we speak, and I'll let you know precisely when it is done."

So it appears new content is being release by CBT Nuggets and Testout in the near future and I think from what I am gathering trainsignal have the 70-640 and 70-643? updated for R2 content but not any others in the MCITP path and don't look like they will be updating it. Hopefully this info is useful to someone when selecting which video series to purchase/hold out for on the MCITP SA/EA path.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    elad123 wrote: »
    For anyone who is interested I emailed testout / Trainsignal / CBT Nuggets for their release dates. I asked for release dates for the MCITP:EA and SA series. Response are below:

Testout: "Our development team is currently working on adding the R2 content to the MCITP courses. These courses are scheduled to be released one at a time starting in June with 70-640 and then the rest throughout the Summer and into the Fall."

Trainsignal: "Thank you for contacting Train Signal, Inc. The Windows Server 2008 product line is up to date with R2. We updated the Active Directory and Applications Infrastructure courses as these were the courses containing material affected by R2."

CBT Nuggets: "The R2 content is being completed as we speak, and I'll let you know precisely when it is done."

So it appears new content is being release by CBT Nuggets and Testout in the near future and I think from what I am gathering trainsignal have the 70-640 and 70-643? updated for R2 content but not any others in the MCITP path and don't look like they will be updating it. Hopefully this info is useful to someone when selecting which video series to purchase/hold out for on the MCITP SA/EA path.

One thing that annoys me about the updated TS videos is that they were not done with the exams in mind. When the updated 70-640 videos were released the Recycle Bin wasnt covered as you can read at this review: Review of Train Signal Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Training - Manoj's blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

And i beleive the 70-643 updated vidoes were released before MS updated the exam objectives for the 70-643. They should stop advertising the videos as being "complete exam coverage" which they clearly are not.
  • Options
    For anyone interested I have just finished watching the trainsignal 70-642 course it is a pretty good course but it's lacking some material which is annoying, Keep in mind I haven't taken the actual exam yet as I'm still going through the ms press book and CBT nuggets but this is a mini review:

Good Stuff:
    -Set out like a big LAB for you to follow along.
    -Instructor is likable enough, and easy to listen to.
    -Some topics are covered really well, I thought the DNS section was really good.
    -The videos also guide you through your own lab setup which is really good and saves time.
    -transcender practice exam tests included in package.

Bad Stuff:
    -In general less theory on topics and more practical demo's.
    -Some topics are way to light, IPv6 and RADIUS are two examples they are hardly mentioned.
    - R2 content not included (already knew this when purchasing however)
    - Some topics are missing: nothing on gathering network data, SNMP, network monitor etc it's not mentioned at all.
  • Options
    TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I spoke with our Product Team and was informed that videos on the Recycle Bin will be added to our online training library by the end of the day today.

Thanks alokin123 & elad123 on the feedback. We review our courses continually and love feedback on what you feel could be expanded or included. If you have further feedback feel free to email me at eric[at]trainsignal[dot]com or PM on these forums.